Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?  

262 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

    • Yes, all foreigners should show proof of insurance or be required to purchase it before entering the Kingdom.
      101
    • No, foreigners should not have to show or purchase insurance.
      147


Recommended Posts

Yes...

 

For your own protection.

 

I  recommended travel insurance to a friend in Costa Rica and he laughed.

 

About a month later he was walking across the street and got hit by a motorcycle at high-speed and broke his pelvis and fractured his leg in two places. He was taken to a government hospital, at the same time all the doctors went on strike so he had to lay in bed for 2 1/2 weeks with broken bones and no prescriptions for pain medication.  He will be crippled for life as bones have to be reset as soon as possible for best results.

 

If he had travel insurance he could have gone to many fine private hospitals immediately.

 

Private  hospitals in Costa Rica now require a minimum of $20,000 credit line on a credit card/s before they will admit a patient. Probably more for his injuries.  He didn't have it.

 

Travel insurance will also cover air ambulance service to your home country and cover some nursing care.

 

Most if not all International Major Medical Policies and travel Insurance policies no longer cover accidents when you are riding on motorcycle taxis.  Something to ponder before getting on one, especially with no eye protection, nor helmet!

 

Some countries will not allow you to leave with a medical lien and some will not let you back in with outstanding medical bills in that country.

 

The more free loaders that burn hospitals on bills, the hospitals have to charge more to cover losses which drive up Insurance premiums for everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having insurance is always a good thing up until the insurance company believes that you are too old, 70, 75 or so and then cancels the insurance.

 

Would the government then say, sorry you are too old and have no insurance. No more extensions for you. Out you go?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

I believe the survey should offer more options. For example, I think that those coming for Visa-exempt stays of 30 days, should not necessarily require such health insurance. Whereas all who want to stay longer, SETV or METV or any sort of non-immigrant Visas, should show proof of a health insurance. But then again: How do they want to check those insurances? There is no standard policy and it could be in a language that is not understood (and no, I don't mean English in this case).

Grandfathering must taken into account as well, or do they really want to kick out that 78 year old who has lived in the country for 20+ years without any wrongdoing only because he does not have health insurance (but enough money to care for his life and probably his Thai family members). Of course they COULD do that but it would be inhuman

Inhumane! Do you really believe that would be a consideration?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Yes...

 

For your own protection.

 

I  recommended travel insurance to a friend in Costa Rica and he laughed.

 

About a month later he was walking across the street and got hit by a motorcycle at high-speed and broke his pelvis and fractured his leg in two places. He was taken to a government hospital, at the same time all the doctors went on strike so he had to lay in bed for 2 1/2 weeks with broken bones and no prescriptions for pain medication.  He will be crippled for life as bones have to be reset as soon as possible for best results.

 

If he had travel insurance he could have gone to many fine private hospitals immediately.

 

Private  hospitals in Costa Rica now require a minimum of $20,000 credit line on a credit card/s before they will admit a patient. Probably more for his injuries.  He didn't have it.

 

Travel insurance will also cover air ambulance service to your home country and cover some nursing care.

 

Most if not all International Major Medical Policies and travel Insurance policies no longer cover accidents when you are riding on motorcycle taxis.  Something to ponder before getting on one, especially with no eye protection, nor helmet!

 

Some countries will not allow you to leave with a medical lien and some will not let you back in with outstanding medical bills in that country.

 

The more free loaders that burn hospitals on bills, the hospitals have to charge more to cover losses which drive up Insurance premiums for everyone else.

 

The last time I went to a public hospital in rural Thailand was with an ingrowing toenail. The doctor. who spoke good English and had a sense of humour, sent me to the treatment room and came himself 5 minutes later. He gave me pain killing injections and removed the offending item. I paid the bill in cash at the going rate for farangs, less than 1,000 IIRC and went on my way. Daily dressings were done at the hospital for a week and then at the local clinics which were free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

 

The last time I went to a public hospital in rural Thailand was with an ingrowing toenail. The doctor. who spoke good English and had a sense of humour, sent me to the treatment room and came himself 5 minutes later. He gave me pain killing injections and removed the offending item. I paid the bill in cash at the going rate for farangs, less than 1,000 IIRC and went on my way. Daily dressings were done at the hospital for a week and then at the local clinics which were free.

 

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

 

The last time I went to a public hospital in rural Thailand was with an ingrowing toenail. The doctor. who spoke good English and had a sense of humour, sent me to the treatment room and came himself 5 minutes later. He gave me pain killing injections and removed the offending item. I paid the bill in cash at the going rate for farangs, less than 1,000 IIRC and went on my way. Daily dressings were done at the hospital for a week and then at the local clinics which were free.

Go in with a $50,000 required procedure like a heart problem without insurance/minimum credit requirements and see what happens! You might find yourself pushed out the door and left at the curb!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel.

 

Thailand, the new hub of mysterious insurance claims.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Having insurance is always a good thing up until the insurance company believes that you are too old, 70, 75 or so and then cancels the insurance.

 

Would the government then say, sorry you are too old and have no insurance. No more extensions for you. Out you go?

Some foreign hospitals without Insurance, nor proper credit would leave you on a  gurney in the hall without medical help, food and water and wait for you to expire!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ksamuiguy said:

Travel insurance is inexpensive if purchased in your home country, coverage for asia in very reasonable.

Try again.  They were going to charge me $ 2,000.00 with $ 1,000.00 deductible for 5 months.  Is it what you call reasonable?  I told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, I"ll go without it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Inhumane! Do you really believe that would be a consideration?

 

No, I indeed don't believe that and I did not say so either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mania said:

 

How about last time you had a stroke? Or needed an emergency pacemaker?

I cannot help but notice how many claim...yeah but medical is so cheap here I don't need to worry :smile:

 

The last time I had a heart problem was in 2006 and I had 2 stents put in.

 

I had no insurance but I paid cash. About 250,000 baht.

 

I have not yet needed a pacemaker.

 

Are you happy about my health now (not that it is any of your business)?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

 

The last time I had a heart problem was in 2006 and I had 2 stents put in.

 

I had no insurance but I paid cash. About 250,000 baht.

 

I have not yet needed a pacemaker.

 

Are you happy about my health now (not that it is any of your business)?

 

555 calm down or you'll need another stent :wai:

Could care less about your health thanks....

 

I was replying to your post of how cheap it is here medical care wise

Yes I agree good prices but many here are obviously skint

Glad you had the 250k to pay

I vote yes foreigners need to have insurance or show they can pay cash

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

 

The last time I had a heart problem was in 2006 and I had 2 stents put in.

 

I had no insurance but I paid cash. About 250,000 baht.

 

I have not yet needed a pacemaker.

 

Are you happy about my health now (not that it is any of your business)?

 

25 minutes ago, mania said:

 

How about last time you had a stroke? Or needed an emergency pacemaker?

I cannot help but notice how many claim...yeah but medical is so cheap here I don't need to worry :smile:

 

hi Guys - I am and have been curious - what happens to the people who do not have much savings? Surely there is a group of expats here because they do not have much money and daily life is cheaper  - - but they are not going to have the 300,000 for a heart procedure or more... what happens when they show up in an ER w/a heart attack or after a serious motorcycle accident? Do they get minimal treatment or are just asked to leave?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 25 November 2017 14:43
Sponsors
×