Thailand Forum
Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?  

262 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

• Yes, all foreigners should show proof of insurance or be required to purchase it before entering the Kingdom.
    • No, foreigners should not have to show or purchase insurance.

Essaybloke    274
5 hours ago, Cats4ever said:

Yes they should - bludging off another country is not good. How you prove you have the insurance could be tricky. I have a print out of my insurance with me when I travel; would not be hard to forge.

'Bludging off another country'? You're joking! I choose not to contribute hundreds of $$ per month to insurance companies. The money I have saved over the years will cover nearly anything short of a heart transplant. On the rare occasions I need a doctor, I pay cash and am happy to do so. Anyhow, if I turn up at Bangkok-Rayong and penniless, they'd shove me out the door without a by-your-leave. Bludging? I don't think I could even if I wanted to!

joebrown    1,378
29 minutes ago, alfredmarks50 said:

Sure,  I am happy to pay 100000 bath a year if I can get health insurance.  All  insurances have  refused  and travel insurance only covers heath in combination with a health insurance. So sell me one I am happy to pay for coverage.

Send me a PM and I can give you the name of a company here in LOS which may be of help to you. BTW, I am not an agent for the company.

LivinginKata    7,208
1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

hi Guys - I am and have been curious - what happens to the people who do not have much savings? Surely there is a group of expats here because they do not have much money and daily life is cheaper  - - but they are not going to have the 300,000 for a heart procedure or more... what happens when they show up in an ER w/a heart attack or after a serious motorcycle accident? Do they get minimal treatment or are just asked to leave?  

Might get minimal treatment if have no method of paying, like credit card. cash, or insurance card. 

If private hospital they will ship you straight to a government hospital where you will have the minimal treatement in poor conditions.  They won't throw you out but will badger you  for payment every day. Not a pretty picture.

Deepinthailand    1,466

Absolutely not. Why should people be forced into buying things to suit other people. no one knows anybody else's health or wealth. I left a nanny state to be free of being told what to do. If individuals want to have health insurance that's there choice don't try to ram there choice down the throats of other peopl

• Like 2

elgordo38    9,505
47 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

Your are right !  Expats over 70 could not buy local insurance and most local  insurance, except a few rare company, stop at 70.

For the new 10 years retirement visa they should arrange to have available  local insurance to cover expats  for the  10,000 USD coverage. It must not be so expensive to arrange.  International insurance at that age too expensive for regular people.

At least give me access to pain killers if I am in pain. Don't treat everyone like they are a drug addict. 

chiang mai    12,592

Yes they should, even though I don't - you know it only make sense. :post-4641-1156694572:

kingstonkid    866

I think any short time visits should have mandatory health insurance.  It is a must for people going out of Canada to the US and not that expensive.

The ripping off of the system is by the people that come here with just enough money to party and then get hurt and have no way to pay.  

As for all of us that live here I think the best solution is that we pay either at 90 day reports or when we extend our visa for the year for a government plan that would cover us in middle of the road hospitals.  Then if you want better service you pay extra.

My insurance is 2 fold I apy for it then have to claim it from Canada a bit of a pain but no real choice.  I keep a nice emergency reserve in my bank account.

• Like 1

roo860    2,417
Do farangs who take a Thai bird back to farangland have to supply insurance for his new love...?

Seems like they have to show a certain amount of income. Just looked on NHS site and some things done free, other conditions they tell you how much first, looks like anything life threatening is free.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

MalandLee    151
4 hours ago, snowgard said:

Something similar like Schengen Visa Insurance would be great but Thai insurances are to greedy.

http://www.visa-insurance.eu/en/?gclid=CMeO0p6byNACFZMWaAodlkYA9Q

Maybe combinated only with government hospitals and/or 5.000 Baht own payment.

If Thailand adopted the minimum Schengen visa , based on the above website:-

For ONLY 1,100 baht per month, a "retiree" could have  insurance totalling approximately 2,250,000 Baht - at aged 70 (At the "now" exchange rates)  . At aged 90, the premium would be THE SAME. Calculate for yourself, it is easy. All I have done, to cope with the many currencies used by many MEMBERS on this board, is to convert to Baht.

No need to re-invent the wheel Thailand, simply arrange a "Jaunt" to Brussels, to verify this as a possible solution. ONE WOULD THINK, that the lower costs of Thai medical procedures, would result in lower premiums, however, if Thailand maintained the European premium, and the insurance companies, paid Thailand an "administrative fee", to administer it here; I am fairly sure, MANY expatiates would sleep better.

If there was a real will, this is doable...

• Like 2

abrahamzvi    570
6 hours ago, jpinx said:

Of course not -- any such demand would open the floodgates on scams of every hue.  If the Thai Government supplied some form of "foreigner insurance" that would be a reasonable option, but given the terms and conditions applying to health and travel insurance being so diverse, it would be impossible for Immigration to compare "like-with-like" amongst the companies.

The government could issue a list of minimumin medical insurance requirements ,which should be signed by a recognized insurance company. One has to have a similar form in order to get a Schengen (EU) visa.

• Like 1

abrahamzvi    570
4 hours ago, pentae said:

What about millionaires who self insure? Why should they be forced to pay for crappy insurance if they can just pay out of pocket without battering an eyelid? I don’t know of any country that requires to see health insurance when you show up at customs, why should Thailand be an exception? If it was anywhere it should be first world countries where health care isn’t as cheap as Thailand.

Thais and others need to produce proof of medical insurance before they obtain a Schenegen (EU) visa

pookiki    1,883

The obstacle to obtaining insurance is that no insurance is available for expats over 60  -- with very few very expensive exceptions that exclude pre-existing conditions. So, it's easy to say that you should have when there are no realistic or reasonably priced alternatives. I thought this issue was supposed to be addressed with the ASEAN Economic Community but it just dropped off the radar screen.  In addition, I paid all my life to be covered my Medicare in the US but cannot tap into those benefits outside the US even though medical costs would be much more reasonable in Thailand. Ironically, many US hospitals will send patients outside the US to save money but as an expat, I would have to return to be sent back!

moe666    2,976
6 hours ago, Kabula said:

Some foreign hospitals without Insurance, nor proper credit would leave you on a  gurney in the hall without medical help, food and water and wait for you to expire!

Believe it or not they are not charitable organization

• Like 1

acid thunder    199
4 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Believe it or not they are not charitable organization

Seems like many have a problem understanding this salient point. 

Have a serious accident or medical event then you're on your own.  Someone will pay otherwise you're a virtual prisoner. 

BB1958    22
2 hours ago, MalandLee said:

If Thailand adopted the minimum Schengen visa , based on the above website:-

For ONLY 1,100 baht per month, a "retiree" could have  insurance totalling approximately 2,250,000 Baht - at aged 70 (At the "now" exchange rates)  . At aged 90, the premium would be THE SAME. Calculate for yourself, it is easy. All I have done, to cope with the many currencies used by many MEMBERS on this board, is to convert to Baht.

No need to re-invent the wheel Thailand, simply arrange a "Jaunt" to Brussels, to verify this as a possible solution. ONE WOULD THINK, that the lower costs of Thai medical procedures, would result in lower premiums, however, if Thailand maintained the European premium, and the insurance companies, paid Thailand an "administrative fee", to administer it here; I am fairly sure, MANY expatiates would sleep better.

If there was a real will, this is doable...

Sadly this is one of the things that differentiates the type(s) of Governments.

Europe, sought and secured a solution for its Guests, short & long term alike.

So far Thailand does not see any benefit is helping it's guests in this regard. (Affordable Health) - It has done some wonderful things, such as the tourist Police, etc.. Easily criticised until you need them! 

Excluding Burmese, Cambodian & Lao, some say there are 100,000+ expats from Japan, China, Europe, UK America, Oceania, etc..   The monthly premium alone (above) would inject 1.3 Billion into the Thai health system, where it equally compulsory. And this is only for retirees..

IF it were applied to all visitors, we are talking TRILLIONS of Baht - very big money indeed. The premium could be attached to EVERY visa, no matter where it was issued. It would only cost about the same as departure tax, for the visa exempt. (30 day) Negligible to a foreign visitor, MASSIVE new money to this Govt.

• Like 2