Thailand Forum
webfact

Floating in the sea - swanky new Bangkok buses bobbing up and down on a ship as scandal deepens

Damrongsak    412
1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

... Ok. So take baht from left pocket and put  baht in right pocket.

Brilliant.

And the pockets always have a few holes where some change falls through.  Brilliant, indeed.

optad    1,691
On 12/8/2016 at 4:57 PM, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

When it comes to any big purchase like this, the bureaucrats just can't help themselves - apparently graft and corruption is just in their nature or so it seems..  

Whether or not this is the problem in this example,  the perception of the above are unavoidable in Thailand. It is probably true generally, certainly in Asia it's worse but greasing palms in Thailand is a cultural axiom.  It really impoverishes their own future and badly hampers notions of democratizing opportunity.

Loeilad    371

Surely this is a signal that Thailand (and ASEAN) need to reduced their protective tariffs and allow the free movement of goods....and people?

Edited by Loeilad

spidermike007    8,604
On 12/8/2016 at 7:58 PM, mrjohn said:

“Thailand is a democratic country and adheres to free trade.”

The Great Leader 3rd June 2016

I was so shocked when I heard this nonsense by “the self-appointed one”  on Thai TV  that I checked my dictionary  in case I had misunderstood the meaning of the phrase “free trade”

I had not!

Free trade is : “international buying and selling of goods, without limits on the amount of goods that one country can sell to another, and without special taxes on the goods bought from a foreign country.”

Which part of the words"free trade" do Thais not understand?

Free

Just another example of how completely out of touch this so called leader is. Does he not understand the meaning of either free trade, or democracy?

There is little free trade here. The duty on imported wine is over 400%. The duty on beer imported from other ASEAN nations is high, even though Thailand agreed to forfeit all duty, on all alcoholic beverages, from every member of ASEAN, when it signed the latest charter. So, why don't we see the supermarkets loaded up with Bintang, and other beers from our neighbors? One can only guess the answer to that one. It is called a near monopoly in most nations. 

As to democracy, how can one even address such bombastic nonsense, from this guy? 

elgordo38    9,505
14 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

They can store the buses with the Tablet PC's now. Just found a few cartons with tablets at my school.

Not even opened, will the buses really make it on Bangkok's road? 

Wanna buy a cheap door stop? Something really stupid like scrapping them could happen. Cheap housing?

jaywalker    5,022
On 12/7/2016 at 11:35 PM, JoePai said:

Simple - double park (but leave the handbrakes off)   

But...The brakes failed!

What an absolute joke of a customs Department!

YOU!. You must to give me money! is all it's about.

Artisi    7,493
3 hours ago, jaywalker said:

But...The brakes failed!

What an absolute joke of a customs Department!

YOU!. You must to give me money! is all it's about.

Joke, sure -  but stupidity would be more like it, so stupid there isn't enough words in Roget's Thesaurus to even come close to describe how stupid. 

• Like 1