Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Jonathan Fairfield

Koh Phangan hospital backtracks after pregnant English tourist is unable to pay medical bill

On 12/12/2016 at 9:49 PM, Strange said:

Never, EVER, give up that passport. 

Single most important thing to a foreigner here in Thailand, second is bug-out cash and credit cards. They get you by the balls (or uterus).

Also its a real chickenshit maneuver/probably illegal to take someones only travel document and hold it hostage. Let alone its wasn't even an official person, just hospital people. Pretty pathetic on the hospital and infuriating just reading it. 

As for the rest of the topic, well, Full Moon Party, 3 months pregnant, no money..... 

And what personal responsibilty? Proper medical insurance? Appreciate the hospital treat you without condition? Would you expect an American hospital even talk you without full money guarantee?

• Like 2

This is the regulation abiding residents get a residual wrath of the Thai Govt.

On 12/13/2016 at 8:07 AM, louse1953 said:

I rekon the low lifes are the cheap charlie tourists that have left the hospital and Thai taxpayers poorer.Will she send the money when they get back to UK?

Totally agree with you. 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2016 at 8:27 AM, louse1953 said:

55,you do know where you are don't you.When blood is pouring out of you one day and they wont admit you without handing over your passport,what will you do.Will you ask them to drive you to the next hospital 50 klms away or meekly break your countries law and hand your passport over.I would suggest the latter.Reality over rules International law any day.

True aswell the system runs that way...and then it makes a turn

On 12/13/2016 at 0:43 PM, smedly said:

she didn't run up any bill the hospital did when they thought it would be an insurance claim

lets ponder this for a moment

She had a 1 night stay in a room - how much ? well I'd guess maybe 2000baht

She had an untrasound - my guess would be 3000 baht

Doctor fee - 1000 x2 ....2000baht

nursing fee - we'll call it 2000baht

various medication food etc - 3000baht

= a grand total of 12k baht so lets round it up to 20k

100k baht seriously

It seems that they gave her the "Thainess discount."

Just one more example where this lady will return to her home country, & report how she was treated here in Thailand.

So yet agin we see malpractise on these islands, then when Western tourism numbers plummet the islanders will maybe start to wonder why..?

(As a footnote I bet this lady will read the small print of her next travel policy with more scrutiny than she did this one).

On 12/12/2016 at 6:45 PM, ParadiseLost said:

Most likely the hospital saw an insurance document, thought they hit the pot of gold, so gouged the hell out of her expecting an easy payday. Standard practice in the medical industry, no?

Once they realised the victim/patient had no cash and started making a noise they obviously decided better to make it go away. No point getting bad publicity.

One of the good things about social media.

Something similar happened me on Lipe back in Dec.

I had to get 3 stitches on my ankle as a result of rescuing a lady from being swept away in a current (who couldn't swim)... but that's not important.

Arrived at the medical centre and told them i'd pay cash. Got a quote of about 2000 baht - I was happy to just pay it and be done with it. Then I thought "why don't I just use my insurance" so told them that.

Before I knew it, the quote was now 7,500 baht. 

Given that my insurance excess would have been about 4,000 baht (good thing I checked before going down the insurance route), I decided to just pay the 2,000 baht cash. But christ, was it a nightmare to try and reverse the quote!

• Like 1

seems like 100,000 baht in fees is EXCESSIVE, for only 2 or 3 days total hospital stay, even a private one.

4 nights in BKK-Pattaya hospital for a c-section = 50,000 baht.

these profit based hospitals in Thailand sure know how to gouge foreigners.

expensive hospital tho, my gf gave birth in bangkok pattaya hospital, stayed in private room like 3 nights and we paid 50k, and that was c-section

I went to f... Norway 20 years ago .arived at night by train no change went to youth hostel nearby . No rooms go 2nd youth hostel .take the bus ... i have no sweedish money . We dont change. You dont change i dont go take a bus
She call the police
A guy tell me at night no control . I go speak with the bus driver ... no control
Take the bus
2nd youth hostel no change .give me your passport
Next day no change walking 2km .a marocan gave me a breakfast ....to the bank
Change ...show me your passport ... its in the youthhostel
No passport no change
......back to square 1
And then i fout an ATM machine ... kissed her told her how i loved her .that she didnt ask me anything and how she was so much caring than theses f... norway poeples

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app