Jonathan Fairfield

Koh Phangan hospital backtracks after pregnant English tourist is unable to pay medical bill

238 posts in this topic

As is consistent with the treatment of all pre-existing medical conditions under the policy, the policy does not intend to cover the normal costs or losses otherwise associated with pregnancy (including multiple pregnancy) or childbirth. This includes, but is not limited to, delivery by caesarean section or any other medically or surgically assisted delivery which does not cause medical complications. The policy does, however, cover you should complications arise with your pregnancy due to accidental bodily injury or unexpected illness which occurs while on your trip excluding costs incurred during the period between 12 weeks before and 12 weeks after the estimated date of delivery.

 

This is from a fairly standard UK policy.  It is hard to see why she woud not be covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One just has to compare the government hospital on KP to the private ones. I have used the government hospital and while it is third world in appearance the staff are friendly to the extreme and prices are ridiculously low. On the other hand the shiny new private hospitals are definitely first world and their pricing reflects this. Can't comment on the staff.

 

If her life was in danger she would cross to Samui on a speedboat - that is expensive, but most likely in her case she would be taken on a normal ferry accompanied by a nurse. All other passengers would pay 300 baht while she would be charged 10,000. Fair?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with hospitals Worldwide is that they are only interested in making money.  Medical care is a human right- it is not a product to be bartered or negotiated.  If doctors and nurses have not figured this out they should not be practitioners. Governments need to provide national health insurance for ALL. Citizens of a country pay through deductions from their salaries. Tourists and expats should be able to buy in for a small fee based upon their length of stay. the problem is that since hospitals only exist to make money- they see an insurance policy and up the charges to what they think the insurance will pay.  The charges are usually unable to be deciphered by the average person.

While this person may have been somewhat irresponsible- I question the amount of the actual charges and their attempt to extort money from the patient.  Until profit is taken out of healthcare- these type of situations will continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Strange said:

 

Never, EVER, give up that passport. 

 

Single most important thing to a foreigner here in Thailand, second is bug-out cash and credit cards. They get you by the balls (or uterus).

 

Also its a real chickenshit maneuver/probably illegal to take someones only travel document and hold it hostage. Let alone its wasn't even an official person, just hospital people. Pretty pathetic on the hospital and infuriating just reading it. 

 

As for the rest of the topic, well, Full Moon Party, 3 months pregnant, no money..... 

 

 

What is a 'bug-out card'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Strange said:

 

Never, EVER, give up that passport. 

 

Single most important thing to a foreigner here in Thailand, second is bug-out cash and credit cards. They get you by the balls (or uterus).

 

Also its a real chickenshit maneuver/probably illegal to take someones only travel document and hold it hostage. Let alone its wasn't even an official person, just hospital people. Pretty pathetic on the hospital and infuriating just reading it. 

 

As for the rest of the topic, well, Full Moon Party, 3 months pregnant, no money..... 

 

 

Almost as low as not paying your bills and fleeing the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 82   Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The problem with hospitals Worldwide is that they are only interested in making money.  Medical care is a human right- it is not a product to be bartered or negotiated.  If doctors and nurses have not figured this out they should not be practitioners. Governments need to provide national health insurance for ALL. Citizens of a country pay through deductions from their salaries. Tourists and expats should be able to buy in for a small fee based upon their length of stay. the problem is that since hospitals only exist to make money- they see an insurance policy and up the charges to what they think the insurance will pay.  The charges are usually unable to be deciphered by the average person.

While this person may have been somewhat irresponsible- I question the amount of the actual charges and their attempt to extort money from the patient.  Until profit is taken out of healthcare- these type of situations will continue.

 

So true, it's not as if Hospitals have expenses to pay, like wages and equipment right....oh wait.

i see hospitals world wide treat foreigners for free.....oh wait.

 

She is an idiot to begin with, what type of person goes travelling overseas knowing full well pregnancies and pre-existing conditions are not covered in travel insurance, she took the risk and should be made to pay the bill in full.

Edited by Wazza1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manhood said:

So what???

Thailand has so many touists that can't pay their bills and the country of Thailand (taxpayers) have to cover the costs!

You think this is fair????

In USA nobody treat you without prepay the treatment!

 

So lovly tourists: take care you have the proper insurance and dont blame anbody if things go wrong as i'ts your (the tourists) responsibility to have enjough money or insurance!

 

so you are saying a hospital in the States will let you die?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 84   Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Wazza1 said:

 

So true, it's not as if Hospitals have expenses to pay, like wages and equipment right....oh wait.

i see hospitals world wide treat foreigners for free.....oh wait.

 

 

lets not forget commission arrangements with Backpackers & Hostels.

For every guest from your hostel thats injured / sick  - Send them to First Western and get 200baht!

Edited by johnnybegood2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love you guys, the hospital treated the woman for a possible life treating problem and you guys are hung up on the hospital wanting to get paid for services rendered. Will this lowlife girl send money to the hospital for saving her life or will she slag them off as a few posters here have

 

To many people come to Thailand and use the health services here and then cannot pay the bill why do you think they keep the only thing of value these people have, the passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, elgenon said:

 

so you are saying a hospital in the States will let you die?

By law the hospital has to treat a patient in the US. The repukian push to repeal obumercare will force a lot of people back to the emergency rooms for care the most expensive care for any problem.

 

Hopefully the Brit girl will pay the hospital for her care, money for beer but none for health care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I love you guys, the hospital treated the woman for a possible life treating problem and you guys are hung up on the hospital wanting to get paid for services rendered. Will this lowlife girl send money to the hospital for saving her life or will she slag them off as a few posters here have

 

To many people come to Thailand and use the health services here and then cannot pay the bill why do you think they keep the only thing of value these people have, the passport.

I think most people would be happy for the hospital to charge fair prices for service, however this does not seem to be the case here. Profiteering from ill peoples bad fortune is hardly defendable.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thhe hospital requests your passport, if you dont hand it over, they will not treat you .Happened to my mate. (Im  talking about big ticket items. ).  Fact, not just  my personal opinion of which there is too much of on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should be pursued by the British Embassy, the Passport belongs to the state of Britain, if they do not take legal action against the Hospital it is a very bad precedent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Strange said:

 

Never, EVER, give up that passport. 

 

Single most important thing to a foreigner here in Thailand, second is bug-out cash and credit cards. They get you by the balls (or uterus).

 

Also its a real chickenshit maneuver/probably illegal to take someones only travel document and hold it hostage. Let alone its wasn't even an official person, just hospital people. Pretty pathetic on the hospital and infuriating just reading it. 

 

As for the rest of the topic, well, Full Moon Party, 3 months pregnant, no money..... 

 

One time I had to leave my PP as a bond when hiring a moped bike. I didnt like doing it but it was all ok in the end. Sometimes you do have to give your PPort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

I think most people would be happy for the hospital to charge fair prices for service, however this does not seem to be the case here. Profiteering from ill peoples bad fortune is hardly defendable.

 

 

 

 

 

What  world do you live in??   It's called the "business" of

medicine....all over the the world!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the problems many foreigners expected to get free medical....i just wonder which private hospital in the world provides it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ParadiseLost said:

Some here need lessons in human reproduction; it is entirely possible the girl was not aware of the pregnancy. At 12 weeks there may be no signs at all.

 

BS. Ever heard of something called period?

 

Quite obvious PL hasn't. :passifier:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

What  world do you live in??   It's called the "business" of

medicine....all over the the world!

The world where English comprehension dictates that comments should be taken in context... The original post stated most people were upset with charging, I merely pointed out most people would be happy if charges were fair - including profit.

 

Just because things are so does not mean you have to like it... Perhaps in your world you are happy to be gouged but I doubt that would include 'most people'...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 98   Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, chuang said:

That's the problems many foreigners expected to get free medical....i just wonder which private hospital in the world provides it...

Perhaps in your social circles many foreigners expect that, that is however your issue. 

 

None of the foreigners I've met in 20 years of coming to Thailand were expecting that.

Some did come however because it is considerably cheaper here, than in the west.

Over hundreds of hospitals in Thailand, yet one, on a small isolated island that constantly raises a red flag.

That hospital has hardly been opened for 2 years.

Yet, the amount of noise and problems it causes are incomparable to any other.

You, among a few more,  prefer to just shoot the messenger instead.

 

Have your Chang, and go to the bar. The internet wasn't invented for you.

 

 

Edited by johnnybegood2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

I rekon the low lifes are the cheap charlie tourists that have left the hospital and Thai taxpayers poorer.Will she send the money when they get back to UK?

What about the Thai people in the UK who have had hospital treatment all paid for by the British tax payer?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 01 May 2017 03:26
Sponsors