Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
nisakiman

Kanchanaburi - eating, drinking, sleeping.

The wife and I will be in LOS in March, and after a couple of weeks with the outlaws in Ubon we fancied spending a few days in Kanchanaburi to have a look at the bridge, war graves etc. Neither of us have been there before, so any recommendations with regards places to stay, eat and drink would be most welcome.

Cheers! :smile:

Google Kanchanaburi Guess houses thaivisa.

When stay is found look or ask around for eat and drink there's so many.

Thanks guys. I'm actually fully au fait with all those sites, and I also searched the TV site for info before I posted. What I was actually looking for was some personal recommendations from people who either live there or are regular visitors there as to where the best (and by that I don't mean the fanciest or most expensive) places are to eat, drink and stay.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, has the Camelia opened back up after what looked like an extensive refurb?  Or were they tearing the place down?

The Jolly Frog has a good reputation for food and drink,rooms however backpacker type :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Tik Restaurant offers varied good cheap food. Down by the river where most of the floating restaurants disco rafts are moored.

Friends have always found Noble Knight guesthouse to be good value.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I think I'm a bit long in the tooth for the Jolly Frog, ageing hippy that I am notwithstanding! :)

I've been looking through the places on Agoda, and I'm rather torn between more modern places in town which are squeaky clean and have modern, well fitted bathrooms (but are rather sterile), and older, slightly run-down places on the river at the same price (about 750 Baht) with somewhat grungy bathrooms, but which are real old-style Thai and full of character.  In this particular case I've been looking at U Dee Room and Coffee (clean and modern) vs the best room on offer at Nita Raft House (a bit grotty, but literally on the river, and old Thai style). I asked my wife what she thought, and to my surprise she didn't immediately go for the more modern one, but like me was undecided.

Back in the late 60s / early 70s, when I was trawling round the Indian subcontinent and SE Asia, the only precondition for anywhere I stayed was that the price should be as close to zero as possible,  and I do have a fondness still for the more characterful places. (Although not, perhaps, quite as 'characterful' as some of the places I stayed in back then!).

I noticed the Noble Knight (Night?) on the Agoda site - I'll have a closer look at it. Thanks. Yes, eatery recommendations are always good, because once you've ordered, you are in the hands of the Gods! :) If someone else says it's good, then the odds of getting a decent meal are much improved.

Edited by nisakiman
typo

On 12/28/2016 at 7:04 PM, Megasin1 said:

I stayed at the Felix resort which was quite nice with a room overlooking the river.

+ 1

but the Felix is a ways outside of town and ye need transport to get around...OK if ye got a car...they got two swimming pools and the kids loved it...

• Like 1

I am sure you will hit all the historical sights, but if you want a nature break, be sure to take the time to visit Erawan Waterfalls... 

The Noble Night GH is great, has a small swimming pool.

Many bars and restaurants in walking distance, some surprisingly elegant.

A short m/c tuk tuk ride to the bridge (100b) and you can phone the guy to pick you up when you're ready to return LOL

• Like 1

Kanchanaburi City Hotel is good for modern / clean and is right by the bridge. Good Times Resort is equally if not better located and is a popular traditional riverfront hotel. I have stayed in both and they are good.

My go to place is the Tara B&B on the main tourist street.  They have another on the river I don't know about.   Room is great and there is a pool and last time I stayed about 700 Baht a night.  A nicer room than many at twice the price. Beds are amazing.  Good air, very clean and satellite with English channels.   I'm local and have used it when heat was off the charts for an escape.

I still use Jolly Frog as my go to eatery.   New management now, so some changes. Seem to be some new ones I have not tried yet.

• Like 2