JimmyJ

How can newbies to Thailand avoid paying farang prices?

In another thread someone advised a person moving to Thailand: " Don't pay clueless farang prices."

I've read that for goods and services with no price tags or prices posted, that there is (often? / always?) a Thai price and a farang price.

But a farang would need to know what the Thai price is to be able to insist on that same price or walk away.

Other than going shopping with a native Thai, how can a newbie farang avoid prices being higher?

Edited by JimmyJ

I hae been buying things in Thailand for quite a long time and all I can sugget is don't pay more than you think is fair.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

Easy when they say one price half it and go from there. Usualy they have a calculator after they give you there price use there calculator make it look as though you understand what your doing then type in half of what they say and show it to them. If they say no thank them and walk away if they want your buisness they will talk and try stopping you walking away.

In the end on clothes there still going to make a killing. If your in a tourist area I'm afraid your screwed pretty much. But what you can do is bar fine a girl and take her shopping with you for a few hours then she can go back to work later. If you explain this to her she will be fine buy her a couple of drinks or a dress whilst your out shopping. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I think when you first arrive in Thailand shop in stores witch have the prices displayed. If you pay 55 baht for a beer in Tesco, you can expect to pay double in a bar or restaurant.

Although you can pay as little as 65 Baht for a big Chang in bars / restaurants or 135 Baht or more, for the same drink in other bars .

Its not a rip off though, because the prices are usually clearly marked

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Funny.  If the OP is this paranoid, he ought to just go the freak home.  Otherwise, he will ALWAYS be paying the farang price. 

Has nothing to do with going home or being rich/poor. It's just the idea of getting ripped off which is very annoying. Even for 1 baht. 

If you come from a decent 1st world country where everybody pays the same prices it can be shocking to see them charging you double the amount.

Even more if you have have sponsored the Thai for decades by having a foster parents child in Thailand for example. (My parents had one in Thailand for decades and sent him money every month without ever seeing him, he was my foster parents brother as we called him).

Now when my parents come here to see us they have to pay a 10foulded price to see the crappy waterfall and maybe that foster parent-son is behind the register.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

I went into a bar the other night and one of the ladies was drinking orange juice , which costs 50 Baht , when I bought the same drink, I got charged 120 Baht!!!!!

I also had to pay the bar 500 Baht to take her out for a meal and I was also required to pay her 1500 Baht the next morning .

The very next day , just as the bar was closing , a Thai guy came and picked her up and drove off togethger on his motorbike and he didnt have to pay 500 Baht and I very much doubt whether he had to pay her 1500 Baht the next morning .

DOUBLE PRICING 

That was her husband

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Has nothing to do with going home or being rich/poor. It's just the idea of getting ripped off which is very annoying. Even for 1 baht. 

If you come from a decent 1st world country where everybody pays the same prices it can be shocking to see them charging you double the amount.

Even more if you have have sponsored the Thai for decades by having a foster parents child in Thailand for example. (My parents had one in Thailand for decades and sent him money every month without ever seeing him, he was my foster parents brother as we called him).

Now when my parents come here to see us they have to pay a 10foulded price to see the crappy waterfall and maybe that foster parent-son is behind the register.

No they don't have to pay 10 fold now do they. They don't have to go at all if they don't want. As for the sponsored child that was there choice to do so and may I add a very very nice thing to do. But not there faults about pricing is it.