Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
scottiejohn

Panthip Plaza-CM Refurbishment 2017

8 hours ago, lkn said:

We have Rimping and Tops. I definitely prefer Rimping to the Villa Market I used when I stayed in BKK, but maybe that branch was not representative of the chain.

Well I can only say that the Villa Market I use in Pattaya is better than both by a mile!  much more selection and, to me, competition is what we need. We already have loads of Rimping's and Tops why not something new to Chiang Mai?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Well I can only say that the Villa Market I use in Pattaya is better than both by a mile!  much more selection and, to me, competition is what we need. We already have loads of Rimping's and Tops why not something new to Chiang Mai?

Better by a mile? I googled Villa Market and noticed that there are ratings from Facebook and Foursquare, so I tallied up the ratings from a page’s worth of hits from Foursquare, and only 3 out of 10 Villa Markets have a rating of 8 or above (30%). For Rimping it was 5 out 8 (75%).

So on average Rimping is at least rated better than Villa Market. Facebook ratings showed a similar picture.

Makes me curious what you think needs improving with Rimping. I would have joked and said fresh seafood, but Rimping actually does that…

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

bit of a walk/drive from CM though isn't it ?

Just now, stament said:

bit of a walk/drive from CM though isn't it ?

I was suggesting wouldn't it be nice to have one in Chiang Mai rather than yet ANOTHER store we already have  :w00t:

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

This was not a 'knock Rimping' post. It was a 'let's have MORE competition' post and I admire your devotion to a shop, even going to look at ratings on FB,  but I wonder why you don't like competition. 

You did say that Villa Market was “better by a mile” — I am happy with more choice, and your comment did not offend me on behalf of Rimping, I was simply curious as what Villa Market would have to offer for them to be “better by a mile” and thus did a google search, only to see “Rating: 3.3” as the second result, so I decided to look at ratings for 10 stores to see if this was just an outlier, and compare to Rimping.

As for more choice though, remember Chiang Mai is a small town, so there is limited demand. Look at how the new shopping complexes have turned out.

Just now, lkn said:

You did say that Villa Market was “better by a mile” — I am happy with more choice, and your comment did not offend me on behalf of Rimping, I was simply curious as what Villa Market would have to offer for them to be “better by a mile” and thus did a google search, only to see “Rating: 3.3” as the second result, so I decided to look at ratings for 10 stores to see if this was just an outlier, and compare to Rimping.

As for more choice though, remember Chiang Mai is a small town, so there is limited demand. Look at how the new shopping complexes have turned out.

I can only 'speak as I find' having a home in Chiang Mai and Pattaya. I like Rimping and just think another is not required but something different would be nice. The wine selection at Villa Market near my condo is HUGE and the cheeses (Brie, Camembert) are to die for.  NVM just my opinion my post was not about who is better but more about 'can we have one'.   :smile:

6 minutes ago, lkn said:

That's the thing, and exactly why the initial concept at Tops Festival failed so miserably and they had to throw out a fortune in perished imported cheeses and deli meats as well as relocating the farang baker back to Bangkok. There was no demand at all. It looked too good to be true at the times - and it was.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I was suggesting wouldn't it be nice to have one in Chiang Mai rather than yet ANOTHER store we already have  :w00t:

Fair do's, I am not very good at reading between the lines as you can see ?

I agree it would be nice, but unfortunately we will end up having more of the same lime we do with McD, Starbucks, etc

21 minutes ago, elektrified said:

That's the thing, and exactly why the initial concept at Tops Festival failed so miserably and they had to throw out a fortune in perished imported cheeses and deli meats as well as relocating the farang baker back to Bangkok. There was no demand at all. It looked too good to be true at the times - and it was.

I read someone before said that it was Rimping ?

1 hour ago, stament said:

I read someone before said that it was Rimping ?

No Festival Market is Tops; not Rimping.

It could become a cut throat ‘competition corner’ if a whole group of ‘twin like’ companies open up in such a small space! It just needs something like ‘Costa Coffee’ to balance ‘Starbucks’ and a ‘Rimping’ or ‘Villa’ to balance ‘BIG C’. Add a small ‘Home Pro’/’Index’ pairing and could we possibly see some form of competition in there.

The big malls tend to have a Large ‘anchor’ store which dominates one area of the mall and does not ‘allow!’ similar type large outlets under the same roof.

Doing this on a smaller scale looks attractive, if it were to happen.

2 hours ago, elektrified said:

That's the thing, and exactly why the initial concept at Tops Festival failed so miserably and they had to throw out a fortune in perished imported cheeses and deli meats […]

Rimping at Maya also tried a cheese bar which unfortunately closed before I had a chance to try it out. Now it seems to be sushi instead, for which there is probably more demand among the Thais (or tourists shopping there).

It could become a cut throat ‘competition corner’ if a whole group of ‘twin like’ companies open up in such a small space! It just needs something like ‘Costa Coffee’ to balance ‘Starbucks’ and a ‘Rimping’ or ‘Villa’ to balance ‘BIG C’. Add a small ‘Home Pro’/’Index’ pairing and could we possibly see some form of competition in there.

The big malls tend to have a Large ‘anchor’ store which dominates one area of the mall and does not ‘allow!’ similar type large outlets under the same roof.

Doing this on a smaller scale looks attractive, if it were to happen.

On 1/12/2017 at 11:04 AM, bluweyze said:

What happened to the office supplies store where Big C now is?

They moved to Central Festival...