Thailand Forum
Once Bitten

The Korat Mall - How do the shops survive

Once Bitten    45

While wondering around the Mall ,  It amazes me how some shops can manage to stay open , shops like opticians all ways seem to be empty ,  the high end clothes shops seem to have permanent Sale / 50% off signs plastered in their windows and still very few apparent customers in side , the large glass fronted bedding and furniture shops look over staffed but still there seems a constant lack of customers . Walking thought the open sales area containing vast amounts of branded beauty products / handbags / shoes / watches / clothing , again I never actually see any one purchasing any thing there ,

Some gold shops seem to have customers , some times , but some other jewelry shops look permanently empty , wander around the white electrical goods / computers / TV / open area and its an endless sea of sales staff dressed in black and very few customers , the list goes on and on of shops who never seem to have any customers .

You have to wonder how these apparent constantly empty shops and sales areas survive in the Mall , taking into consideration the no doubt high rent and over heads and even more so now Terminal 21 is  open .  So what am I missing ? :shock1:

• Like 2

meatboy    3,721

the op should go and find the secret nocking shop where all the farangs HANG OUT.:shock1:

• Like 1

kaorop    1,024

Many years ago wandering around the Klom thom area, I found a whole block of watch wholesalers/sellers, each shop was maybe 2 metres wide and 3 or 4 deep, must have been a few hundred shops in the block, ALL selling the same stuff.

I pondered for a long time, and as I could not understand how any could make money,  just went to cowboy and got one. ha5!

• Like 1

kaorop    1,024
24 minutes ago, Once Bitten said:

So there must some sort of magical secret Thai business know how , some sort of un wavering business belief that no matter what sort of venture you commit your self to opening, even if its obviously not going to succeed , you just keep paying the rent and blindly carry one. Or am I missing some thing ?

Actually I think this is why/how the "mafia" loan sharks thrive so extremely well here.

• Like 2

meatboy    3,721
9 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I wonder the same thing. All those high end stores that are empty of customers, and now Terminal 21 is open and another mall is coming as well. I also wonder how the local Home Pro stays open with expensive stuff that no one seems to buy and whenever we visit it is virtually empty. A new Macro also just opened and it is also pretty empty, although I must admit that I appreciate the always easy, plentiful parking.

I guess I am just not smart enough to understand the Thai version of basic economics.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

we have the same by us,4yrs.ago they built 2rows of shop houses near the rail track,they are half empty.

2yrs.ago they built the same the other side of the track,its been a yr.since and not ONE taken.

• Like 1

sinbin    460
6 hours ago, kaorop said:

Many years ago wandering around the Klom thom area, I found a whole block of watch wholesalers/sellers, each shop was maybe 2 metres wide and 3 or 4 deep, must have been a few hundred shops in the block, ALL selling the same stuff.

'Monkey see, monkey do' .

• Like 2