Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Once Bitten

The Korat Mall - How do the shops survive

A lot of good reading here,  one I cannot understand is the one where all sell the same. If you come out onto AH2 from my soi and turn left there are a dozen little salas where you can buy pineappens , turn right and just before the border with Myanmar there are a dozen salas where stawbellies are being sold. ( note my writing same  as I speak ). Another one in town are the 2 story shit/shop houses , around 3 million B and when the shop front opens they are selling the same as 50m along the road. DUH !  Oh one more , Lotus has a Mc shop inside In 2 years I have never seen anyone buy anything from there and I go at least twice a week to Lotus. 

• Like 1

it does make you think HOW THE HELL DO THEY SURVIVE.

weekends when the outside is HOT where do they go the mall ect.where they have air-con.

its cheap [crap] food in the courts that are only full,do they make a profit?its hard to tell.

as for the buildings that have been going up and up still empty, i can only think its money thats been washed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sinbin said:

That reminds me of the story of the Thai who wanted to open a shop. Before he opened the shop he went along the soi to find out what everyone else was selling. He then went and found a rental unit and proceeded to sell the same as what everyone else was selling.  deadhorse.gif

Reminds me of Mexico blocks and blocks of gold shops and car accessory shops gives new meaning to one stop shopping I guess. 

On 1/11/2017 at 8:15 PM, cooked said:

Why pick on the Mall? You can find this kind of thing all over Thailand. Many shops that were present at the opening of Robinsons in Buriram have now disappeared, in most malls you will find empty shops.

How about the stalls selling melons for mile after mile, maybe one car stopped along the way...  some people just like the thought of being a shop keeper.

Maybe so, but they still have to pay their bills and feed their familes.

In Australia the Malls operate on the principle that the cash registers are linked to the mall management office and they know what your turnover is. That is how they determine the rental that you pay. One drawback is if you do not have enough sales you get turfed out. Its the Mall management that makes the money the poor shop owners usually get very little and give up before they get removed by the management. If by any chance you make a lot of money they will increase your rental fee.

Edited by lungnorm
addition
  • Like 1

is is not Just a Thai phenomena.  Take a look at everyone's favorite e-commerce site like Amazon or  Lazada. 100's of sellers all offering the exact same item, at the exact same price.

I run an e-commerce consulting business and the first question the newbies ask is, "What are the most popular items I can sell"?  I'm sure it is similar here too.  The new guys don't know enough about business and the major name stores want to make sure their brand name is represented in all markets.

It is not a big deal when you are a little mom and pop type operation and you make 2 or 3 hundred extra Baht each day when you have a low overhead.  It does get to be a major problem at the large malls when mall management wants a fixed rent and utilities payment every month.

On 1/12/2017 at 1:53 PM, mick220675 said:

I have always wondered how opticians shops all over Thailand stay open. They have at least two staff and very few customers.

If you've ever bought glasses in Thailand, you'd quickly figure out they only need to sell a pair or two a day to pay the rent and the cuties' salaries.  They can look dead empty for 7 hours out of an 8 hour day and still do okay.

• Like 1