PhDEducation

Beware of Bangkok Bank

193 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Nope, I don't think it's a troll post, but I think the OP finally decided either to return to his home country or was admitted to an appropriate institution where he has limited internet access.

I looked at his profile.  He joined ThaiVisa in November 2015 and was last active in January this year.  During his time of membership he contributed to posts about credit card skimming, elderly men getting drugged and robbed by Thai women, a Malaysian being busted with many fake credit cards, etc.  Plus several references to his own problems with Bangkok Bank.

He came here for retirement and seemed to be having problems managing his money, probably compounded by some of the local people he associated with.

This is why I wrote earlier that this topic should be renamed "Beware of Your Bad Banking Practices".

There is nothing in this whole topic/thread that means you should 'beware' of the bad banking practices of one specific Bank or Branch. All the things mentioned regarding bad practices here have happened at banks and to people all round the world.

The remainder of the threads/responses are to do with the benefits or otherwise of using the bank in question.

1 person likes this

Are you married or live with a Thai GF if yes there is your hack. 

1 person likes this

So here is a new one - at least new to me.  My business partner tried to transfer funds from our business account in the UAE to our business account in Thailand.  Our finance manager screwed up and on the transfer request said the Thai account was USD - when it is Baht - and sent USD.  The bank wouldn't automatically exchange the USD to Baht for the transfer and returned the funds to our account in Dubai.

We resent the money just now and checked Thai Baht on the transfer request.  

Is this "normal" for a bank not to just automatically exchange the funds?

On 1/24/2017 at 6:38 AM, Briggsy said:

It's the girlfriend/boyfriend/girlfriend's boyfriend.

Or the maid. Or a relative. Or a 'friend'. Or OP is sleepwalking.

Krungsri has always served me well and I can transfer money to it from out of Thailand. If you do online banking i agree with an earlier poster that your system has been compromised by spyware

20 years with Bangkok Bank KSK, not one problem with anything yet.

1 person likes this

On 1/24/2017 at 7:14 AM, chiang mai said:

"Since 2014, to present day,  but not every month, my account has been hacked".

If that's true and not just an emotional response to your woes, I think you need to look at those people around and near to you, sounds very much like somebody you know and trust is taking advantage of you.

55555. a more polite way of saying the girlfriends boyfriend girlfriends boyfriend

On 1/24/2017 at 9:09 AM, sharktooth said:

Switch to Kasikorn. I've been with them for years and I have no complaints. Btw I also have accounts with Lloyds, Santander, HSBC and AFR, but Kasikorn continue to impress me.

5555 HSBC drug cartel money launderers were kicked out of the USA after being caught red handed. I had an HSBC credit card that was transferred to capital one. 

Personally, I don't like Kassikorn bank. Usually have long lines. Even for ATM/CDM's. 

I receive my pension and social security direct deposits through Citibank. They have a network of affiliates internationally. I make ATM withdrawals with no fees at the Citi Thai branch at ASOK. I have not tried to make any deposits though and to transfer funds to a foreign bank costs $35 per transaction. It is true there are only a couple of Citibank ATM's and branch locations in Bangkok, and CitiThai doesn't care for small accounts each time I inquire about opening an account I am told of new forms needed and what was originally a ฿10,000 opening deposit became a ฿100,000 then ฿1,000,000 opening balance. I opened my Thai account at Krungsri bank (affiliated with Japans Mitsubishi financial) the people are friendly but speak little English, no long lines, they issued a visa debit card on the spot but the iPhone app is really confusing to try to transfer funds and the statements only list transaction dates, amounts, & transaction codes do not indicate payees. I guess no such thing as perfect eh?

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

5555 HSBC drug cartel money launderers were kicked out of the USA after being caught red handed. I had an HSBC credit card that was transferred to capital one. 

Personally, I don't like Kassikorn bank. Usually have long lines. Even for ATM/CDM's. 

Sorry to ruin a nice piece of sensationalism, but HSBC is as live and well in the USA.  

55 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Sorry to ruin a nice piece of sensationalism, but HSBC is as live and well in the USA.  

Oopsie, I see I was mislead. When my HSBC MasterCard was transferred to Capital One they stated that HSBC was no longer doing business in USA I had read about Elisabeth Warren going after them. I remember reading somewhere that they lost their charter in the US oh well so much for I read it on the internet excuse 555. 

On 24/01/2017 at 11:59 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Any ATM account can be hacked, Bangkok Bank is no better or worse than others.  I've used them for 12+ years (although I don't use online banking) and I've never had a problem.  My UK credit card was hacked though!

Yeah but the difference is your UK bank covers the losses. Good luck in the LOS!

On 23/01/2017 at 11:35 PM, Dante99 said:

another case of incomplete information by an emotionally distraught dramatic OP

time to change banks and do not tell anyone about it and start with just a bank book, no cards or online but that is probably too easy

so you need Bangkok bank because of the USA connection, okay keep it but as soon as the money arrives in your Thai account, remove it and put it in another bank

and yes there are other ways to get money from the US, several of them, which can be used at other banks, strange you have to ask

agree, get smart. at the moment your doing the same thing again and again to your own detriment