BANGKOK 18 November 2018 20:59
Naise

Thai reg car in Cambodia

Hi all,

Just tried 3 different border points to try and drive my Thai reg car ( In my name) with International car passport (in my name) into Cambodia. Did not get through. Thai reg cars are not allowed through.

Does anyone know why?

ONLY Koh Kong and Osmach will allow a thai car in, its been that way for YEARS!!!!

Car passport is useless EXCEPT for Laos where it is needed.

It appears there is no formal agreement  - as yet - about private vehicles.

They have just agreed to increase the amount of commercial traffic permitted - maybe they will realise the benefits  - both business and touristic or letting private vehicles through into both countries.

• Like 1

Hi, has anyone recently managed to enter with a thai registered car at koh kong, I have a mate  who was refused entry there about 3 months ago,despite enering there a few years prior,I was planning go at weekend if anyone can update,Thanks 

Edited by nitnoymoy

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, nitnoymoy said:

Hi, has anyone recently managed to enter with a thai registered car at koh kong, I have a mate  who was refused entry there about 3 months ago,despite enering there a few years prior,I was planning go at weekend if anyone can update,Thanks 

Strange. I have entered there by car many times with no problem, but the most recent time was almost a year ago now.

As long as you agree not to leave Koh Kong (it's OK even if you do) there should be no reason for refusal. Can you ask your mate why he was refused entry? Was he refused exit on the Thai side or entry on the Cambo side?

Was in Angkor Vat last march, compared to Laos and Malaysia, the Osmach border crossing was the easiest one with a Thai registered car, the only surprised was that we had to leave the car blue book at the border, and collect it on our way back 3 days later (without any problem).

Sent from my SM-T280 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/30/2018 at 10:13 AM, egypte said:

Was in Angkor Vat last march, compared to Laos and Malaysia, the Osmach border crossing was the easiest one with a Thai registered car, the only surprised was that we had to leave the car blue book at the border, and collect it on our way back 3 days later (without any problem).

Sent from my SM-T280 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hmm. I went through O'Smach in November and was only asked to pay 100 Baht. No need to leave anything behind. I also went to Siem Reap and then exited at Poipet. However, at Koh Kong I've had to leave either my customs documents or blue book behind. The policy there is that you can't drive outside of Koh Kong province and you also pay 100 Baht for the guy to lift the gate plus 100 Baht per day you expect to be inside Cambodia. In practice you can drive wherever you want but would need to return the same way to collect your documents. Recently Koh Kong has been insisting on the blue book more often, whereas previously it was just the Thai customs documents. Overall O'Smach is cheaper and easier. I will be heading that way again very soon. I will try the new Ban Khao Din border if they let me through, if not it's off to O'Smach. If they don't retain my documents at the border (which they never previously have) I will then proceed to exit via Ban Khao Din. The issue with Cambodia is mainly that they don't have an agreement with Thailand on cars crossing the border, but will allow you to enter at O'Smach and Koh Kong, while leaving from other checkpoints seems to be OK.

i'll be using the o'smach crossing next month, need be in PP for the july 29th elections..

I exit at KK usually, as GF's Family is in Kep

Never paid at Osmach,always paid the 100 baht at KK and always had to leave the temp doc from Thailand but still many times left elsewhere and just told the thai customs i lost it.

PLEASE post how it goes at the new border>>>>

14 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

i'll be using the o'smach crossing next month, need be in PP for the july 29th elections..

I exit at KK usually, as GF's Family is in Kep

Never paid at Osmach,always paid the 100 baht at KK and always had to leave the temp doc from Thailand but still many times left elsewhere and just told the thai customs i lost it. 

PLEASE post how it goes at the new border>>>>

Sure, I'll let you know. If I can't cross at the new border I'll be crossing at O'Smach too.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, jimster said:

Hmm. I went through O'Smach in November and was only asked to pay 100 Baht. No need to leave anything behind. I also went to Siem Reap and then exited at Poipet. However, at Koh Kong I've had to leave either my customs documents or blue book behind. The policy there is that you can't drive outside of Koh Kong province and you also pay 100 Baht for the guy to lift the gate plus 100 Baht per day you expect to be inside Cambodia. In practice you can drive wherever you want but would need to return the same way to collect your documents. Recently Koh Kong has been insisting on the blue book more often, whereas previously it was just the Thai customs documents. Overall O'Smach is cheaper and easier. I will be heading that way again very soon. I will try the new Ban Khao Din border if they let me through, if not it's off to O'Smach. If they don't retain my documents at the border (which they never previously have) I will then proceed to exit via Ban Khao Din. The issue with Cambodia is mainly that they don't have an agreement with Thailand on cars crossing the border, but will allow you to enter at O'Smach and Koh Kong, while leaving from other checkpoints seems to be OK.

Maybe they ask it because my car is Chiang Mai registered !!

They told us they are now asking for blue book because they do not want Thai cars to be sold in Cambodia.

I was in Trat a few days ago with the intention of crossing into Cambodia there but my motorbike had a problem and the parts were in Rayong........so now, my bike is fixed and I am in San Kaeo hoping to cross the border in the morning. I hate the Poipet crossing (previously had my motorbike quarantined there for three days for failure to have permission letter from the Ministry of Tourism) so think to O'Smach or the new Ban Khao Din crossing. I prefer the latter one.

My bike is in my name. I have Thai green book and Thai 5 year drivers license, an expired International and expired Canadian drivers license. I have a Canada passport with two previous Cambodia business visas in it.

I would like to get:

in and out without docs held

a business Visa on arrival (so I can extend inside Cambodia)

a Cambodian drivers license

one month insurance

confirmation of current Thai fine for overstay of bike over 30 days (I paid 10,000b at O'Smach before)

Some quick advice please