webfact

Samui flights cheaper for islanders after weekend protest

38 posts in this topic

ID: 18   Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, limbos said:

No, BKK Air and Thai Air (two flights per day) operate between BKK and Samui. Your statement is incorrect.

Fair point, but still not overly varied options or competition as suggested.

Edited by BangrakBob

ID: 19   Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Bangkok Airways invested in the airport, and at that time nobody else was interested in building one; and they pay a lease for the land, which is a very normal way to make a business in Thailand, most of central Bangkok is for example build on leased land; there's nothing suspect or wrong with that kind of business set-up.

It's not monopoly; any airline can use the airport, if there are slots available, and pay the fees; the latter is quite high for USM due to the airport is funded for private investment, instead of tax-payers funds.

Bangkok Air has two more private airports in Thailand, Trat on the mainland by Koh Chang, and Sukhothai; and they are planning to build one more on the mainland north of Phuket near Khao Lak.

:smile:

Orwellian alternative facts. There is nothing honest about your post. Nobody is allowed to use the Samui airport, without the express consent of BA. Air Asia would pay those fees in a nanosecond, and nearly close down the entirety of BA's business to and from the island, overnight. They allow, who they want to allow. They allow Thai, since there is an agreement that Thai will always charge more than BA. Please. When posting try to at least approximate the truth. It is an absolute monopoly, and the government has been reckless and completely indifferent to allow it. Granted, they did pay for the improvements to the land. But, when their lease expired a few years ago it was the obligation of the administration of noluck to not renew it. Of course they did. Nobody was consulted. There was never any feedback, nor any concern for the public. Your agency, which is paying you to do PR for BA, should be aware of your lack of ability to convince us of alternative facts. 

Edited by spidermike007
1 person likes this

ID: 20   Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Edited by spidermike007

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

A "resident card" is as it says for "residents" at Koh Samui. You qualify if you are registered permanent resident on the island, proven by for example House Book or Work Permit (there are several other options). You can read more at Bangkok Airways' homepage...:smile:

I guess not everyThais know that, my owner now stays in Bangkok due to her health problem, but comes to Samui every month or so, she does not know. Also my dil her husband ... 

Thanks for your answer , I'm going to BA homepage :jap: 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Orwellian alternative facts. There is nothing honest about your post. Nobody is allowed to use the Samui airport, without the express consent of BA. Air Asia would pay those fees in a nanosecond, and nearly close down the entirety of BA's business to and from the island, overnight. They allow, who they want to allow. They allow Thai, since there is an agreement that Thai will always charge more than BA. Please. When posting try to at least approximate the truth. It is an absolute monopoly, and the government has been reckless and completely indifferent to allow it. Granted, they did pay for the improvements to the land. But, when their lease expired a few years ago it was the obligation of the administration of noluck to not renew it. Of course they did. Nobody was consulted. There was never any feedback, nor any concern for the public. Your agency, which is paying you to do PR for BA, should be aware of your lack of ability to convince us of alternative facts. 

And how do you know that Air Asia would pay the fees in a nanosecond..? :smile:

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

And how do you know that Air Asia would pay the fees in a nanosecond..? :smile:

They have expressed an interest in that route publicly, on several occasions. They could use it as a mini hub. Hong Kong. China. Singapore. KL. On and on and on.

1 person likes this

ID: 24   Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They have expressed an interest in that route publicly, on several occasions. They could use it as a mini hub. Hong Kong. China. Singapore. KL. On and on and on.

Yes, but they did not wish to pay the fees, the news-stories then also said (if I remember right, without Googling first)...:smile:

Edit: Furthermore it was a question of available "slots", as the airspace was limited to 36 operations a day.

Edited by khunPer
1 person likes this

What's the deal with those low-cost carriers? Did they kick them out? One year ago I could fly with Firefly from Penang to USM for less than the price of a flight to from USM to Bangkok. Now they stopped these flights and to go to Penang you have to first take a two-hour flight to KL for 20,000+ Baht.

It's not just flights though is it?

The whole island is run to exploit foreign tourists.

A taxi is B400 before it moves; how does this figure vs B35 in BKK. Not one taxi will ever turn a meter on. There are virtually no pick-up buses so it becomes a monopoly for the excessive taxis.

I'm sure everyone must be aware of it; the local police, the governor ....even those higher up must be aware of the dishonesty surrounding Samui.

I look forward to the day when Section 44 is enacted, the NACC and the DSI become involved to make the island a fair place for all.(Before you all reply .......I know ..... it'll never happen)!

On 2/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, MichaelJohn said:

A taxi is B400 before it moves; how does this figure vs B35 in BKK. Not one taxi will ever turn a meter on. There are virtually no pick-up buses so it becomes a monopoly for the excessive taxis.

I'm sure everyone must be aware of it; the local police, the governor ....even those higher up must be aware of the dishonesty surrounding Samui.

I look forward to the day when Section 44 is enacted, the NACC and the DSI become involved to make the island a fair place for all.(Before you all reply .......I know ..... it'll never happen)!

the taxis there exploit thais too, one of the worse islands in thailand I've been on regarding to the taxi / transportation issue.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, MichaelJohn said:

You must have gotten something very wrong, because TAT here in nathon will tell you that EVERY taxi on samui uses the meter! :smile:

1 person likes this

I found this good with a resident card 2000baht to Bangkok and 2700 back to Samui can't complain

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 people like this