craigt3365

Is this true? Report within 24 hours to immigration after arrival

113 posts in this topic

As the offices all seem to have their own rules on this or not it's anyone's guess. Needs to phone the office where he is staying to prevent an unneeded journey.

2 people like this

He probably didn't put an address on his arrival card and refused to supply one when asked.

Was he specifically told by airport immigration when he arrived? It would be interesting to know because that would be a whole new ball game. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, thai3 said:

As the offices all seem to have their own rules on this or not it's anyone's guess. Needs to phone the office where he is staying to prevent an unneeded journey.

and hope they answer - worth a try I suppose

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Who told him he needed to report?

Unless he plans on applying for an extension of the 30 day entry he has nothing to worry about. If a person does not need to do something at immigration there is nothing to worry. 

He's quite worried about this.  It was the immigration official at the airport that issued the visa exemption.  Told him to go to Jomtien within 24 hours or face a fine.  He's leaving in a few weeks, so no extension necessary.

Perhaps this was to report his residence?

16 minutes ago, wprime said:

He probably didn't put an address on his arrival card and refused to supply one when asked.

I can't answer that, but he's staying where he always does.  Same building.  It'd be easy to provide as he knows the address and unit number.  He's been here several times over the past 5 or 6 years.  Always stays at the same place.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

He's quite worried about this.  It was the immigration official at the airport that issued the visa exemption.  Told him to go to Jomtien within 24 hours or face a fine.  He's leaving in a few weeks, so no extension necessary.

Interesting that they have told him at the airport arrivals. The law is there to require it so maybe they are now 100% about everybody needing to comply whether there is any need to do other business at an immigration office or not. 

22 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Odd that the immigration officer at the airport even mentioned it. I would guess most of them would not even know about such a requirement.

As I wrote he has nothing to worry about. Nobody is going be chasing him down because he did not report.

It would be to report his residence but for most people that would be the hotel where he is staying responsibility.

There is a requirement for the 'housemaster' to report a visiting alien staying at a residence.

(Owner, manager, landlord)

The OP I am almost certain would have put his address on his TM6 arrival card so he should not be concerned.

Unless it's his condo, immigration officer has it wrong and is possibly baulking at the number of stamps in his passport. As noted above, it is down to the hotel/condo owner to report/email immigration the list of aliens staying at their property. I would ignore it; some just like to big-up themselves up by barking out arbitrary orders.

2 people like this

normal confusion and ineptness, classic example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

If he goes to immigration as ordered, maybe he gets a free order of somtum, or just confused and blank stares?

Organized chaos supreme, but so normal.

1 person likes this

Just spoke to his friend who's a travel agent.  I guess this guy got here about 2 weeks ago.  Went to immigration to ask a few questions and he was asked where he was staying.  He said in a rented condo.  He said he hadn't registered and they fined him 4,000 Baht.  This happened late last week.  According to this travel agent, they are now enforcing this old law, starting last Tuesday.  The officer there said the fine is something like 200B/day.

Sorry for the unclear facts.  Language issues are a problem and the actual guy is on a bus headed to Issan.  So yes, I'm getting this second hand. 

Joe: have you hear anything like this?  My friend is going to immigration right now to get some more info.