webfact

German couple killed on motorcycle at Cha-Am U-turn

79 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, meatboy said:

U-TURNS absolute death traps, you can wait to do a turn and what do you get a thai driver pulls up on your left blocking any view of traffic approaching.

RIP.

Then wait it's your life thats at stake,  and it's not worth much as you are only a tourist, also if you survive an accident you will be left with major financial problems, lest you have insurance

Looks like a built up area, no doubt the Honda Jazz driver was speeding. Thais! No perception of what might happen, always what won't happen.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

One practical way to cut the carnage would be to reduce the number of U-turns, build more flyovers and introduce some roundabouts.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of accidents involving U-turns, where Thai drivers routinely take up positions which block one another's view of approaching traffic - often with disastrous results.

$$$

RIP. More Tourist death in Thailand, daily occurrence unfortunately.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, jerojero said:

U turns dangerous. Motorbikes high risk vehicles. Old guys driving, higher risk. Us oldies need to realize our aging limitations in motor skills, hearing, eyesight and driving skills! RIP to the couple.

I'm not saying this was the case, but I've seen many people (of all ages) that shouldn't be driving scooters/motorcycles, renting and driving them in Thailand. I'm positive the vast majority don't have motorcycle licences in their home country... so any insurance is void. They wouldn't think of driving without the proper licence in their home country, but do in Thailand; and, seem to think they magically acquire the skills necessary to safely operate a scooter/motorcycle by buying a plane ticket.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

$$$

Well, just think of the cost of NOT doing anything, not merely in terms of the impact on thousands of Thai families (and remember that losing a breadwinner creates ongoing financial problems as well as emotional trauma) but also in terms of providing the services (police, fire, ambulance, hospitals, etc) for the mopping up operations.

The money is there The government is spending trillions on grandiose transport schemes which will have little impact on Thailand's road deaths and injuries (the second highest in the world per head of population) - not to mention three Chinese submarines costing 36 billion baht.

All that is needed is change in priorities.

1 person likes this

These people were friends of a friend.

This U-turn is dangerous as the traffic on the highway is usually doing 120+.

Its another one of those 2 way turns where your line of sight becomes blocked by vehicles turning from the opposite direction.

These people were friends of a friend.
This U-turn is dangerous as the traffic on the highway is usually doing 120+.
Its another one of those 2 way turns where your line of sight becomes blocked by vehicles turning from the opposite direction.

You just wait until all the oncoming u-turn vehicles have turned, and you can see your way clear.

What's so rocket-science about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

Been there, done that, got the accidents. 

For some reason, we've got a preponderance of roundabouts in my neck of the Isaan woods.  Why?  Maybe some civil servant engineer was educated in the UK decades back and thought it was a good idea to impose it on the hapless natives who were herding buffalo just 10 years back.     Many of our roundabouts have fountains, clock towers, or statues in the middle--just like the UK or Europe.  But that's where the civilization part of the charade comes to a chaotic end.

Every roundabout is a comedy-in-motion.  Absolutely no one understands the rules (are there any here?) or the purpose.   It's treated more like an inscrutable obstacle than a traffic-facilitator.  

• When vehicles enter the roundabout fray, some drivers already in the middle come to a dead-stop in the midst of their personal whirly-gig, not knowing how to handle or respond to the newcomer.  Everyone just sits and stares. 
  • Some new entrants race right toward the middle inner lanes, disregarding any vehicles already there, causing chaos to the existing swirling traffic.  
  • Others just go around and around, like turds in a toilet bowl, not knowing how to exit.  After five revolutions, when they finally decide to go for it, it's a mad dash through 2-3 lanes, causing at least 10 other drivers to soil their farmer's loincloths.
  • One time, just when I thought I was going to successfully make it around my first revolution, I jammed on my brakes in a total panic, being confronted by a roasted-peanut seller who had set up shop on the inside lane, enjoying the cooling spray from the center fountain.  A toothless grin from her didn't seem to help my frame of mind. 
  • We mix it up with freight trucks, buses, cars, motorbikes, bicyclists, pedestrians, dogs and a few confused chickens--all unwilling participants in a washing machine spin cycle imported from a hi-so god-knows-where.   

Teach them how to use it?  Good luck with that.  

Totally agree. The Dolphin roundabout in Pattaya was the scene of more accidents than any U-turn along Sukhumvit road, but as the speeds were lower the Grim Reaper wasn't as effective!

1 person likes this