tukkytuktuk

Do you discipline your own children?

35 posts in this topic

Very simple, do you discipline your own children? At home, out shopping, etc. What sort of discipline? Does it work? Tips and strategies, against any form of discipline, etc...

1 person likes this

MOVED to appropriate forum, Family and Children

Nothing works for a tantrum in a 2 year old you have said no to. 

2 people like this

Tantrum  Ignore or laugh at them.

For older children i gave my daughter perks in life.  Going to sports bowling going to town once a month (we lived outside toronto.)

Punishments were easy she was never sent to her room she was sent down to the rec room or our room.  Nothing toplay with.

Whenb she got older she got presents for doing good. that she wanted.

ie going to a hockey game or a movie by herself.

punishment was that we would leave her with her grandmother while we went to the movie or the game.

Never had toi raise my hand toher just set the limits.  Even her teachers feared me if they screwed up and it had nothing to do with force just a forceful presence.  

An Army sargeant laying into you is never a good thing.  

Its about communication just explain the reasons behind something.example just not only say eat all your veggies but also explain why they should eat them.

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, rijb said:

Kids will act out.  But, the best way to discourage it, is to give the child responsibilities, at an early age.  In my experience, scheduled chores are the best way to do that.  Many Thai kids believe their only job is to go to school.  That's not enough.

To answer the OP my kids have been lucky,  my sloppy answer is l've just loved my kids and always tried to be there.

Making it Thai related it reminds of the many young Thai lads in school,  one of whom said when asked,  " why do you not want to learn anything,"   he said,  " l get up in the dark morning and have to work on my fathers farm, getting to school l'm tired and bored, when l get home l work the farm until bedtime,  when l'm older and finish school l will have to work on my fathers farm."

Some kind of discipline l guess but so sad to me. 

I don't have kids. I also don't know anybody that disciplines there kids with corporal punishment

anymore. (If that is what you are getting at) Just words. It will be interesting to see how it all turns

out in twenty years or so.  

Don't have any children but sometimes have to discipline other people's children.

2 people like this

33 minutes ago, williet98248 said:

Don't have any children but sometimes have to discipline other people's children.

What method do you use don't leave us hanging

Troll post removed.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Making it Thai related it reminds of the many young Thai lads in school,  one of whom said when asked,  " why do you not want to learn anything,"   he said,  " l get up in the dark morning and have to work on my fathers farm, getting to school l'm tired and bored, when l get home l work the farm until bedtime,  when l'm older and finish school l will have to work on my fathers farm."

Some kind of discipline l guess but so sad to me. 

So many children around the world never experience what many of us envision as childhood. Many children in the western world also experience similar situations to what you describe in Thai rural areas,  long days of work combined with school and little genuine hope of escaping from their circumstances.

On the other hand many children in urban or suburban areas are more or less left to their own to devices by physically or emotionally absent parents ... whether the children have to manage their own survival because of poverty or they receive "love" from their parents with unlimited cash that takes them down an equally bleak path.

The western notion of two parent families that spend most of their time together in a cohesive, protective unit that fosters stable child development is  less typical in these days when divorce is common and children experience less parenting from parent(s) who have less time to spend with them.

2 people like this

"Do you discipline your own children?"

My only child, yes of course...:smile: