rooster59

Chiang Mai city transport: Uber or "Rot Daeng"? Thousands of Thais want change

45 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted

Chiang Mai city transport: Uber or "Rot Daeng"? Thousands of Thais want change

taxi.PNG

Image: Daily News

Thousands of Thai people in Chiang Mai have demanded change in the city's transport provision after four people were fined for running illegal Uber and Grab-taxi services.

A campaign has been launched that calls the city's traditional red four wheelers (Rot Daeng) an outdated scourge that should be run off the roads - not the new taxi firms.

Daily News reported that the local land transport department had stopped four members of the public from running Uber and Grab-taxi businesses. The department called the private cars "black plate cabs" and therefore illegal.

And they said they would continue on the crackdown.

But now a website has been set up calling for change - and seven thousand local residents have signed a petition.

The website is at www.change.org.

The website poses the question: "Are 'rot daeng' wanted anymore?"

Then it continues: "They have been around for ages. They cut in and out and are noisy. They provide a bad service and are polluting causing harm to the public health.

"The land transport department have been unable to regulate and improve their service. When Chiang Mai people have a chance for an improved, safer, quicker and healthier transport system they just try to ban it without coming up with anything better."

Daily News said that social media in the northern capital was abuzz with comment as people went to the website to agree with its sentiments.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-04
1 person likes this

ID: 3   Posted

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Uber and Grab-taxi services

The future.

Thailand, stuck in the past.

1 person likes this

ID: 5   Posted

9 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

Wasn't the CBD of Chiang Mai promised a light tram system to remove these red vehicles out of the area by the then PM Yinluck on one of her many visits???

Indeed but the military seem to have scuppered that plan a couple of years ago.

1 person likes this

ID: 6   Posted

Apart from the pollution problem of the diesel smoke they spew out, I dislike drivers asking for 2 or 3 times the going rate for a local fare.   Often these are empty, and I just wave them off, and they leave with no passengers;  the next wagon or two is usually available at the normal price.

2 people like this

ID: 7   Posted

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Indeed but the military seem to have scuppered that plan a couple of years ago.

Yes, with reason.

1 person likes this

ID: 8   Posted (edited)

Change to taxis is not a fantastic change, at all.

Some form of public transport controlled by local authorities is a  possible answer.

But please everyone, don't forget many people earn a living driving tuktuks, rotdaeng.

Edited by hansnl

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"The land transport department have been unable to regulate and improve their service. When Chiang Mai people have a chance for an improved, safer, quicker and healthier transport system they just try to ban it without coming up with anything better."

Thats it in a nutshell. Add my name to the list. My g/f left for 4 days and told me not to walk her up to the corner because if the red trucks saw me waiting they would double the price to the bus station. Yes I know 90% of transportation funding goes to Bangkok and we get scraps left overs. Cancel one submarine and give us an upgrade. Get your priorities straight for a change and get out of the sandbox with your military toys.  

2 people like this

2 hours ago, 1337markus said:

Wasn't the CBD of Chiang Mai promised a light tram system to remove these red vehicles out of the area by the then PM Yinluck on one of her many visits???

You got to stay up to date. YL plans have changed considerably since then. 

1 person likes this

48 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Yes, with reason.

Submarines, tanks, planes, trains, etc.etc.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Saladin said:

The bandits are the tuk-tuk drivers who expect 100 baht minimum just to say good morning, and so are avoided like the plague by the locals.

Amen. Plus with my poundage and advanced age I find its hard to contortion my way into the back. The pollution is far worse. It has gone beyond a fair price argument and advanced to a health problem when all the traffic is factored in. 

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, slapout said:

If you spend any time watching the way the people driving these vehicles, you might realize they might earn a living at it but they also are bigger threat to the living people who are exposed to their erratic way of driving. Many park in the street near the moat to wash their vehicle, take public parking areas to take a nap, charge tourist 5 times the official rate, dump a group on the moat instead of driving down the soi to hotel/guest house, etc. Most seem to have no idea of how to read a map of the old city which is only 1 square mile in size and they can be quite rude when you tell them where you want to go and the decline to take you.

Most are owned by a single company and rented out to drivers.

I guess your last sentence explains it all. I see a lot of shiny new ones out and about it must be a paying business.