Trek800

Thai language for foreigners - 1 year (2 semesters) University Program?

10 posts in this topic

ID: 2   Posted

The thai language and culture course is avaiable in Chiang mai at Chiang Mai University,  duration 1 year. Google for details.

ID: 5   Posted

checking out the uni programs is all good, but if you really want to learn Thai language, the very last thing I would recommend is studying at a university. I've experienced both (2 universities and 5 private language schools) and there is absolutely no comparison. And if a visa is part of the issue, you can also get a visa from proper private schools.
I only have experience with private schools in Bangkok. I would recommend Union Language School first. After that, I would recommend Unity Thai Language School (who "appropriated" Union Language School's system a number of years ago and started their own school). I think your progress in the language at one of those schools as compared to a university will be dramatically different.

ID: 6   Posted

Anything down south...

Hey, those UDRU girls are hot, hot, hot and very reasonable....I'm taking a course at a private school and the biggest negative is that the course is taught in English, but there are a few non-NES in the class, besides the teacher...and you thought fingernails across the blackboard was bad....one of the guys is a good dude, while the other one wears dirty circus pants, has bad BO, and is a devought communist from Eastern Europe.

On 8.3.2017 at 5:18 PM, Sig said:

checking out the uni programs is all good, but if you really want to learn Thai language, the very last thing I would recommend is studying at a university. I've experienced both (2 universities and 5 private language schools) and there is absolutely no comparison. And if a visa is part of the issue, you can also get a visa from proper private schools.
I only have experience with private schools in Bangkok. I would recommend Union Language School first. After that, I would recommend Unity Thai Language School (who "appropriated" Union Language School's system a number of years ago and started their own school). I think your progress in the language at one of those schools as compared to a university will be dramatically different.

What´s the advantage / added value of joining UTLS after attending a Union LS for half a year or so. Genuinely interested to hear your insight and experience with that approach!

On 3/14/2017 at 7:57 PM, DUS said:

What´s the advantage / added value of joining UTLS after attending a Union LS for half a year or so. Genuinely interested to hear your insight and experience with that approach!

Sorry, I don't understand your question.
I didn't attend ULS for half a year or so. Are you saying that you did? and are wondering what the value of joining UTL would be after that?
I attended private schools for a couple of months to I think about 4 months on various visits, years apart.
But if I understand the gist of your question, I don't see that there would be any particular advantage unless there were a teacher that suited you better at one place over the other. Location to where I was staying was one reason I chose one over the other. I used UTL, which I could walk to. If I had to do it over, I'd take the train to ULS. Mostly because I found the attitudes at ULS MUCH easier to live with.
My main point was to not waste time in university language learning if at all possible.

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

I obviously misinterpreted your "I would recommend Union Language School first. After that, I would recommend Unity Thai Language School (who "appropriated" Union Language School's system a number of years ago and started their own school)". Thought you´d recommended using these different teaching approaches in consecutive order rather than your first choice of school being Union LS and your second choice being Unity.

1 person likes this