webfact

Cambodians feasting on Pattaya strays anger local dog lovers

82 posts in this topic

A kid on our Soi was excited to get a new puppy.  She showed it to her friend.  Her friend said the dog looked nice and healthy.  And that it would make a nice, juicy BBQ.  She wasn't joking.

Did you know there are 11 countries which legally eat dog meat and 1 of those is Switzerland ( in 2 cantons).  Bet you get some damn good steaks out of a St Bernard plus of course it comes with brandy to drink after.

Found this little snippet also on the net.

"Ever wondered what to do with your pet dog or cat when you just get tired of it?
Perhaps you need to put it to sleep because, it's getting on in years.

Maybe your dog barks too much or your cat rips up your furniture.

Well, now you can solve that problem and love your pet to death in a delicious way.

CookYourPet.com offers a host of sumptuous recipes of dog and cat meat and also a variety of weapons to humanely end your pet's life, from garrots to clubs, from electrocution baths to hangman's ropes.

We even offer a variety of chocolate poisons that are only toxic to dogs.

Make Muffin or Stew a permanent part of your life.

Garnish your tasty companion with celery, carrots and peas.

Turn man's or girl's best friend into a feast you and your children will remember for years.

After all, you are what you eat, and eating your pet is the greatest sign of love you can show."

2 people like this

Should be actively encouraged to clean up the streets... catch two get one free !!!

2 people like this

ID: 54   Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, localczar said:

there should be a bounty on stray dogs.

What a bit like this

dog-the-bounty-hunter-beth-chapman-30-million-dollar-lawsuit__oPt.jpg

Edited by onemorechang
1 person likes this

Better than feeding on stray humans!

Only good. Let them eat all the stray dogs. If people love their dogs, then they take care of them, and not at all let then run around uncontrolled.
Just don´t come say I love dogs, and they can not eat them. If you love dogs, them take all of the strays and make a living with them in the countryside somewhere inside a big fence.

1 person likes this

Classic. Cambodians working for the Thai military, half of whom probably with no work permits, getting paid so badly, they have to chase Soi dogs to eat.

Anyone still think we have a good temporary administration?

2 people like this

ID: 58   Posted (edited)

In the journal s of Lewis and Clark dog meat was preferred over all the other choices.  Bison, elk, deer, antelope.  In my 6 weeks in Thailand I saw a big dog problem. And one off leash fog dashed out to bite our feet and caused a crash of a scooter I was on.  Yes my female driver hurt her foot and leg pretty badly.  I say change the rule and let stray dogs be fair game.  What kind of dog lover is ok with rabies outbreaks?

What's next dengue fever?

Malaria?

PS how many beach resorts have these resident dog pack problem that they can't do anything about?  It sure wasn't the highlight of my visit.   I am sure I would enjoy BBQ dog from street vendors more than the insects I've tried.  And yes I've had dogs as pets.   

Edited by Elkski
1 person likes this

I now why you male (LOL) dog haters are acting like hysterical females: It's international woman's day, so you are venting your frustration over Hillary's loss. LOL I bet if the strays were all  toy poodles...LOL

1 person likes this

I totally agree, these "so called" placed dog lovers, they don't nothing to

help just big words and rhetoric, hypocrites, we have enough of them.

2 things come to mind:

- Thai soi dogs can't be very smart, otherwise they would be seeking asylum in Europe (preferrably Germany), trying to qualify as "refugees".

- Every year some Farangs living in Pattaya dissappear into thin air. Never to be seen again. Have some of them been living near major construction sites ?

Cheers.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, ECHOO said:

I totally agree, these "so called" placed dog lovers, they don't nothing to

help just big words and rhetoric, hypocrites, we have enough of them.

Great 1st post. You are really an expert on TV dog lovers. LOL

1 person likes this

I have 4 Thai dogs and love them all to bits.

However, I adopted them with the full knowledge of MY civic responsibilities to spay and neuter them, provide them with a good home which includes ALL vaccinations, proper food, exercise,  training and keeping them penned. 

As for the so-called "dog lovers" in the OP, their charity is misplaced. If they truly loved the dogs, they would take them in and off the streets, vaccinate them, have them de-sexed and control them (keep them fenced). Not just feed a growing menace that is a serious public health risk. 

The problem here isn't the Cambodians (in fact they are providing a much needed public service--as much as I love dogs I prefer to not get rabies). The problem is the mentality of people. Not the dogs. 

Hopefully, humans can be more responsible in their decisions lest Fido end up on the BBQ. 

That being said, I do not find it morally abhorrent that economically marginalized people use dogs as a food source. I eat chicken, pork and beef. 

What I find disturbing is that self-proclaimed "animal lovers" that encourage these strays will go home and declare they did their part while feasting on CP chicken cleaned and processed by Cambodians who have about the same quality of life as these dogs in Thailand.

Stray dogs are a public health threat. Dogs that are taken care of by thoughtful humans can be disease-free, wonderful friends and companions. It is up to us as humans in how we treat each other and animals. From the OP, seems like the Cambodians were afforded less respect than street dogs. Sad. 

2 people like this

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Could always try the rats!

Locals take care of that (Farangs too who don't know where the meat comes from), Rats are a delicious in many parts of the country, so I am told) they even sell rat traps to catch them, should make those traps bigger as there is a big rat in bangkok that needs catching

1 person likes this

Sounds like they were doing the area a good service.

feed the strays, and gave them medical attention said the Thai lady?  I doubt that.  threw them some scraps of food maybe.  But from what I have seen they don't know much about dogs. I see them routinely throwing the dogs chicken bones, which are brittle and very dangerous for dogs to consume

12 hours ago, rijb said:

A kid on our Soi was excited to get a new puppy.  She showed it to her friend.  Her friend said the dog looked nice and healthy.  And that it would make a nice, juicy BBQ.  She wasn't joking.

A case of "I like dogs....., especially with a little BBQ sauce."

1 person likes this

Ok 2 issues here One is the dogs I cant walk anywhere without being scared of being bitten or attacked by these dogs Go Cambodians you are doing us all a favour by getting rid of these dogs It is not un common for some people to have 7 to 8 dogs at there homes How bloody stupid Second issue Why are Cambodians working on these sites? All of you can see Thai men walking around doing nothing Gee i can and i am half blind The Thai men should be working on these sites Why are Cambodians working there? They make it hard hard for farangs to get work permits but Cambodians seem to have no prob I am sure Thai men can work on building sites Or are they just bloody lazy That why these Cambodians are here So keep going Cambodians you are doing the job of thais and cleaning up the stray dogs Hooray

Does anyone know who these Cambodians are? as i would like to invite them around to out soi for a free meal , in fact 3 or 4 free meals

2 people like this

12 hours ago, docshock13 said:

I have 4 Thai dogs and love them all to bits.

However, I adopted them with the full knowledge of MY civic responsibilities to spay and neuter them, provide them with a good home which includes ALL vaccinations, proper food, exercise,  training and keeping them penned. 

As for the so-called "dog lovers" in the OP, their charity is misplaced. If they truly loved the dogs, they would take them in and off the streets, vaccinate them, have them de-sexed and control them (keep them fenced). 

So you think love is chopping your nuts off and being locked up?

if I were a dog I would prefer holding on to my knackers and to be let out to use them.

do you have a son?

Here is another perspective: In 2011 something terrible happened in my family. It was the kind of event that people commit suicide over.

Stunned, I went down to Naklua Beach in the hope of clearing my mind. My heart was broken, and I had no one to speak to. Four beach dogs came up to me and two of them started licking my arms. One did the shake a paw thing. When I got up - they followed. I went for a swim 2 of them swam with me. I walked to Naklua road - they all came with me. In other words - they sensed my pain.

I fed those dogs for 4 years afterwards.

In 2015 employees of the new luxury hotel rounded them up. The Thais told me that they fed them to the crocodiles.

13 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

So you think love is chopping your nuts off and being locked up?

if I were a dog I would prefer holding on to my knackers and to be let out to use them.

do you have a son?

I'm calling CBT

This article reminds me of that old chestnut:

There are no slow dogs in Cambodia.

ID: 75   Posted (edited)

Maybe if Thailand had modest social programs, the Cambodians wouldn't  have to eat dogs. Yet another failure of the Thai state. Take care of your people to avoid bad publicity.

Edited by Chip Allen
cause