SiamBeast

What's the hype with "green tea?"

83 posts in this topic

ID: 4   Posted

^ Indeed. I was mostly talking about the pre-mixed bottles of green tea often marketed as "healthy" but in fact loaded with sugar. There are some delicious unsweetened variations of the product that I often enjoy.

Oh, those things are dreadful.  Just as bad for you as any soft drink.

1 person likes this

I.m sure that the green tea ice cream that Dairy Queen sells is healthy and sugar free!!!:post-4641-1156694572:

Regular green tea with hot water is nice and refreshing. 

Not so keen on all the matcha ice cream, lattes and whatever else though

1 person likes this

This is common in Chinese restaurants, but this tea is brewed and hot. It is reputed to aid digestion. The bottled stuff here is just a soft drink in my opinion.

2 people like this

Thai people seem to like to ascribe medicinal properties to a variety of food and drink. I have been eating at Thai restaurants with the family and someone will encourage me to eat a particular soup or dish because the vegetables are good medicine. In most cases it appears to me that the more bitter the vegetables, the stronger medicine they supposedly provide.

I look in wonder each new year as people spend a great deal of hard earned money buying those fancy wrapped holiday packages for other family members, which include a supply of small bottles of something that one is supposed to drink each day.  When they gift someone a thirty day supply I am guessing that is supposed to inoculate that person for the rest of the year.

31 minutes ago, imagemaestro said:

Just a cautionary note.  Green tea, unsweetened and preferably freshly brewed or prepared, hot or cold is an acquired taste... but delicious and refreshing.... however if you have for dietary or other reasons been warned about caffeine use be careful.  Many contained substantial levels of caffeine.

I have gastro  reflux problems.....  severe.  (GIRD)  or (GORD) depending on USA or Britain.   I was chugging green tea like a madman believing it was good for me.  Not so.  It's caffeine levels were making life worse.

Lets balance your comment out by a positive, it is full of anti oxidants and any food or drink should be taken in moderation. As for caffeine taken in moderation and its effect on the average person its debatable. For you with your condition you should drink red bush tea from South Africa, it is medicinal and caffeine free.

2 people like this

ID: 14   Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, wayned said:

I.m sure that the green tea ice cream that Dairy Queen sells is healthy and sugar free!!!:post-4641-1156694572:

Is it? How I would like to eat sugar free ice cream, can anyone confirm that Wayned is right? :thumbsup:

Edited by possum1931

Thai people seem to like to ascribe medicinal properties to a variety of food and drink. I have been eating at Thai restaurants with the family and someone will encourage me to eat a particular soup or dish because the vegetables are good medicine. In most cases it appears to me that the more bitter the vegetables, the stronger medicine they supposedly provide.

I look in wonder each new year as people spend a great deal of hard earned money buying those fancy wrapped holiday packages for other family members, which include a supply of small bottles of something that one is supposed to drink each day.  When they gift someone a thirty day supply I am guessing that is supposed to inoculate that person for the rest of the year.

My gf calls those supplements Brand although I think that might be the brand name ( no pun intended) they are usually extract of something, chicken or mushroom for example.
She bought me a box one time as I was sick, one every morning before eating, the mushroom one is okay but the chicken is pretty strong !!
They are quite expensive and yes Thai people seem to buy them like hot cakes and consider them a good " gift" for family or friends.

Whether they have any medicinal benefits I don't know, I just went with the flow and drank one every morning like a good boy
2 people like this