SiamBeast

What's the hype with "green tea?"

69 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Do your research.  Natural products are not as damaging as processed sugar.

Well, that's what the organic marketers would like you to think. That's why a bottle of concentrated but nevertheless fresh orange juice equivalent to how many oranges you might eat in a fortnight is really good for you ...

Like the Thais who think that if 1 antibiotic pill is good for you, 2 or 3 at a time must be even better, and why not take the whole bottle now?

2 people like this

The Doi Tung tea has a great flavour also

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Tells you how life is really boring at times, 52 posts, 3 pages, about green tea!!!

Seems every thing has been said, a sugary soft drink will promote diabetes later in life for most Thais, in the states every supermarket has almost every soft drink they sell available in low cal i.e. No sugar, sadly as the Thai hi sos own most of the sugar production they don't give a shit about the adverse effects of consumption, the only thing that motivates most Thais I have met is money, including the village where I live in Korat, a farang means money , and so many think it's normal for a farang to just give money away to anyone who asks.. I mention this as it also normal for most lowly educated Thais to spoon sugar on everything they eat.. But hey this is Thailand and we are really meant to just shut up..

bit of a rant I agree but some things including sugar consumption just piss me off.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:34 PM, FNQ said:

I drink the 100% Safflower Tea Hot or cold.allegedly good for Detox and Cholesterol.

Seems to me you are also a vegetarian or vegan., different strokes for different folks,

On 4/15/2017 at 0:44 PM, JHolmesJr said:

excellent choice…especially for smokers.

but its important to get the good tea from taiwan…its called High Mountain (Gao Shan) Tea.

My faves are Dong Ding, Long Feng Xia and Da Yu Ling…..doesnt come cheap but all taste wonderful.

They have subtle variations in flavour depending on the soil and clime at they're grown in.

another excellent tea is from dried sage leaves (the middle eastern variety, not spanish)…very good for lowering BP

and cholesterol. also celery seed tea is great for joint pains.

These are all unprocessed teas that you have to brew yourself….dont ever buy them bottled…it will be crap.

It makes no different if you buy Ding Dong or Pippifax. It's not any special benefit. But if you just like to drink green tea it's ok.

1 person likes this

ID: 58   Posted (edited)

According to scientists the most healthy green tea is Japanese Matcha , very popular also here in Thailand , and expensive.  

The health benefits are enormous if you believe in the hype about antioxidants .  

The difference is that regular green tea involves soaking the leaves, loose or in a bag and then discarding them. When you drink matcha tea, you're drinking the actual leaves, which are stone-grounded into fine powder.  

Studies shows that 1 cup of matcha tea may provide the antioxidant equivalent of 3 cups of regular green tea and as much as 137 times more antioxidants than low-grade green tea. 

photo1.jpg

Edited by balo

6 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

It makes no different if you buy Ding Dong or Pippifax. It's not any special benefit. But if you just like to drink green tea it's ok.

LOL….you clearly don't know that green tea and oolong are two different things. 

Dong Ding!

19 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

LOL….you clearly don't know that green tea and oolong are two different things. 

Dong Ding!

Some people don't know the difference between a Bordeaux and a Claret.....  (B Fawlty)

My choice of green tea is Viet Thai Nguyan. A fabulous tea, best enjoyed in a Saigon street cafe. The revolting luminous green, hot, sickly sweet, muck that is usually served in Thailand bears no relation to tea and the tinned stuff is also in the same class.

On 15/04/2017 at 9:45 AM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Lets balance your comment out by a positive, it is full of anti oxidants and any food or drink should be taken in moderation. As for caffeine taken in moderation and its effect on the average person its debatable. For you with your condition you should drink red bush tea from South Africa, it is medicinal and caffeine free.

Do you mean Rooibos tea? Don't know if my spelling is correct. 😕

It's not hype it's been around for a few hundred years. It's a very powerful antioxidant and antiinflammatory drink. 

If you drink the real green tea, that is. Not the commercial watered up version. 

1 person likes this

ID: 63   Posted (edited)

Unsweetened green tea aids in cutting weight granted that you eat clean for the most part. It's also good as an after meal drink because it assists with better digestion

Edited by pieceofcake22

10 minutes ago, pieceofcake22 said:

Unsweetened green tea aids in cutting weight granted that you eat clean for the most part. It's also good as an after meal drink because it assists with better digestion.

it also cures athlete's foot, prevents HIV infections and protects against cobras and other wild animals.

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

it also cures athlete's foot, prevents HIV infections and protects against cobras and other wild animals.

Stating facts apparently bring out trolls to bark their way into oblivion. 

2 people like this

ID: 66   Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, pieceofcake22 said:

Stating facts apparently bring out trolls to bark their way into oblivion. 

parrotting unsubstantiated claims pertaining to a proven hype is another way towards oblivion.

Edited by Naam

Everywhere, I see people (both Thai and foreigners) drinking the so-called "green tea" that is extremely popular in Thailand. Even my wife came back home today with a bottle of green tea for me, "drink this, it's good for you and your health, it's tea".

Just wondering, is there any campaign currently running to let Thais know that green tea is just a sugary drink with empty calories and no nutritional value?

I think that's one of the main reason of obesity in the country and the #1 misrepresented drink around. Just food for thought.

I buy the pre brewed ITO EN Green Tea unsweetened, no sugar, from Tops each bottle has about 60mg of caffeine

And

Raming Green Tea Organic leaves, which I boil myself

I drink them as a source of caffeine, doesn't taste too bad, better than the caffeine tabs and less harsh on my prostate (suffer from prostatitis)

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

repeating unsubstantiated claims pertaining to a proven hype is another way towards oblivion.

Mostly everything seems unsubstantiated in the eyes of ignorant beings who, without any basis, not only refuse to encourage others to take a healthier route because they do not possess the discipline to carry a healthy lifestyle themselves but go out of their way to debate facts. Naysayers, they say nay and that's all they say. Thank you for proving my point, keyboard warrior. 

1 person likes this

granted that you eat clean for the most part

:cheesy: