lkn

Thai word for “so”, as in “in conclusion”

16 posts in this topic

I often find myself mixing in the English word “so” when I speak Thai, this would be before starting a sentence that basically sums up what we have agreed on.

 

For example, “so, you will send it to me next week?”.

 

Does anyone know if there is a Thai equivalent to this word, or alternatively, the Thai equivalent to “I repeat what we have agreed on, just to make sure both of us are on the same page”?.

 

I have tried a dictionary and used a few of the words that “so” translates to, but Thais tell me that nobody speaks like that, and indeed, I never actually hear other people use these words.

 

What I did notice was that one bank lady added “tuk mai” after many sentences, which does somewhat express the same, but sometimes “so” is used in front of a question, where it would not work. For example something like “so, [going back to the original question] what is your preference?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 2   Posted (edited)

I can't think of any direct translation, but based on the sample phrases you're giving, I think that in such a context, many people would end with "tok long raw <insert action decided upon here>". I hear "tok long raw..." (ตกลงเรา) used much as "so we do agree that we..."

Just based on everyday's conversation. I'm not a Thai language expert by any means.

Edited by Lannig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see to remember hearing สรุปว่า used in speech in that context.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

แล้วก็… ?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In casual speech I would use  ก็เลย  or ดัวนั็น slightly more formal would be  จึง  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, in your example, lkn, has no intrinsic meaning, but is rather being used as a discourse marker to show that the conversation is both being ended and the conclusions and actions to be taken are in this ending sentence.

 

In that sense, I feel ตกลง is the closest spoken equivalent. I have heard ค็อนเฟิม used in this sense many times. Note how "confirm" has strayed from its English meaning and has become "it is agreed that...." or "this is not provisional but agreed."

 

futsukayoi's words for "so" could be used in this context but mean "therefore" which is not quite what lkn is after.

 

Another alternative is the use of แล้วกัน at the end of the sentence which is a Thai discourse marker for a conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lkn, I would be interested in knowing what words you found which were the equivalent of 'so' as you have used it. It is more a less a preamble, so = As a result of what we agreed on.
So, you will do it then?
So, You will send it to me next week then?
แล้ว is used before the next act to be done.
แล้วอย่าลืมส่งมาให้นะ


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies!

 

As for tgeezer’s question about words tried, the last one was จึง (as also suggested by futsukayoi above), and that’s where I ran into a friend telling me that “Thai’s do not speak like that” :)

 

I btw ran into another use case yesterday, taking a taxi to the airport and the driver asks me if I am going on a trip, I tell him “I’ll only go to Chiang Mai so park at the domestic terminal”. Here I again was missing the proper word to use as prefix for the “park at domestic”, maybe someone can let me know how they would have said this sentence in Thai?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lkn said:

“I’ll only go to Chiang Mai so park at the domestic terminal”

 

วันนี้จะบินไม่ไกลบินไปเชียวใหม่ก็ขอส่งผมที่อาคารในประเทศหน่อยครับ

 

ก็ logical consequence in spoken Thai.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/3/2560 at 5:06 PM, lkn said:

Thanks for the replies!

 

As for tgeezer’s question about words tried, the last one was จึง (as also suggested by futsukayoi above), and that’s where I ran into a friend telling me that “Thai’s do not speak like that” :)

 

I btw ran into another use case yesterday, taking a taxi to the airport and the driver asks me if I am going on a trip, I tell him “I’ll only go to Chiang Mai so park at the domestic terminal”. Here I again was missing the proper word to use as prefix for the “park at domestic”, maybe someone can let me know how they would have said this sentence in Thai?

 

here so means consequently thus you should use  เพราะฉะน้ัน    from what I've been told จึง  is for written language

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bannork said:

here so means consequently thus you should use  เพราะฉะน้ัน    from what I've been told จึง  is for written language

You are correct in meaning but the level of formality is a little high in the sentence explaining the reason for the destination with respect to the use of เพราะฉะนั้น.  You will hear เพราะฉะนั้น on the TV news. จึง in written Thai is a good rule of thumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually say ดังนั้น.

 

Also what about (sorry cant spell it in Thai)  Laew Gor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that if you have the meat of what you want to say then the little words don't matter. This thread started with 'so' which doesn't fulfill a grammatical role. I wondered if you wanted the 'so' currently used to answer a question where my generation use 'well'. eg. Q. What happened? A. So, he said to her...,
In that case 'so' is meaningless, and I think that your 'so' may be meaningless here.
ก้อ / แล้วก็ แล้ว are the closest I think but why bother?
I bet you can't remember how the driver asked if you were "going on a trip". Your answer would depend on that. Briggsy bravely attempted to get some Thai into the thread but he had to imagine a scene, why not have a go at reproducing the conversation you had?
จอดที่อาคารโดเมซทิกได้ครับ I would say.
I have since looked up 'do may s'tic' on Google and found อาคารผู้โดยสารภายในประเทศ . I might say that but probably not.
ไปเชียงใหม่ คุณทราบไหมว่า ต้องลงได้ดีที่ไหม /ต้องลงที่ไหนดีไหม etc. One has all these words bouncing around in the brain box, one knows what they mean and has to get out as many as possible before needing to scream "ที่นี้ดีแล้ว! อย่าเลยครับ





Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I woke early and wrote my last post in bed on my iPhone before getting up, I just found this one on my iPad, unlike Briggsy I don't believe in being brief so I will post it as well.
I had อาคารโดเมซทิก "do me satic" and that is what I would say to a taxi driver. The problem is that he is not going to admit that he doesn't understand so the more you say the better, the problem then is which part of what you said worked! Forget the fact that you used a word like 'so' in English, Thai has the tiny meaningless words but they are best assimilated, get the meat of what you want to say.
Google can be fun, I googled "ภาษาไทย domestic terminal" and found that Thai domestic terminal is 'passengers in side the country building' อาคารผู้โดยสารภายในประเทศ , which is Briggsy's account near enough.
There is usually no need to open the links, the precis is enough.
One interesting general word nothing to do with the topic, which I learnt from that was ผลลัพธ์ > result.




Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I woke early and wrote my last post in bed on my iPhone before getting up, I just found this one on my iPad, unlike Briggsy I don't believe in being brief so I will post it as well.
I had อาคารโดเมซทิก "do me satic" and that is what I would say to a taxi driver. The problem is that he is not going to admit that he doesn't understand so the more you say the better, the problem then is which part of what you said worked! Forget the fact that you used a word like 'so' in English, Thai has the tiny meaningless words but they are best assimilated, get the meat of what you want to say.
Google can be fun, I googled "ภาษาไทย domestic terminal" and found that Thai domestic terminal is 'passengers in side the country building' อาคารผู้โดยสารภายในประเทศ , which is Briggsy's account near enough.
There is usually no need to open the links, the precis is enough.
One interesting general word nothing to do with the topic, which I learnt from that was ผลลัพธ์ > result.




Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I thought ผลลัพธ์ might mean outcome which is a little different from result as in suggesting the result had an effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't go into things that deeply, what is the difference between outcome and result, doesn't it depend on context? การแปล is the context ผมลับธ์ the result of translation, out come of translation.
ผลลับธ์ is actually a mathmatical term.
Good lord, I have just looked it up in longdoo and found 'result' !


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 30 May 2017 08:31
Sponsors
  • Popular Now