Lumbini

Check freon

35 posts in this topic

How much should I pay to have the air con in room to have its freon checked and toped off ? Also how much to have the unit insides and outside cleaned ? The room is small only about 40 meters but air con blows hard and air is not very cold so I guess that's why unit has to work so hard and bill so high ? Thanks

Normal cleaning seems to run about 4-600 baht from most reports and well worth the price at least yearly.  40sm is not a small room however - that would be almost 2 normal hotel rooms.

Thanks does that price cover the freon top up ? Thanks

Have never required as part of cleaning but expect that might be extra.  Units should not need normally.

I had 2 units cleaned and serviced recently and it was 1000baht fer both...made a big difference in the operation...

about  500 baht but i do my own inside and out, really if  you need any gas then........................you have a problem, it also is a "nice  little  earner" for some aircon cleaners

Be skeptical if you have a guy "check" the gas in a unit. Would not be unusual for him to drain out some of the gas without you knowing then charging some excessive price per kilo for the gas.

Do a cleaning first about 500B per machine and an hour time in most cases. See how they run then. Then consider a gassing. Most decent services will do this

Yes the gas should not need topping up at every clean  its ( should be) a 100% closed system  like a refrigerator  but micro leaks can happen and it can take a long time for enough refrigerant escapes to notice  the performance loss..eventually it just wont be cold and the "technician" takes the easier /cheaper option of just topping up.

Find the leak,recover the refrigerant,solder/braze the leak,vacuum test for no more leaks and then refill the refrigerant...is much more of a job !

Price for the gas is up to how much they have to use to fill it. But for Freon it will be less than 500 i assume...the other gas (ozonlayer friendly one) costs much much more though...10 times more.

12 hours ago, longball53098 said:

Be skeptical if you have a guy "check" the gas in a unit. Would not be unusual for him to drain out some of the gas without you knowing then charging some excessive price per kilo for the gas.

Do a cleaning first about 500B per machine and an hour time in most cases. See how they run then. Then consider a gassing. Most decent services will do this

If you get a recommended company to do the cleaning ask them to check the gas levels and then make a note of what they say for the next check. Better still also find out what the recommended level should be before they do the test. Unlike longball53098 (:smile:)the company I used had no problems with me looking closely when they were testing the levels. I have a note of them and check every year to see if any change.

As others have said if they do need topping up then something else probably needs fixing.

The other issue is maybe whether the ac unit is correctly sized for the room.

You shouldn't need to top-up refrigerant (a.k.a., freon) unless there is a small leak.  Gosh, I've got 7 A/Cs in my house...going on 9 years old...none of the have required a top-up.

Now, when an A/C gets dirty its cooling performance can drop off quite a bit...and start eating a lot more kilowatt hours of electricity which means a higher electric bill.  Both the A/C's  inside and outside units need to be cleaned.  Typically a cleaning should run around Bt600...give or take a few hundred baht.

Thanks for all this , when you rent it's hard to get owner to really get best cleaning possible but I will push for it and watch . I take such good care of one of my places that I rent but frustrating that owners may cut corners thinking they will need to pay .

I usually get the gas checked. I look at the gauge when the do it. The magical figure is 75-85% I've been told. My Daikin is 20 years old and puts my new Daikin in the bedroom to shame. New ones use creaky plastic.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

ID: 14   Posted (edited)

In Pattaya the standard cleaning charge (should include inside, outside and the drainage tube) is 400B and up. Mine needs doing every 4-6 months.

I have yet to find anyone who is consistent. One place that charged 600B did not clean the drain pipe properly and it soon clogged up causing a huge water leak onto the floor inside. I got them back and they said that a new larger drain pipe was needed. So that was fitted. The thing clogged up again within a week or so, so I took it apart myself and found that the blockage (algae) was actually in the movable pipe that forms part of the aircon and not in the fixed drain pipe. I cleaned that small flexible pipe myself and have had no trouble since.

The latest people to do my cleaning did a good job for 400B and this included properly flushing out the drain pipe and properly cleaning the outdoor unit which most other companies seem to largely ignore. They also did the flexible pipe. I will get them back again next time.

That said, in the shop when I made the appointment the lady was very clear about the price: 400B all-in but any gas needed would be 20B/kg extra. On the day the guys did the cleaning and then checked the gas pressure. Their meter showed 9 out of a possible 10, though the measurement could have been in pounds, kg, percentages, or zlotys per cubic light-year. They then told me that the extra gas would be 30B per kg. I pointed out that the lady had said 20B, and they indicated that my aircon uses the new gas which costs more. Fair enough. So then I asked how many kg are needed at 30B per kg. And that's where it all stalled. We could get no further than 30B/kg. Even counting out 1, 2 , 3.... or 30, 60, 90... there was no way to get them to say how many kgs were needed and what the total cost would be. In the end they called the shop and the lady said 10kg needed. But if my unit is already at 9/10 (ie indicating at worst a shortfall of 10 percent) there is no way that it can possibly need an extra 10kg as that would put the total required up to 100kg. So did she mean that it only has 9kg and a total of 10kg is needed, so 1kg extra? If so, why not say so? Incomprehension all round. Then the lady said it can wait till next time anyway. So I'm still none the wiser, I still have 9 out of 10 and the air-con works fine.

Edited by KittenKong

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

In Pattaya the standard cleaning charge (should include inside, outside and the drainage tube) is 400B and up. Mine needs doing every 4-6 months.

I have yet to find anyone who is consistent. One place that charged 600B did not clean the drain pipe properly and it soon clogged up causing a huge water leak onto the floor inside. I got them back and they said that a new larger drain pipe was needed. So that was fitted. The thing clogged up again within a week or so, so I took it apart myself and found that the blockage (algae) was actually in the movable pipe that forms part of the aircon and not in the fixed drain pipe. I cleaned that small flexible pipe myself and have had no trouble since.

The latest people to do my cleaning did a good job for 400B and this included properly flushing out the drain pipe and properly cleaning the outdoor unit which most other companies seem to largely ignore. They also did the flexible pipe. I will get them back again next time.

That said, in the shop when I made the appointment the lady was very clear about the price: 400B all-in but any gas needed would be 20B/kg extra. On the day the guys did the cleaning and then checked the gas pressure. Their meter showed 9 out of a possible 10, though the measurement could have been in pounds, kg, percentages, or zlotys per cubic light-year. They then told me that the extra gas would be 30B per kg. I pointed out that the lady had said 20B, and they indicated that my aircon uses the new gas which costs more. Fair enough. So then I asked how many kg are needed at 30B per kg. And that's where it all stalled. We could get no further than 30B/kg. Even counting out 1, 2 , 3.... or 30, 60, 90... there was no way to get them to say how many kgs were needed and what the total cost would be. In the end they called the shop and the lady said 10kg needed. But if my unit is already at 9/10 (ie indicating at worst a shortfall of 10 percent) there is no way that it can possibly need an extra 10kg as that would put the total required up to 100kg. So did she mean that it only has 9kg and a total of 10kg is needed, so 1kg extra? If so, why not say so? Incomprehension all round. Then the lady said it can wait till next time anyway. So I'm still none the wiser, I still have 9 out of 10 and the air-con works fine.

KK if you don't mind who were the latest people as I am still using PK normally but it would be useful to have another number if needed?