webfact

Pattaya - Hua Hin Ferry 50% - 60% full in first month

138 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

So this press release was wrong also ? The China-built Royal 1 ferry with invited guests aboard prepares to leave Pattaya's Bali Hai pier for Hua Hin after its official launch ceremony on Sunday

Yes. It was only in service in China. Go look it all up in previous threads.

Given the number of fatalities that have occurred with passenger vessels  operating from Pattaya over the years I thought it would  have been constructive and re-assuring to  provide factual information that can easily be corroborated by a fair paying passenger rather than the dismissive attitude being shown by yourself and others. In fact that tends to send worrying signals.

Well, go look under the seats in the ferry and find lifejackets. How difficult is that? Sorted. Don't get on an overcrowded ferry where a significant number are standing. Sorted.

Any old "passenger vessel" ain't a ferry, which is the particular vehicle under discussion. Think there was one obviously overcrowded ferry accident in a broken down old tub back in 2013. Your chances of being run down on the street Pattaya are infinitely greater than any chance of drowning you'll encounter on this ferry.

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Given the number of fatalities that have occurred with passenger vessels  operating from Pattaya over the years I thought it would  have been constructive and re-assuring to  provide factual information that can easily be corroborated by a fair paying passenger rather than the dismissive attitude being shown by yourself and others. In fact that tends to send worrying signals.

Apart from you, who else is asking for this "constructive and reassuring information" that you are so generously asking other people to find for you?  Why don't you take a trip to the pier and photograph all the plaques you need and then post them here so that all those Thaivisa members who have indicated their boycott of the service and who haven't asked for it can see that information? 

11 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Perhaps you should just go back to my first post as I asked if anybody was about to be a passenger. Clearly that is not you as your intent appears to be a smoke and mirrors approach to what is a very concerning topic.

"...a very concerning topic."

To whom exactly?  No one but you has brought it up.

4 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

"...a very concerning topic."

To whom exactly?  No one but you has brought it up.

The fact that there have been deaths from ferry capsizes and luckily 85 people were rescued in 2015 by way of an example, then persons safety should be of paramount importance, even in Thailand. The fact that you and others glibly gloss over things suggest to me that either there is something untoward you have desire or financial reason to cover over or else you are totally ignorant of the issue.  I will leave the answer to that question for others to deduce.

FYI, Dover to Calais ferry, 1.5 hrs passenger only fare 30 GBP.   But, with car you can add a family for 49 GBP.  

11 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes.

Let's have the evidence then.

11 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

The fact that there have been deaths from ferry capsizes and luckily 85 people were rescued in 2015 by way of an example, then persons safety should be of paramount importance, even in Thailand. The fact that you and others glibly gloss over things suggest to me that either there is something untoward you have desire or financial reason to cover over or else you are totally ignorant of the issue.  I will leave the answer to that question for others to deduce.

Of course safety should be important but no one apart from you has queried it!

It will be interesting to see what others deduce about me that is "untoward" according to your thinking!  What if I did have a financial interest in the ferry, how would it concern you even if that were the case?

59 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Let's have the evidence then.

Sorry, I really wasn't sure what "no" meant with your reply.

I would actually like a service to succeed. I think more options the better.

I just think the price point is high and people in general are cheap. Some are not, but they are in minority... trust me there.

The Airport link is a perfect example, actually. 

ID: 55   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Sorry, I really wasn't sure what "no" meant with your reply.

I would actually like a service to succeed. I think more options the better.

I just think the price point is high and people in general are cheap. Some are not, but they are in minority... trust me there.

The Airport link is a perfect example, actually. 

No, because the Airport link handles 100,000 passengers daily and is cited as being overcrowded--a case that the fare is too low and should be raised further. Last time I rode it I couldn't find a seat. The ferry operator seems to have taken precautionary measures against having that problem. ;)

Pricing of a new product or service is never easy and based on reasonable projections that may or may not come true. You may rest assured they've considered the pricing carefully, contrary to what our ace barstool economists here may believe in their own interests. If there's no more profit in carrying more passengers at a lower price, then the ferry won't do it. They may try that if they find that the return at this price point isn't optimal. Watch for promotions. Or they may try value-added. Or not. So we'll see how it all plays out in due course.

Edited by JSixpack
1 person likes this

ID: 56   Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, GiantFan said:

FYI, Dover to Calais ferry, 1.5 hrs passenger only fare 30 GBP.   But, with car you can add a family for 49 GBP.  

That's relevant for Pattaya Thailand.

Can you tell us,  what the cost of a bottle of milk is in the uk :stoner:

Edited by onemorechang

36 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

That's relevant for Pattaya Thailand.

Can you tell us,  what the cost of a bottle of milk is in the uk :stoner:

Similar distance, similar price.  I'll let the Poirot's come to their own conclusions.

7 hours ago, gdgbb said:

What I find hard to understand is why some people are saying that the fares are too expensive when, objectively, they are not...the ferry is a success.

early days

It's too early to predict any numbers yet , yes we have a news story about a 50% full ferry and I guess they can survive with that when everyone's paying 2500 baht for a return ticket.

But I do not believe we will see that many now during low season .  How many local Thais will use the service compared to westerners ? 

ID: 60   Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Similar distance, similar price.  I'll let the Poirot's come to their own conclusions.

Similar boats? Similar number of trips per day? Similar passenger volume? What a joke. Nonsensical comparison merely leads to conclusions about the poster. 

Edited by JSixpack