Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
neilscolt

Can my Thai wife apply for schengen visa in the UK

My Thai wife already has a UK family visit visa, for a visit to the UK later this month. We are just exploring the options of visiting Paris, i am aware she would need a schengen visa to do this, must she apply for this in Thailand or is it something we could arrange in the UK.

We did not mention this possible trip in her UK visa application, if we went to France without having mentioned it in the recent application would this effect future UK visa applications? 

35 minutes ago, neilscolt said:

My Thai wife already has a UK family visit visa, for a visit to the UK later this month. We are just exploring the options of visiting Paris, i am aware she would need a schengen visa to do this, must she apply for this in Thailand or is it something we could arrange in the UK

If you are a British, or other EEA national; yes. Although you may have difficulties convincing the French embassy in London! Not all embassies play by the rules.

If you are not an EEA national; probably not; unless you can show a need for urgent travel to France from the UK.

Whichever, if you have the time it may simpler to obtain one in Bangkok before you leave.

38 minutes ago, neilscolt said:

We did not mention this possible trip in her UK visa application, if we went to France without having mentioned it in the recent application would this effect future UK visa applications

Shouldn't do.

If concerned, then simply say that while in the UK you and she decided to take a trip to France.

• Like 1

When I contacted the French embassy they insisted that my wife would need to have a settlement visa. Same with the Spanish.

As far as i know She will need to apply for a schengen visa in Bangkok before she comes over. That's what my wife did  before she came over for a visit. She can apply if she has a UK visit visa.

• Like 2

Even if you managed to get a schengen visa, will her UK visa allow her to return to the uk after the French visit?

36 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

Even if you managed to get a schengen visa, will her UK visa allow her to return to the uk after the French visit?

Unless there is a specific reason to restrict the number of entries, all UK visit visas are multiple entry; so almost certainly yes. Provided, of course, it has not expired.

To check: the visa will either show the number of entries allowed or have the word 'MULT;' which means multiple entries..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

7by7 is spot on. By the book.its perfectly fine to apply from the UK if a Thai national on holiday and UK spouse wish to apply for a free visa (if one does of course meet the few requirements of directive 2004/38).

But as you can see from the other replies, some embassies such as apparently the French and Spanish in the UK do not wish to abide the rules due to either poor knowledge (which one could set straight if the officer is willing) or more worrying reasons. 

So if you do think about getting a visa, its best to do so far in advance and contact the embassy to see if you indeed get a knowledgable and friendly response or a more negative and cold one.

The information provided by Engineer is incorrect, violating EU law, but sadly some embassy staff does claim this to be the case.

Edited by Donutz
  • Like 1

If you do wish to have a discussion with embassy staff you may wish to forward their negative response to the EU:

JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu

As far as the rules go, any properly trained embassy staff should be aware of the Schengen Code on Visa, EU directibe 2004/38. The directive takes presidence over the Schengen Visa Code. 

You may need to.point out the Schengen convention:

-------------

Article 134

The provisions of this Convention shall apply only in so far as they are compatible with Community law.

--------------

The directive 2004/38 is community law. Therefore you as an eligible family member can apply at any embassy in the world if one is covered by the directive. 

Also see:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/961389-schengen-visa/?page=2

------

• Like 1

Once a Schengen visa is given, people can travel freely in all Schengen countries, even if not member of the EU, for ex. Switzerland, as long as the visa is valid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AloisAmrein said:

Once a Schengen visa is given, people can travel freely in all Schengen countries, even if not member of the EU, for ex. Switzerland, as long as the visa is valid.

Indeed; and one does not even have to first enter the Schengen area via the country which issued the visa.

For example, you can obtain a visa from the Dutch and then use it to go directly to Spain.

But be prepared for some questioning by immigration if you do this. If you fail to satisfy them about the reasons for using it to enter a different country without first entering the one which issued it then you could be refused entry.

• Like 1

Regardless of any EU rules the French or Spanish embassy will not issue you a visa if you apply in the UK. I know from experience this is the case unless you have a UK settlement visa. They do not work to these rules. If you want to visit Paris apply for the Schengen visa in Bangkok.

11 minutes ago, English Engineer said:

Regardless of any EU rules the French or Spanish embassy will not issue you a visa if you apply in the UK. I know from experience this is the case unless you have a UK settlement visa. They do not work to these rules. If you want to visit Paris apply for the Schengen visa in Bangkok.

I agree that it is better to organise everything beforehand; and it probably will be easier or more convenient to apply in Bangkok before starting the trip.

But sometimes plans change. For example a British/Thai couple may decide to spend a weekend in Paris whilst in the UK as visitors and so want to apply in the UK. The rules allow this.

It is true that, unfortunately, some embassies, in London, Bangkok, elsewhere do not follow the rules. But unless people complain, nothing will be done to change this.

Did you complain about this blatant breach of the rules by the Spanish and the French?

Of course, post Brexit, unless the UK signs up to the directive in a similar way to Switzerland, none of this will apply to British citizens and their non EEA national family members anymore!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, English Engineer said:

Yes the alternarive is to spend your vacation discussing the rules with the visa centre. Unfortunately life is too short! 

Visa centre? You didn't apply directly to the embassy then?

But I take your point; better things to do while on holiday than spend hours arguing with an official.

But you could still easily have made an official complaint. Maybe still can if it wasn't that long ago.

3 hours ago, Donutz said:

forward their negative response to the EU:

JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu

Wouldn't have helped you at the time; but the more who complain, the more likely it is that the embassies will fall into line and follow the rules. Alternatively; if no one complains, nothing will change.

Moaning about it on an internet forum achieves nothing; making an official complaint just might.