webfact

CNN: Bangkok has the best street food in the world

55 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Only in certain areas.

Well they don't seem to be confining themselves to banning street vendors just from the upmarket areas. Saphan Kwai has been 'Singaporised' too, with many of the street vendors told to p*ss off and big signs put up saying "Thank you for not making a living on this street" or something.

 

How hypocritical can Prayut get, basking in the plaudits for Bangkok's street food while simultaneously doing all he can to eradicate it, and those who produce it? By the time he's finished, Bangkok will just be one endless shopping mall with no colour, no soul and nothing to recommend it. People will stay away in droves because there will be no reason to visit, apart from the odd temple. And he'll probably encase those in glass and charge farang rates to look at them. It will be Milton Keynes on steroids.

 

Another one of those fools who, in the immortal words of Oscar Wilde, knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. A military moron devoid of imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, payttayasquirt said:

 


Well yeah. Your lungs are polluted dude it's in your system. That's doing a thousand times more damage than chicken soup being eaten in the same environment.

Your logic is bizarre.

.. Errrm never mind
 

 

Breathing has filters built in with nose hair, etc.  It still doesn't justify bringing more dirty things into my body from eating. Let me math it out for you.  (Dirty air) < (dirty air + dirty food).  Your logic is weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Thai street food, but now I will think again,if CNN says this. 

Fake news. Fake news. Fake news. and shit presenters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

So because I'm breathing dirty air, i should also eat dirty food instead of going into a restaurant to eat clean food.  Makes sense to me.

Is the restaurant that you will eat in hermetically sealed so that none of the outside air will be able to contaminate your chicken?  Doesn't make sense to me.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nisakiman said:

Well they don't seem to be confining themselves to banning street vendors just from the upmarket areas. Saphan Kwai has been 'Singaporised' too, with many of the street vendors told to p*ss off and big signs put up saying "Thank you for not making a living on this street" or something.

 

How hypocritical can Prayut get, basking in the plaudits for Bangkok's street food while simultaneously doing all he can to eradicate it, and those who produce it? By the time he's finished, Bangkok will just be one endless shopping mall with no colour, no soul and nothing to recommend it. People will stay away in droves because there will be no reason to visit, apart from the odd temple. And he'll probably encase those in glass and charge farang rates to look at them. It will be Milton Keynes on steroids.

 

Another one of those fools who, in the immortal words of Oscar Wilde, knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. A military moron devoid of imagination.

Prayut is not trying to eradicate street food, where did you get that from?  He is trying to make the pavements that were almost impassable due to the presence of traders and food vendors usable for the public by moving the food stalls, and vendors, to more appropriate places.  Do you really think that visitors come in their droves just to sample Bangkok's street food in the areas that have been cleared?  Most average tourists probably wouldn't go anywhere near a street food vendor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

Breathing has filters built in with nose hair, etc.  It still doesn't justify bringing more dirty things into my body from eating. Let me math it out for you.  (Dirty air) < (dirty air + dirty food).  Your logic is weird.

Nose hair doesn't clean dirty air!

You are able to calculate how dirty your food is just by looking at it or do you have some kind of test equipment that you produce everywhere that you eat?

Your logic is even more weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Is the restaurant that you will eat in hermetically sealed so that none of the outside air will be able to contaminate your chicken?  Doesn't make sense to me.

More than a stall next to a busy roadway is protected, yes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Nose hair doesn't clean dirty air!

You are able to calculate how dirty your food is just by looking at it or do you have some kind of test equipment that you produce everywhere that you eat?

Your logic is even more weird.

Now you're really getting desperate.  I said our breathing has filters and gave nose hair as an example. Its not the only filter we have.  you're spinning that into me saying nose hair cleans the air.  That's not what i said.  Now your reading comprehension is starting to match your logic.  Do you have test equipment that says restaurant food is just as contaminated as street food?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also love street food from Thailand and everywhere else. Started the first time I pulled into the Philippines on a US Navy submarine in 1983, and have always loved it since. Pick the vendors that have a line of locals buying from them. I'm my experience/opinion people don't line up to get street food from a stall that is known for food poisoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I occasionally enjoy street food from certain vendors. You do need to have the stomach for it. Most friends that visit me will experience some of the runs. It does take some time.

As far as tourists go, not so sure they care other than a few pics. In fact if they are part of a tour group from the west they are told best to avoid it. Better than risking getting sick on your holiday.


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

More than a stall next to a busy roadway is protected, yes.  

Well if you're happy to think that the air that is outside cannot get into your immaculate restaurant that it all that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

Now you're really getting desperate.  I said our breathing has filters and gave nose hair as an example. Its not the only filter we have.  you're spinning that into me saying nose hair cleans the air.  That's not what i said.  Now your reading comprehension is starting to match your logic.  Do you have test equipment that says restaurant food is just as contaminated as street food?  

No, I don't have that equipment but then I don't need it because it wasn't me that said that street food is dirtier than restaurant food!    Now your reading comprehension is starting to match your logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BANGKOK IS BEST

I have been eating Bangkok Street Food since 1981, and long considered it to be a National Treasure.  The Isan Food in particular is the best in the country.  The service is also superb, they will send out for booze, or anything they don't have, and you get one bill when you've finished eating.  Malaysia is low class, usually you need to pay for each item as it comes, and many  dishes loaded with sugar and grease!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well they don't seem to be confining themselves to banning street vendors just from the upmarket areas. Saphan Kwai has been 'Singaporised' too, with many of the street vendors told to p*ss off and big signs put up saying "Thank you for not making a living on this street" or something.
 
How hypocritical can Prayut get, basking in the plaudits for Bangkok's street food while simultaneously doing all he can to eradicate it, and those who produce it? By the time he's finished, Bangkok will just be one endless shopping mall with no colour, no soul and nothing to recommend it. People will stay away in droves because there will be no reason to visit, apart from the odd temple. And he'll probably encase those in glass and charge farang rates to look at them. It will be Milton Keynes on steroids.
 
Another one of those fools who, in the immortal words of Oscar Wilde, knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. A military moron devoid of imagination.


Nonsense. Tourists do not come to bangkok to slurp chicken soup on a tiny plastic stool!

I'm ecstatic I can walk the sois around my condo on lower Sukhumvit without being forced on the main Rd!

Bye bye foot path thieves, Woo-hoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

Now you're really getting desperate.  I said our breathing has filters and gave nose hair as an example. Its not the only filter we have.  you're spinning that into me saying nose hair cleans the air.  That's not what i said.  Now your reading comprehension is starting to match your logic.  Do you have test equipment that says restaurant food is just as contaminated as street food?  

I am sorry, but you said your breathing has filters and gave nose hair as an example (your example to back up a theory that has no bearing in fact).  Your breathing does not have filters on air born pollution ... it is particulate matter that is smaller and would require rather fine filters to do any good..... and your body does not have filters like that.  Your body might expel some pollutants, and put up with a certain amount of pollution, but we have no magic filters for breathing. Most of the particulate pollution is less than 2.5 micrometers in size (really small).   Stuff that irritates you when walking around like ozone - is not that poisonous or likely to be mixed in with your food.  If it were, you would already be dead.  Remember that most of the cooking takes place on charcoal (mmmmm grilled) and things like that.... you know like an unfiltered tailpipe technology of a century ago.   The most dangerous contaminates are likely to be pesticides that were applied later than they were suppose to and not washed off, or contamination like embalming fluid in fish.... and that will happen in a restaurant as well..... it is bought at the same markets.  I have actually been "poisoned" (food poisoned) more often in western environment than here (I mean serious food poisoning). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 20 July 2017 23:50
Sponsors