webfact

Russian teens out of comas, but fund-raising drive must continue

61 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's actually "off topic" in this thread, but the general disliked part by foreigners is that they normally are expected to be insured, or have funds, so they'll be blamed for the accident and shall pay the damages. We foreigners are used to, and what we consider "fair", that the faulty part is to blame and pay. But even when Thai-Thai, a part with no fault may be asked to pay, if he/she has more funds than the part at fault, as someone need to cover the damages. That was exactly what the police said to Bla, the girl I know, that on motorbike hit a minor kid, slipping away from busy mum and running out in the street front of her; she had no change to avoid an accident and the kid broke an arm. Bla had a well paid job, better than the single mum with two kids, and no cash in bank, or in hand, so she was told by police to pay hospital bills (medicine and equipment are not free), and the damages on her own motorbike, totaling 10k baht. Bla was sad, but that's how it is, she told me.

 

Just two weeks ago a boy in village was driving fast on a motorbike round the corner one night, lost control, tilted and slid into the side of my girlfriend, who was standing still on her bike in the opposite side of the road. The boy was 14; no driver license; dad's motorbike had no tax-slip, so no insurance, as dad couldn't afford it; and the boy was in pain. I was called for and came in my car, and I said let's call emergency, they'll take care of the boy. But no, he did not want, and mum and dad came, and they did not want. Realized because of they did not want the risk of a police report – there was a policeman off duty as witness, and he said to me: »It's not at all your GF's fault, if you need me, just go and ask for ... in the village police-box.« My clever GF however cleared it the Thai-way; we took the boy to hospital; arm broken 3 places; I paid nearly 2k baht for his medicine and armrest; my GF offered to pay their motorbike damages, which was not that much, and when brought to repair-shop next day, it could be fixed for hardly 3k baht. We both know from experience, that it's much less hassle to clear a problem with, what for us is small money, than getting into any arguments – however in this case no problem, as the boy admitted he was driving too fast, and the parents said he was a naught boy – so the unlucky boy, luckily hit my GF, and then she was a part in the accident, and should help. My GF had pain in her leg – the boy slid into her – and amazing colors on it the following days; if in a Western country, my GF should, then have claimed compensation...

It may be off topic but you brought it up! 

 

Both those "examples" are situations where an unofficial way of sorting the problem out was taken, if you took the proper route of involving your insurance company the result would have been different.  The conclusion from your examples is not that "who can pay, pays", it is that if you don't do it the right way you've got no one to blame but yourself.

 

I was involved in an accident on the Chonburi/Bangkok motorway when an uninsured local smashed into the back of my car at speed when the traffic ahead of me was forced to some to a halt in an emergency because his brakes couldn't stop him in time.  The police wanted me to let him go because he had no insurance and they knew that I did.  They wanted me to claim for a hit and run on my insurance.  Just by ignoring the police request and calling my insurers I was able to avoid any discussions or negotiations that you described in your examples, i.e. "who can pay, pays definitely does not apply.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

It may be off topic but you brought it up! 

 

Both those "examples" are situations where an unofficial way of sorting the problem out was taken, if you took the proper route of involving your insurance company the result would have been different.  The conclusion from your examples is not that "who can pay, pays", it is that if you don't do it the right way you've got no one to blame but yourself.

 

I was involved in an accident on the Chonburi/Bangkok motorway when an uninsured local smashed into the back of my car at speed when the traffic ahead of me was forced to some to a halt in an emergency because his brakes couldn't stop him in time.  The police wanted me to let him go because he had no insurance and they knew that I did.  They wanted me to claim for a hit and run on my insurance.  Just by ignoring the police request and calling my insurers I was able to avoid any discussions or negotiations that you described in your examples, i.e. "who can pay, pays definitely does not apply.

 

 

Thanks for your reply. I brought it up only, because I was asked to in the discussion about insurance. However a moderator asked, not to post about own accidents here – the tread is about the sad accident with two teens – so I think such subjects shall belong in a separate thread, where I gladly will answer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply. I brought it up only, because I was asked to in the discussion about insurance. However a moderator asked, not to post about own accidents here – the tread is about the sad accident with two teens – so I think such subjects shall belong in a separate thread, where I gladly will answer...

"However a moderator asked, not to post about own accidents here..."

 

So you did regardless, anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bullie said:

I think it is extremely irresponsible of the Russian family not to have  proper travel insurance, especially traveling to a third world country.

Letting your children of 15 and 16 ride a motorcycle in the 2nd most dangerous country in the world traffic wise borders on criminal intent, driving licence or not.

It is a terrible situation the family is in, but it is largely of their own making, I'm sorry to say.

I have 38 years of big bike experience, and I still get cought off guard in the traffic here regularly, let alone children completely unaccustomed  to the local traffic.

Not much point in trying to squeeze money out of a dirt poor bus driver.

' but it is largely of their own making '     What sort of a statement is this ....  !

 

so it's the families fault that the guy ran a red light and ploughed into them.  ??

 

strange way to think ....   that seems like thai thinking to me ..:crazy:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gdgbb said:

"...their insurance company will find as many excusses not to pay."

It didn't make any excuses, the report makes it clear that the insurance company paid out for both children.

 

"...they will have perminent body damage for the rest of their lives.'

Where did you get that information from?

You can tell by looking at the boy, clenched fists is a clear indication of brain damage. Even seen anybody knocked unconscious, the first indication is clenched fists. Remember this was a while ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gdgbb said:

The boy had a licence the original report said.  If no one was allowed to drive without experience there would never be a single driver anywhere; where would they have got their experience without driving?

Thai children get their experience from when they are 8 years old, riding old motocy's around the village. They also form a large proportion of the 22.000 deadly motocycle accident deaths. I know the boy had recently gotten his licence, but to let him loose in the worst city traffic wise in the 2nd most dangerous country without experience does not really plead for their parents, now does it?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2017 at 8:52 AM, Bullie said:

I think it is extremely irresponsible of the Russian family not to have  proper travel insurance, especially traveling to a third world country.

Letting your children of 15 and 16 ride a motorcycle in the 2nd most dangerous country in the world traffic wise borders on criminal intent, driving licence or not.

It is a terrible situation the family is in, but it is largely of their own making, I'm sorry to say.

I have 38 years of big bike experience, and I still get cought off guard in the traffic here regularly, let alone children completely unaccustomed  to the local traffic.

Not much point in trying to squeeze money out of a dirt poor bus driver.

I think your missing the point , no one is about trying to squeeze money out of the poor Thai bus driver but did you see the accident video ? He was driving like a madman and ran the red light he should face charges. The bus company should also pay for some of the bills. Secondly the boy had a liscense they wore helmuts and they are not tourists who need travel insurance they live here and they were driving correctly the bus driver gunned his bus thru the red light.  Bottom line stop trying to blame them for the accident and I ask all TV posters to contribute whatever they caan to help these kids who are very lucky to still be alive and are in bad shape. I already have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And if the insurance company doesn't pay it all,  the bus company, whose grubby little employee, ploughed them down, should.

Does anyone have the name of the bus company?

They should be named, shamed and boycotted across Facebook, Trip adviser, everywhere.

Your post is inappropriate to Thailand. You have misunderstood that in Thailand insurance is limited.

 

This means once you reach the maximum payout, the injured party must sue the other driver (in this case, the unnamed bus company) for any excess.

 

You have incorrectly applied concepts from the West.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 60   Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Bullie said:

Thai children get their experience from when they are 8 years old, riding old motocy's around the village. They also form a large proportion of the 22.000 deadly motocycle accident deaths. I know the boy had recently gotten his licence, but to let him loose in the worst city traffic wise in the 2nd most dangerous country without experience does not really plead for their parents, now does it?

My main point was that the boy did have a licence which had been claimed he did not have.

 

I understand what you are saying regarding the lack of experience but there is a possibility, albeit very slight, that he also has experience from when he was 8 years old.   Where can someone get experience if not in the area that they live?   Many thousands of young people get that experience locally without being involved in accidents and getting experience of anything that we want to do is, unfortunately, just one of the hazards of life that we all have to contend with.

Edited by gdgbb
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gdgbb said:

"However a moderator asked, not to post about own accidents here..."

 

So you did regardless, anyway!

No, before – if you check the thread...:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 30 April 2017 12:03
Sponsors