Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

I'm American and only hold a US passport and just last month I was able to apply for and get approved for my 6 month METV while in Auckland, New Zealand (when I was visiting there as a tourist). I emailed the consulate in Auckland in advance to ask if I could apply and got confirmation I could. You must apply in person. Although I was told it could take 3-4 working days to process the application, my visa was approved the following business day and was ready for pick up. Application requirements were the same as if I were to have applied at my NYC consulate. I provided my US bank statement as proof of income (you must show that you have the equivalent of $9,000 NZD/per person of $18,000/per family), a printout of my confirmed flight to Thailand e-ticket, my passport, a passport sized photo, and paid the $250 NZD application fee in cash (paid in NZD currency). $250 NZD is about $185 USD, so the visa fee came out to a bit less than than the fee when applying in the US. And I had no problems using the visa...I'm in Thailand now!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CynthiaL said:

I'm American and only hold a US passport and just last month I was able to apply for and get approved for my 6 month METV while in Auckland, New Zealand (when I was visiting there as a tourist). I emailed the consulate in Auckland in advance to ask if I could apply and got confirmation I could. You must apply in person. Although I was told it could take 3-4 working days to process the application, my visa was approved the following business day and was ready for pick up. Application requirements were the same as if I were to have applied at my NYC consulate. I provided my US bank statement as proof of income (you must show that you have the equivalent of $9,000 NZD/per person of $18,000/per family), a printout of my confirmed flight to Thailand e-ticket, my passport, a passport sized photo, and paid the $250 NZD application fee in cash (paid in NZD currency). $250 NZD is about $185 USD, so the visa fee came out to a bit less than than the fee when applying in the US. And I had no problems using the visa...I'm in Thailand now!

It seems the embassy in New Zealand is the same as in Australia, USA and Canada. They also only require you to show that you have a visa or visa waiver in the country.

Most other locations clearly state you must be a resident or citizen to apply.