Thailand Forum
Scott

SURVEY: Should clothing with religious symbolism be outlawed?

SURVEY: Should items of clothing with religious symbolism be outlawed?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Should items of clothing with religious symbolism be outlawed?

• Yes, all clothing with religious symbolism should be outlawed in public.
    • No, they should be permitted in public.
    • There should be restrictions on wearing clothing with religious symbolism in the work place.

sirineou    4,262
7 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Including atheism...

LOL

if religions are outlawed and non religion is outlawed , then everyone on earth would be outlawed. 

• Like 1

sirineou    4,262
Posted (edited)

Including atheism...

TVF going crazy again (multiple submission)

Edited by sirineou

sirineou    4,262
Posted (edited)

Including atheism...

TVF continues to go crazy

LOL (Sbmited my post three times)

Edited by sirineou

sead    342

Well if you count hijab and other Islam clothing on their women as that then yes. But Islam actually doesn't have any symbols or tattoos etc. So it would only be a ban against all except Muslims. And the halfmoon, green colour etc is not a Islam thing, The only Religion that is against other beliefs is Islam. I can write more so you understand easier but I'll wait for some stupid comments untill I educate you further:p

7by7    6,387
4 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

I do not believe "Religious" garb should be banned but the wearers of the Niqab and Burka should be required, by law, to remove the face covering any where that it is necessary for the wearer to be identified.  That is banks, courts, police checks, police stations, airports etc., or anywhere any other type of face covering is banned.  Those bans are in place for a reason, that is for the specific purpose of identifying the wearer, nothing more, nothing less.  Other than that, wear what you like, who really gives a toss. :wai:

In the UK anyone wearing a face covering of any kind is obliged to remove it for official identification purposes, such as passing through immigration, giving evidence in a court of law; even before taking a driving test!

It is up to individual banks and other commercial entities what their policy is.

The same for whatever dress code employers or schools wish to have. As long as they are not discriminatory and apply equally to all. MPs back temp worker’s campaign to end ‘sexist’ high heel policy and Worker wins case over wearing tie

But other than those situations, what someone chooses to wear is their own affair. Whether that choice is motivated by religion, fashion, allegiance to a particular youth cult or football team, or anything else.

7by7    6,387
8 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

The full hijab is a symbol of female oppression. PS.  I am a man.

Do you mean hijab, burka, niqab chador or khimar? They are different.

Image result for difference between hijab burqa and niqab

Most Muslim women outside the Middle East who wear any religious clothing at all wear the Hijab.

What about other religions?

Image result for orthodox jewish women dress code

Some ultra orthodox Jewish women go further and wear burqas or niqabs; though they probably call them by Hebrew names rather than Arabic ones!

Of course, female dress codes are not exclusive to Islam or Judaism. Neither are male ones, come to that.

212Roger    191

NO!  The more laws we have the less freedom we also have.  We have enough laws already; let's take a timeout on making new laws...

oldhippy    1,329

In their private life people can do as they wish.

And I can associate with them or not, as I wish.

But if I go to a government office, I do not want to deal with a person that makes it clear to be jewish, muslim, red shirt, yellow shirt, gay, hetero, anarchist (like me.....), trumpist,  or whatever. That would give me the feeling that this person treats people differently according to their convictions.

At the private work place it is up to the employer, who will consider the effects on his customers.

oldhippy    1,329
43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Do those cross necklaces count as clothing?

No, but they are symbols.

Once again, a clumsily worded survey question.

• Like 1

7by7    6,387
44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Do those cross necklaces count as clothing?

The ECJ ruling which prompted this poll didn't ban religious clothing or symbols at work. What the ruling actually says is that employers are not breaking any anti discrimination laws if they impose a ban on visible religious or political symbols, clothing or otherwise, on all their employees; regardless of the employees religion or politics and the symbol concerned.

Muslim groups have protested the ruling; as have other religious groups: from The Independent

European rabbis said the court had worsened rising hate crime by sending a message that “faith communities are no longer welcome”.

The president of the Conference of European Rabbis, Chief Rabbi Pinchas Goldschmidt, said: “This decision sends a signal to all religious groups in Europe.” 

The United Sikhs advocacy group said the “disturbing” ruling allowed employers to override fundamental human rights.

From The Telegraph: Church of England attacks 'troubling' European court ruling which says employers can ban workers from wearing Christian crosses

• Like 1