Thailand

Renting to Chinese?- A heads Up

38 posts in this topic

Huge influx of Chinese in to ChiangMai, many of whom are putting their kids in to school here and for other reasons. They are renting property that at first sight seem to be too big for the family then it turns out they are sub letting rooms via the likes of AirBNB and in particular lesser known Chinese companies operating in the same way.

This information is first hand and confirmed from a number of Chinese friends here that are familiar with what is going on, and apparently it is very prevalent. Of course operating illegally but more to the point putting the house/property owner at risk, in a number of ways.

This is not an anti Chinese thread (many friends and relatives),simply they appear to be the main culprits at this moment in time.

If you are a landlord then just be aware.

Years ago, when I first moved to China I met several locals returning from owning failed hotel businesses in the USA.  Seems it's customary for expat Chinese to offer free lodging to family, friends and former neighbors from their villages.  They had so many freeloaders that they had to sell their hotels because they weren't able to make any money.

But, as in a lot of things related to the exchange of money, they're fast learners.

Thanks for the heads up all

Troll post reported and removed.  

1 person likes this

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

They also rent rooms and share the keys with others.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy
1 person likes this

A troll post has been removed

1 person likes this

What is wrong with sub letting etc etc???

most   landlords,  are so hard up here,  in C/mai,  largely due to a massive over supply ,    the savvy  ones,  could ,nt give a fluff about subletting etc etc that goes on , its all about having your peice of the action, rented out  365 days a year, otherwise your R.O.I. plummetts  to ????

its what u don,t see,,will never hurt you,  good afternoon to all

They are by definition, operating illegal hotels.  It is not fairy to those, who have gone to great expense to be above board and pay their employees accordingly.  Illegal landlords are also cheating on the taxes they owe...Everyone does it, is never a good excuse to break the law.

9 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

They are by definition, operating illegal hotels.  It is not fairy to those, who have gone to great expense to be above board and pay their employees accordingly.  Illegal landlords are also cheating on the taxes they owe...Everyone does it, is never a good excuse to break the law.

Exactly,and I guess that sadly,  it comes as no surprise that on a TV thread providing information and is so short there have been 2 troll posts removed and one advocating breaking the law.  1507623.GIF

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

What is wrong with sub letting etc etc???

most   landlords,  are so hard up here,  in C/mai,  largely due to a massive over supply ,    the savvy  ones,  could ,nt give a fluff about subletting etc etc that goes on , its all about having your peice of the action, rented out  365 days a year, otherwise your R.O.I. plummetts  to ????

its what u don,t see,,will never hurt you,  good afternoon to all

It is not subletting.... it's being rented on AirBnB.

If I was the owner, I would rather have my room sit empty and have a horde of unknown people trash my room.

As a matter of fact, I would sue.

Similar event at Karnkanok six months ago, I thought I had seen a report in TV as well.

31 minutes ago, mamborobert said:

Similar event at Karnkanok six months ago, I thought I had seen a report in TV as well.

I was talking with some realtors recently, and they absolutely refuse to do business with Chinese nationals.

It is sad that a particular group has been singled out but people's perceptions are based on their experience. I guess the experience with Chinese nationals has not been that good - ranging from cleanliness to outright cheating as mentioned above.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

As a matter of fact, I would sue.

In CM or China?