Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Reversing driver thought he had gone over a rock - but he was wrong

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Somsan told police he had driven to get something for his cows to eat and placed the vegetation on the boot of his car. He was reversing and couldn't see properly so he was just using his mirrors.

Maybe the use of mirrors is a rarely used option to using the rear window. But I understand that it would take a great deal of effort to get out of the car to make sure the way is completely clear of any obstructions. As long as it is understood that a price can be put on a life it will continue. Good that he did not do a runner.
Another sad, yet preventable fatality. RIP to the poor unfortunate visiting woman.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

Look at the picture.......... the point of impact was before where the body is now. You will see a circle of blood where she was hit and then dragged forward to where the body is now.

It seems she was hit in full view of the driver.

Am I overthinking this???

Yes, you probably are.  The 2nd picture in the link shows shadows and darker patches on the ground, not necessarily a pool of blood, definitely not an obvious point of impact and no dragging evidence is really any more obvious than what could just be tyre marks in the soft ground on the left.

Unless the rescue personnel and police are concentrating their efforts on the victims feet, then she is lying on the ground with her head (which is what took the impact, apparently) near the traffic, not near the marks in the soft ground.

• Like 1

I would think you would stop when you heard the thud and not keep driving over the "rock".  He's really stupid or was going really fast or both.  What a crappy way to die.

• Like 2

Like those stupid females who cover their dash with piles of cuddly toys, just leaving a small porthole to look out of.

Why was this guy reversing at high speed along the hard shoulder, an area intended for 2 wheeled traffic anyway?

Yes very sad. Reversing is so dangerous, but I see so many doing it including trucks and busses where they could easily just drive forward safely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlphaSoiDog said:

While I have no idea on this sequence of events I will throw in that it's not always all the fault of the (possibly) clueless completely untrained egotistical and self centred driver (add in any others you like :).

I've been shocked a number of times by Thai and Western pedestrians alike that have walked a few inches in front of my scooter wheel while I am obviously looking to the right looking for a break in heavy traffic to launch into. Could they have walked behind me? Of course, but that would have required walking an additional metre and would not have caused additional issues for the oncoming traffic.

My guess is that Thai's think I have extra eyes instead of ears and that I should "be polite". And that the westerners think all of Chiang Mai is a "walking street" for their convenience, giving them "right of way". I have no guess about the Chinese...

Could some version of this behaviour contributed to this death? Maybe, maybe not. I just wanted to rant....

.....Maybe, maybe not....???

What unusual language here, rarely seen and likely unrecognizable for many TVers!

To be understood, try "Me smart, no errors. Others (non-farangs) dumb as bricks"

As for westerners thinking all is a "walking street" and their "right of way".....I'd guess a few here are indignant with your suggestion that seems to suggest there's something wrong with that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Yes, you probably are.  The 2nd picture in the link shows shadows and darker patches on the ground, not necessarily a pool of blood, definitely not an obvious point of impact and no dragging evidence is really any more obvious than what could just be tyre marks in the soft ground on the left.

Unless the rescue personnel and police are concentrating their efforts on the victims feet, then she is lying on the ground with her head (which is what took the impact, apparently) near the traffic, not near the marks in the soft ground.

Reverse angle from the linked article:

tnews_1489911006_3291.jpg.c73b922cfd73726205f93791b8ae27c6.jpg

"so he was just using his mirrors". A Thai driver using mirrors???????

5 hours ago, JAG said:

I suppose at least he didn't "flee the scene".

Of course not, he wouldn't want his cows to starve.

• Like 1