webfact

Reversing driver thought he had gone over a rock - but he was wrong

44 posts in this topic

Like those stupid females who cover their dash with piles of cuddly toys, just leaving a small porthole to look out of.

Why was this guy reversing at high speed along the hard shoulder, an area intended for 2 wheeled traffic anyway?

Yes very sad. Reversing is so dangerous, but I see so many doing it including trucks and busses where they could easily just drive forward safely.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, AlphaSoiDog said:

While I have no idea on this sequence of events I will throw in that it's not always all the fault of the (possibly) clueless completely untrained egotistical and self centred driver (add in any others you like :).

I've been shocked a number of times by Thai and Western pedestrians alike that have walked a few inches in front of my scooter wheel while I am obviously looking to the right looking for a break in heavy traffic to launch into. Could they have walked behind me? Of course, but that would have required walking an additional metre and would not have caused additional issues for the oncoming traffic.

My guess is that Thai's think I have extra eyes instead of ears and that I should "be polite". And that the westerners think all of Chiang Mai is a "walking street" for their convenience, giving them "right of way". I have no guess about the Chinese...

Could some version of this behaviour contributed to this death? Maybe, maybe not. I just wanted to rant....

.....Maybe, maybe not....???

What unusual language here, rarely seen and likely unrecognizable for many TVers!

To be understood, try "Me smart, no errors. Others (non-farangs) dumb as bricks"

As for westerners thinking all is a "walking street" and their "right of way".....I'd guess a few here are indignant with your suggestion that seems to suggest there's something wrong with that?

2 people like this

Another sad story from another stupid person doing something with their car.

2 people like this

Very sad,the lack of common sense or logic from the driver beggars belief.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Yes, you probably are.  The 2nd picture in the link shows shadows and darker patches on the ground, not necessarily a pool of blood, definitely not an obvious point of impact and no dragging evidence is really any more obvious than what could just be tyre marks in the soft ground on the left.

Unless the rescue personnel and police are concentrating their efforts on the victims feet, then she is lying on the ground with her head (which is what took the impact, apparently) near the traffic, not near the marks in the soft ground.

Reverse angle from the linked article:

tnews_1489911006_3291.jpg.c73b922cfd73726205f93791b8ae27c6.jpg

"so he was just using his mirrors". A Thai driver using mirrors???????

5 hours ago, JAG said:

I suppose at least he didn't "flee the scene".

Of course not, he wouldn't want his cows to starve.

1 person likes this

A Thai driver using his mirrors... Plssssssss !!

Its not the car that killed this lady, its that cow dung brain of the driver!

22 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Very unfortunate indeed... but what was the pedestrian doing?

engrossed in her iPhone and not watching for dangers, that are ever present on the road?

a couple of days ago, I parked on the road shoulder, and some idiot crossed the road, and parked nose to nose to my vehicle.... illegally... I was a bit preoccupied with this fools behavior, and failed to notice that a scooter had come up and parked close in to my boot.

in leaving, I had to reverse... none of my mirrors showed the bike (I was driving a CRV), and on reversing, I hit the bike, before realizing my reverse sensor had pinged.

yes... I hit the bike... but how silly to park so close to another vehicle.... and how silly to cross the road and park nose to nose with another vehicle... luckily, I wasn't reversing at warp speed, and didn't even knock the bike over (or damage it... or CRV)

remarkable is the  lack of common sense and courtesy on Thai roads, by all users.... actually, and more correctly, when you do see courtesy and common sense, it's remarkable.

I dare say you might have a point if someone runs from nowhere and lies behind your vehicle.

But in some respects this does rather show you up in a bad light.  I used to curse the drivers who seemed to take an age reversing.  I now see why they do it.  You really have to drive as if everyone else on the road or near it is a small child.  Goes with the territory.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Reverse angle from the linked article:

tnews_1489911006_3291.jpg.c73b922cfd73726205f93791b8ae27c6.jpg

A different photo, yes, so....?

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I dare say you might have a point if someone runs from nowhere and lies behind your vehicle.

But in some respects this does rather show you up in a bad light.  I used to curse the drivers who seemed to take an age reversing.  I now see why they do it.  You really have to drive as if everyone else on the road or near it is a small child.  Goes with the territory.

Lol... your right...  it does.

but the point being is that others are often contributory to accidents through their own stupid or negligent behavior, or by doing the unexpected.

the only way to effectively predict what others will do, is if others conform to a "norm".... when they do not (admittedly, is Thailand, this is common), then all bets are off.

1 person likes this

Side Mirrors are to be used when u cant see use the rear vision Mirror  Side Mirrors what are they ask the thais drivers? Oh thats right you use them to do your face up and see if you look good . Another situation where they have no clue about driving and people die from it But at least he stayed at scene i guess 400 baht fine go home son and see if you can drive better tomorrow

A coincidence, had a taxi reverse back at me only recently, he wasn't even looking behind..

This guy obviously thought it unnecessary.

Is the car pictured the  actual vehicle as it does not look like an 'old white Mitsubishi car ' , more like a tarted up boy racer car. Sad for the innocent woman and family due to the stupidity of one.

1 person likes this

A coincidence, had a taxi reverse back at me only recently, he wasn't even looking behind..
This guy obviously thought it unnecessary.

Is the car pictured the  actual vehicle as it does not look like an 'old white Mitsubishi car ' , more like a tarted up boy racer car. Sad for the innocent woman and family due to the stupidity of one.

So true,without the fodder in the trunk ,it's a Pound to Pinch of Pelican Shit the back windows that tinted he can't see FA anyway.🦍

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Another example in this case and the comments about the hierarchy of importance in Thailand. Pedestrians and the disabled are least important followed by cyclists, motorcyclists, cars then trucks and buses in size order, bigger is better. Money is spent on roads not pavements, as only poor pedestrians use them, not hi so drivers, unless they are mowing said pedestrians down. Safety is not important as it costs money. I am the only person at my son's school to strap him in a seat belt with a booster, and before that, a child safety seat. But the other parents all have nice new cars where they let the kids stand between the seats. Rant over until next time.

1 person likes this