Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Thaivisa Web Content Team

This is why Coke and Pepsi taste so different - and it's down to one simple thing

Wanna hear about my SAS stories?

Yep

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Glad I am not the only health enthusiast here!    Both of these food products are toxic beyond imagination, and, I believe, are more dangerous than almost any foods I know of simply because of their overwhelming and very dangerous sugar content.    Last time I imbibed either of these was over 30 years ago when I did my own taste test.   I realized then the nasty nature of these two demons threatening the health of many but more importantly the young ones who lack discernment at an early age.   I think these should be pronounced as lethal and be re-classified as dangerous drugs reeking havoc on our global society and make possession illegal.

I drink both from time to time but not a big fan. My wife is a cola expert. She always went for Pepsi when you got it in the glass bottles. She moved onto Coke in glass bottles when pepsi dissapeared and she wont entertain est. Thais are mad for sweet soft drinks while I tend to stick to Leo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In California, you can get Coke from Mexico with real sugar, instead of high fructose corn syrup. I know a lot of people who swear by it, but I still prefer diet drinks to traditional soft drinks. The real sugar ones do bring back memories, but too many calories for not a lot of difference in taste. However, they are saying that diet drinks might be as bad as the others for your health. I am still hoping it is not true.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

In California, you can get Coke from Mexico with real sugar, instead of high fructose corn syrup. I know a lot of people who swear by it, but I still prefer diet drinks to traditional soft drinks. The real sugar ones do bring back memories, but too many calories for not a lot of difference in taste. However, they are saying that diet drinks might be as bad as the others for your health. I am still hoping it is not true.

You won't be able to get it for much longer. Throwing it over the wall will make the bottles smash and the cans will burst...

On 3/22/2017 at 9:29 PM, JAG said:

They do say water is the best for you - although personally I avoid the stuff, my brother keeps fish and I've seen what they do in it!

There's probably no fish in your toilet. Problem solved! :vampire:

Posted (edited)

Six or seven years ago, Pepsi was a hot issue here in Thailand, and on Thai Visa...There were many threads about it, but they have probably aged out by now..

The local Pepsi bottler had a major dispute with Pepsi regarding the cost of the syrup and in short order,  dumped Pepsi and started bottling their own new EST brand of cola.  Pepsi disappeared from stores and restaurants here for close to six months before a new bottler was up and running.

What upset expats the most was the disappearance of the single serving bottles that Pepsi always came in in most restaurants and bars.  I guess the old bottles were owned by the original bottler and they were probably pulverized and recycled.  They never came back, replaced by plastic.

For a year thereafter, a hot and contentious topic here on TV was whether or not the old Pepsi was better than the new Pepsi.

The whole thing really cost Pepsi in the long run.  Before the changeover, Pepsi had a significantly larger market share in Thailand than Coke.  Coke took advantage of the lapse, did a lot of promotion and have dominated the market here since. 

Edited by dddave

On 21/03/2017 at 3:14 PM, csabo said:

In a similar test, expert wine tasters could not tell the difference between red or white wine when the white wine was tinted red.  It's all bs my friend.  All of it.

Err, that is mythology. And you know nothing about wine or you would not post this. There are so many wine variants, but dry reds which are popular to red drinkers are so laden with tannins that the sweet white wines are so completely different. And dry whites are no different, they may last a few years in the bottle but none can remotely compare to a 20 year old dry red. Just bs mythology.

• Like 1

As for fizzy drinks. How anyone can drink Pepsi or coke is beyond me. Sugar, sodium laden unhealthy fizz. No wonder that so many US citizens are obese. 

Water for hydration strong black coffe for stimulation.....and whole fruit instead of juices. I've kept a decent and constant weight for years with this. I take one sip of Coke of Pepsi and am instantly sickened by the amount of sugar in them. Thais are getting fatter and soft drinks are playing a big part of it all. Keep away from them. 

• Like 1

Neither. This is the leading cause of obesity. It's basically a can of junk.

IMO, we should ban the advertisement of sugary drinks to children.