Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

On 5/12/2017 at 0:12 PM, gandalf12 said:

I did it April last year. Not the same as when the Embassy did them but was not a problem

Yes, That was a LOT Easier !!

47 minutes ago, evadgib said:

My point was that resident applicants subject to 90 day reporting should be able to rely on their Thai DLs and photocopies of their passports for the duration of the renewal process instead of the thousand mile round trip to bkk. A two minute Skype/Wattsapp interview between HMPO in UK and applicants worldwide costs nothing and is entirely within HMGs grasp if necessary, including for proof of life pension ID verification periodically required by DWP/HMRC.

How easy would that be and why isn't it happening?

Perhaps Because THAT is too Easy.......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Trackable mail DOES come into it. Once again you are grossly misinformed. HMPO uses DHL to return your passport to the VFS office in Bangkok, and DHL inform you when your passport is in their trackable system. I received the first communication from DHL on April 9 after my April 3 submission of application. You can follow every stage of the delivery process through their website. Mine went from London, to East Midlands, to Leipzig, to Bangkok, to the local distribution centre, to delivery. The process from application to landing in Bangkok  took 9 days. It arrived in Bangkok on April 12 and for obvious reasons was not delivered to Trendy until April 18. Later on that day I received an email backed up with a phone call telling me that my passport was ready for collection. On receipt I found out that my passport had actually been issued on April 7. By any standards that is a very efficient process.

You really need to stop spreading false information.

And..............I have had no problems with immigration in the past so your assertion is incorrect. It may be that in the past you were able to present both passports at the border so they could see you had a valid visa. That is no longer the case. That is what I meant about rule changes. 

The reason why they would not commit to an answer at the Trendy building is because they did not know. If you passport was still acceptable for travel after you applied for a new one then they would tell you so and the gov.uk website would also state that it was acceptable to use your old passport for cross-border travel. You seem to know better but ehn you knew better when you argued vehemently that you had to apply on line in order to get a new British passport. You also said that anyone who told you that you had to go to Bangkok to get a new passport was wrong. On those points you argued with several people, not just me. You can not put the genie back in the bottle so an apology did little to enhance your credibility. 

Oh god, you are so ……, trackable mail sent by someone else to a different address than yours clearly does not come into what has been discussed in the posts so far, because it’s not relevant here, you still have to pick-up your passport from Trendy.

Of course if you apply from outside the UK from countries that don’t have a Trendy type service, (most) you can still apply for your passport on-line and you must send back your old passport (if you have any sense by trackable mail, but it’s not compulsory, you can send it any way you want) and they will return your old and new passports by trackable mail.

Clearly in these counties you can’t travel cross-border whilst you are not in possession of your passport and HMG state “You must consider the consequences of cancelling your current passport in your existing name and not having a valid document for a time”. Clearly this implies that in the case of Thailand and other Trendy countries, whilst waiting for your new passport back from Trendy your old passport still has validity, because it’s not physically cancelled until Trendy cut-the corner off.

From the content of your posts twittering on about “consequences” you actually implied that there are Thai immigration rule changes that might affect a person using an old (but un-cancelled passport) for cross border travel whilst waiting for the new one. But this is not the case, the only changes are that they have changed the method of issuing British passports from Thailand two times in the last few years, nothing whatsoever to do with Thai immigration.

You still can't understand simple logic. Other people have clearly stated that passports have been used for cross border travel whilst waiting for a new one, so it must be possible to do what I have been theorizing about.

You can renew your passport at any time. When you renew your passport, time left on your existing passport is added to your new one, up to a maximum of 9 months, so in a case like mine for instance, I still have 5 years validity left on my old passport, but nearly all the pages are full, so I can’t use it to go to say India where they put in a visa that takes up a whole page. But others may have different reasons for renewing and their old (but still valid) passport could be used to go in and out of Thailand as other posters have claimed has been done.

Also YOU must stop spreading false information, you stated “It may be that in the past you were able to present both passports at the border so they could see you had a valid visa. That is no longer the case. That is what I meant about rule changes”. 

But HMG still state “Send your previous passport with the visa attached to it with your application. Your previous passport will be returned to you….You’ll be able to use the visa if you carry both passports”.

Don’t apologize for your crass mistake; we would not want the unedifying spectacle of you trying to put the genie back into the bottle.

3 hours ago, MiKT said:

But HMG still state “Send your previous passport with the visa attached to it with your application. Your previous passport will be returned to you….You’ll be able to use the visa if you carry both passports”.

HMG is presumably 'Her Majesty's Government' which has no jurisdiction whatsoever over the whims and regulations governing immigration in Thailand. You can argue all you want at the border about what Her Majesty's Government says but when faced with 'real time on the ground' information from an immigration officer you have no choice but to comply. 

You may be able to "to use the visa if you carry both passports” but if you have a multi-entry visa then this visa must be transferred to the new passport before you attempt to cross a border out of Thailand. You can not,  therefore, use two passports. Suddenly you have become an expert when not two months ago you were demonstrably incorrect in just about everything you claimed. 

Sorry my friend but it is you who is misinformed. I agree that you do not go to the embassy for passport renewal. You now have to go to  another office which deals with passport applications and visas which is located at:

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua,
Wattana,
Bangkok
Thailand

Once inside the Visa / Passport office on the 28th floor there is a photo booth, online access via computers with printers, black & white and colour photocopiers and forms can be translated on the ground floor.

Book an appointment and even if some of your paperwork is wrong they will let you go and get it corrected and return again without having to make a new appointment. I was told that my passport could take up to six weeks to be processed in the U.K. (depending on how busy they are) but my passport was back in 11 days.

Staff could not have been more helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

I give up. You lot are splitting more 'heirs' than the Tower & can frankly get on with it!

Why bother opening a thread if yer can't see the wood for the trees?

1 hour ago, sjbrownderby said:

HMG is presumably 'Her Majesty's Government' which has no jurisdiction whatsoever over the whims and regulations governing immigration in Thailand. You can argue all you want at the border about what Her Majesty's Government says but when faced with 'real time on the ground' information from an immigration officer you have no choice but to comply. 

You may be able to "to use the visa if you carry both passports” but if you have a multi-entry visa then this visa must be transferred to the new passport before you attempt to cross a border out of Thailand. You can not,  therefore, use two passports. Suddenly you have become an expert when not two months ago you were demonstrably incorrect in just about everything you claimed. 

It seems more likely that HMG's statement actually carries more weight than your uniformed opinions, because you still have such difficulty assimilating anything that does not accord with your erroneously fixed ideas.

For instance, somebody coming into Thailand with two passports (one with a valid Thai visa) will be let in and can go out again; after all thousands of tourists and business people arrive with two passports (the old one with a valid Thai visa) all the time. It does not only apply to UK passport holders.

It actually works the other way round as well, somebody with an older Thai passport with a UK visa has to carry both old and new passports when they go to the UK and the UK authorities don't insist that their visa is transferred to the new Thai passport, so it seems likely this is normal and accepted practice everywhere.

In fact the UK immigration are always pleased to see a Thai (especially a Thai woman as my wife and daughters have proved may times) with old and new passports, even if the current visa is in the new passport, they like to see the travel history. One of my very beautiful Thai daughters always insists on carrying 3 passports as she has been stopped and interrogated so often in the UK and also in Singapore for instance, the old passports are proof that she has never overstayed any of her visa's, which is what they are most worried about.

If you want to make categorical  statements about what Thai immigration will do, you must supply proof that they will not accept two passports, not just your opinions.

I may have hastily misread about renewing your UK passport from Thailand on-line before, but at least I had the good grace to immediately apologise, otherwise I think that my many, many years of dealing with Thai immigration (and many other countries) give me a better idea of what actually goes on than your uniformed drivel.

Applied for my passport renewal at Trendy on the 3rd May and just received a phone text message from DHL, yes with a tracking number, but of no relevance as I also have an email  from HMPO to say that the new one has arrived at Trendy; and if it had not, it would be Trendies problem to track it not mine.

Anyway, that's a 13 day turn around, not bad at all.

Just looking at another thread and they are positive you can still carry two passports and immigration will just stamp your new passport on the way out, no need to transfer visa's. I will go to immigration and check for myself, as so much misinformation from those who claim to know about so-called "rule changes".

5 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Just looking at another thread and they are positive you can still carry two passports and immigration will just stamp your new passport on the way out, no need to transfer visa's. I will go to immigration and check for myself, as so much misinformation from those who claim to know about so-called "rule changes".

If you are on a visa then they will not transfer it, you do need to carry both old and new passports.  The first time you leave the country they will stamp your entry details into the new one but the visa itself stays where it is and will need to be shown on return.

If you are on an extension of stay however they do transfer your permission to stay stamp.

Unless something has changed recently (if so a reference please).

VISAs (obtained from a consulate outside Thailand) cannot be transferred to a new passport, just carry both passports.

EXTENSIONS of Stay (obtained from immigration inside Thailand) should be transferred to the new passport. Get a Jumbo passport, they take up a whole page doing the transfer.

On 5/13/2017 at 3:36 AM, MiKT said:

5 or six years ago, when they stopped issuing passports at the Embassy in Bangkok, you had to send it to HK by secure post/courier; they returned the old and new very quickly but if you had to travel out of Thailand then you had to get a special travel document from the Embassy.

Now all passports have to go via Trendy, so trackable mail (eg as used to send to HK) does not come into it any more, unless you are using a UK address, where your application can be dealt with and securely sent via the post office, but somebody needs to be in the UK to do that for you and then send it back here (presumably by trackable mail).

When I last renewed via HK a few years ago I did not have to send my old passport but only copies (and only of the photopage + pages containing visas & stamps to boot). AND I had my new passport couriered to me direct from the UK. I would have thought that broadly similar security, fraud, etc considerations applied then as now apply in apparent justification of the current requirement for 2 arduous (for those living in far-flung corners of LOS in particular) physical trips to the top floor of an office building with an exceedingly silly name somewhere in deepest darkest Bangkok.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:33 AM, sjbrownderby said:

Mine went from London, to East Midlands, to Leipzig, to Bangkok, to the local distribution centre, to delivery.

So much for "security", then, I think, if new passports travel such a pretty way from the UK to Bangkok as a matter of course!

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Unless something has changed recently (if so a reference please).

VISAs (obtained from a consulate outside Thailand) cannot be transferred to a new passport, just carry both passports.

EXTENSIONS of Stay (obtained from immigration inside Thailand) should be transferred to the new passport. Get a Jumbo passport, they take up a whole page doing the transfer.

Ta everso ta Crossy, just as I thought.

Yes I got a big one this time.

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

When I last renewed via HK a few years ago I did not have to send my old passport but only copies (and only of the photopage + pages containing visas & stamps to boot). AND I had my new passport couriered to me direct from the UK. I would have thought that broadly similar security, fraud, etc considerations applied then as now apply in apparent justification of the current requirement for 2 arduous (for those living in far-flung corners of LOS in particular) physical trips to the top floor of an office building with an exceedingly silly name somewhere in deepest darkest Bangkok.

So much for "security", then, I think, if new passports travel such a pretty way from the UK to Bangkok as a matter of course!

Yes but the difference is, when you renewed via HK (which only happened for a relatively short period 5 or 6 years ago when the stopped issuing directly from the Bangkok Embassy and before they started doing it via Trendy) it was your responsibility to track the mail from the UK to your home address. Now it goes between Government departments so its their responsibility if it gets lost.

On 2017-5-13 at 2:34 PM, MiKT said:

For instance, somebody coming into Thailand with two passports (one with a valid Thai visa) will be let in and can go out again; after all thousands of tourists and business people arrive with two passports (the old one with a valid Thai visa) all the time. It does not only apply to UK passport holders.

Right but we were talking about passport applied for in Bangkok and picked up in Bangkok. I realise of course that a British passport holder may return to the UK to renew his/her passport. I was talking about the transfer of the stamp and departure card which were issued in the old passport, both of thise have to be transferred before you can use the new passport to cross the border out of Thailand......................and even though the old passport is no longer valid it is stamped to the effect that the stamp and departure card have been transferred to the new passport at which time you can then use the new passport to cross the border out of Thailand. 

On 2017-5-13 at 2:34 PM, MiKT said:

I may have hastily misread about renewing your UK passport from Thailand on-line before,

It was not that you misread about renewing a UK passport it was that you were completely wrong to the point of denying that UK passports now have to be applied for at the Trendy Office Building. Your assertion was that you had to apply on line and that anyone who said that you get a new UK passport in Bangkok was wrong..............................Turned out it was you who was wrong. 

Now I am going to quote something to you from an email I received:

"Your current passport will be invalid on issue of your new UK passport. 
If you decide to travel against the advise of the GOV.UK website and experience problems, this is solely your decision"

This was extracted directly from an email received today from HMPO and makes it clear that when the new passport is issued then the current passport becomes invalid. As I said before you would not neccessarily know the date your new passport is issued but that date is marked clearly in the new passport and is not to be confused with the date on which you received your new passport. Did it ever occur to you why the gov.uk website tells you not to travel on a passport once you have applied for a new one? 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, OJAS said:

It is because that is the way that DHL ships stuff from the UK to Thailand. East Midlands Airport is the UK hub for DHL and Leipzig is the European hub. Most stuff going into EMA within the UK goes by road and I can tell you that it is a very secure facility.  

Edited by sjbrownderby