snoop1130

NACC accuse 13 police officers of corruption over procurement of over 19,000 motorcycles

23 posts in this topic

NACC accuse 13 police officers of corruption over procurement of over 19,000 motorcycles

13.png

The Royal Thai Police Office will set up a committee to investigate 13 police officers, including four generals, after the National Anti-Corruption Commission has implicated them of involvement in corruption over the procurement of over 19,000 service motorcycles.

Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen, deputy spokesman of the RTPO, said Monday that the graft watchdog had sent its investigating report regarding the motorcycle procurement project to the national police chief, Pol Ge Chakthip Chaichinda.

In the report, the NACC unanimously voted to fault Pol Lt-Gen Prachin Waree, deputy inspector-general, Pol Maj-Gen Sompong Namcharoen and Pol Maj-Gen Itthipol Piriyapinyon for malfeasance in office and gross disciplinary violations in connection with the acquisition of 19,147 service motorcycles.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nacc-accuse-13-police-officers-corruption-procurement-19000-motorcycles/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-3-20

I rarely see cops on motorbikes and then it's a couple with gold topped helmets doubled up. Where are these bikes?

1 person likes this

That's a few more in administrative posts then.

1 person likes this

Probably sold them back to the police so can buy them again and again.

45 minutes ago, Panda13 said:

Probably sold them back to the police so can buy them again and again.

It would definitely keep the overhead on the scam down, if it was the same bike 19,000 times.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It would definitely keep the overhead on the scam down, if it was the same bike 19,000 times.

Oh I don't know - you would have to factor in the costs of finding somewhere to store the other 18999 bikes.

You could hardly keep them in the police vehicle pound could you?

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I was under the impression that cops had to buy their own uniform, equipment and bike etc.

If that is the case and 19,000 motor bikes have been purchased, and then presumably sold, 19,000X 40,000(Average sale price) = 760,000,000 Baht!

Yes, I think they have some serious explaining to do.

Don't expect any prosecutions though, just redistribution of the wealth.

Police officers do not have to pay for official police vehicles.

There was no suggestion that these bikes had all been sold on to benefit the accused by 3/4bn baht.

It seems that the police are currently very busy with criminals in their own ranks.
Is there still enough time for the other public tasks?

2 people like this

malfeasance

Why don't they use a word that everyone knows or may be to embarrassed to use the word CORRUPTION as it would appear too often

1 person likes this

Of the 13 officers implicated, Pol Col Krisana said some of them had already retired from the service.

So they can't get an inactive post :post-4641-1156694572:

I hope we can read the end of this story one day, i think nothing will happen to them.

1 person likes this

Corruption in Police procurement is a recognised method of accruing great wealth, but works better if you marry the boss' daughter.

Police investigating police?

Good luck with that.

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

The RTP office will set up a committee,  :cheesy:

What for?? Everybody knows they are all corrupt.

Come on Colin......You know too well that a Committee has to be formed.......meetings, expenses paid excursions....probably to Japan where the bikes were made, business lunches, expenses, file reporting, expenses, proof reading, expenses.............committees....a must have in today's democracy ..:whistling:

1 person likes this

ID: 17   Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I was under the impression that cops had to buy their own uniform, equipment and bike etc.

If that is the case and 19,000 motor bikes have been purchased, and then presumably sold, 19,000X 40,000(Average sale price) = 760,000,000 Baht!

Previously (till 2014) one of my former companies did maintenance and repairs on several Bangkok Police Tiger Boxer motorcycles. The were having 2 types, the 200cc and the 250cc. 9 out of 10 were the 200cc versions.

The standard Tiger Boxer 200cc costs 64,000.-

The price of a standard Tiger Boxer 250 is 72,000.-.

The police bikes are different equiped than the standard ones and several are using the special tuned 4-stroke "Cagiva" engines (copied). They also have a different suspension. We were importer & dealer for 2 Italian brands (Aprilia & Cagiva). 

Average price when purchasing over 19,000 pieces will be least 60,000.- THB for the 200cc version. So we're talking about a total purchase price over at least 1 billion THB. 

Some Mercedes dealers must have been very happy....

Edited by FredNL

By the time the ''Committee'' has any findings the birds will have either died off from natural causes or flown to the expensive homes they bought abroad with the proceeds.   Nobody will go to jail, have assets seized or lose any pension rights !

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I rarely see cops on motorbikes and then it's a couple with gold topped helmets doubled up. Where are these bikes?

They are sold to people in the villages where no one ask for the correct papers.

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Probably out in rural Thailand. I see a lot in Khampaeng Phet province.

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To become a "general" is not a cheap maneuver or step up. One must become creative to accomplish this. 

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Come on Colin......You know too well that a Committee has to be formed.......meetings, expenses paid excursions....probably to Japan where the bikes were made, business lunches, expenses, file reporting, expenses, proof reading, expenses.............committees....a must have in today's democracy ..:whistling:

Exactly, need a full investigation, with trips to foreign countries to compare process and making sure Committee members have access to top info and technology so they can give the final findings with full knowledge and a straight face:

"All cleared, we did not find any corruption, they are exemplary and above any suspicion" Next :)

On 21/03/2017 at 5:44 PM, CantSpell said:

Exactly, need a full investigation, with trips to foreign countries to compare process and making sure Committee members have access to top info and technology so they can give the final findings with full knowledge and a straight face:

"All cleared, we did not find any corruption, they are exemplary and above any suspicion" Next :)

The Tiger Boxers were made in Thailand down in BKK.