Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
snoop1130

Thailand ranked 32 on World Happiness Report 2017 as Norway comes on top

Looks like the current 'government' will be there for a long time in their effort to restore happiness to the people.

Firstly Thailand  is rated at 33 France is at 32, Thailand loses out in Trust and Generosity sections, so there lies Thailand's problems the Junta ain't generous  and something we already know the Junta can't be trusted , that sums up Thailand in a nut shell.....................................:cheesy:.

I've been to some boring and expensive places in my time and Norway is right up at the top ..

• Like 2

An inflammatory post and all the replies to it have been removed

2 hours ago, rmacee said:

I've been to some boring and expensive places in my time and Norway is right up at the top ..

Second that.Good place to work and make youre living.Not to stay.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Thailand recently came first in the least miserable country in the world report but it's only the 32nd  happiest country in the world.

Not quite sure what this states, other than reports like this are totally meaningless. 

The miserable country index was based on questioning the citizens how they rate their happiness. 

This UN study makes assumptions that certain criteria are responsible for happiness. They haven't actually asked the people how they feel. 

So you get different results. Ask a Thai if he is happy, and in general you get a positive answer. Ask a foreigner and they are generally more critical of their own country. Ask a foreigner in Thailand, and most will say Thailand is shit and the people cant possibly be happy. 

I don't know which study should be regarded higher. But one thing is for sure; Ignorance is bliss. 

How on earth could they top the list? Maybe it's the wealth. The very thought of eating all that pickled fish, not to mention reindeer, and the grim winters...enough to send anyone into a deep funk. 

Nice people though.

Well I guess we all feel smug that our lives in Thailand are better than they would be in our home country.  That's great that we have a sense of appreciation.  Thing is there are many millions of people in this country who are poor, life sucks and have absolutely no hope for a better future.  I see them every day and cringe at the thought of what could have been

• Like 2

Guess it's back to the drawing board with the junta's "happiness campaign": http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/thailand-military-leaders-launch-happiness-campaign-1.2668950

That said, at least 99% of populace are happy with the junta itself ... and ain't that enough? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/23/thailands-junta-releases-poll-showing-993-of-citizens-happy-with-its-performance

Just occurred to me ... perhaps the low ranking is due to the researchers mistakenly including ThaiVisa members among the respondents.

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Thailand recently came first in the least miserable country in the world report but it's only the 32nd  happiest country in the world.

Not quite sure what this states, other than reports like this are totally meaningless. 

Based on many years of research, psychologists no longer view happiness and sadness as being at opposite ends of the same spectrum. One can be low on both (i.e., emotionally 'flat') or high on both (emotionally volatile/cyclic). In fact, these two emotions are centred in different parts of the brain (http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/28/science/the-brain-manages-happiness-and-sadness-in-different-centers.html?pagewanted=all). So these two surveys taken together (and assuming that both are valid) suggest that Thais are pretty immune to the bad stuff in life, but not exactly joyful. One might even attribute this to a Buddhist mindset of 'acceptance of suffering' without undue craving (that would lie behind 'joy').