webfact

Uber says Thai govt agrees to study ridesharing benefits

56 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dukeandduke said:

As opposed to the official taxis around Sukhumvit who won't use the meter late at night and will either take you a short distance for 200 baht or not at all.  Being douchey is no excuse.

Hmm you know Sukhumvit is a long street right ? I stay right on Sukhumit (near 38) and taxis there always use the meter, and never refuse a ride. I agree, the ones around the tourist mekka (near soi 4) can be dodgy. I just threaten to report them and that usually works fine.

 

The percentage of drivers doing what you describe is so tiny, it would be unjust to paint the whole basket..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

Hmm you know Sukhumvit is a long street right ? I stay right on Sukhumit (near 38) and taxis there always use the meter, and never refuse a ride. I agree, the ones around the tourist mekka (near soi 4) can be dodgy. I just threaten to report them and that usually works fine.

 

The percentage of drivers doing what you describe is so tiny, it would be unjust to paint the whole basket..

Read again and notice that I didn't say "all."  It happens all the time on Soi 11, for example, to me and many others.  Not just to farangs, either.

 

The point is, why does the govt. not care about this, but they get their knickers in a knot about Uber?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

Read again and notice that I didn't say "all."  It happens all the time on Soi 11, for example, to me and many others.  Not just to farangs, either.

 

The point is, why does the govt. not care about this, but they get their knickers in a knot about Uber?

Well I cannot answer that question for them. They did announce they would crack down on taxi drivers refusing to turn on the meter or refusing rides (which is also illegal) some time ago.

 

As to uber, they are  intending to not follow all kinds of regulations, as I said earlier, this is not a Thai only thing, Uber finds itself in hot water with authorities in quite a few other countries as well. Their business model might have something to do with that. In any case, there should be a level playing field, Uber should not be allowed to sidestep regulations other competitors are following.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hobz said:

disgusting Red car, good price, but takes a long time, and you have to breathe in exhaust fumes. Or you have to take a tuk tuk, and they charge like 2 times that of uber. Or you have to take a taxi meter that 100% refuses the meter and they charge like 4 times that of uber. 
Basically, a trip that me and my gf usually does to the mall is 130 THB with uber, roundtrip. With "taximeter" it's 400 THB roundtrip ... 400 THB is significant sum of money...

So we have the red songthaews for 20 baht which works fine on the regular routes into the city for most locals. Then there is Uber for 100-200 baht , a private tuk tuk no air-con and pollution for 200 ++, and a no meter taxi for 400 baht for a small trip .  

 

Anyone with a bit of a brain , and that includes Thai officials understand something is wrong here.  Why should C.M be different to Bangkok ? No regular buses, no meter taxi.

 

Uber is just taking that market because there are no other options for normal people living here. Tourists that only stay here for a few days don't care much but the locals should.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, balo said:

So we have the red songthaews for 20 baht which works fine on the regular routes into the city for most locals. Then there is Uber for 100-200 baht , a private tuk tuk no air-con and pollution for 200 ++, and a no meter taxi for 400 baht for a small trip .  

 

Anyone with a bit of a brain , and that includes Thai officials understand something is wrong here.  Why should C.M be different to Bangkok ? No regular buses, no meter taxi.

 

Uber is just taking that market because there are no other options for normal people living here. Tourists that only stay here for a few days don't care much but the locals should.  

 

 

 

You can't compare red car price 20 thb with uber 100-200.

A 200 thb uber trip is really long and it would be extremely hard to find a red car that would do that trip for 20 thb.

Uber charges like 60-70thb from kad suan kaew to central festival.

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hobz said:

Uber charges like 60-70thb from kad suan kaew to central festival.

Did you check the latest update on the app ? Uber sent out a message they increased their prices by 20-30% .  I paid 120 baht from the train station for only 3 km to Nong Pa Khrang.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, balo said:

Did you check the latest update on the app ? Uber sent out a message they increased their prices by 20-30% .  I paid 120 baht from the train station for only 3 km to Nong Pa Khrang.  

Maybe it was surge pricing? It's a temporary price increase during high demand to make sure drivers will flock to the area.

I just checked the app and the base pricing is the same. 2THB per km. 2THB per minute. 20THB base fare. 20THB minimum fare.

Your trip should cost around 30THB. 

I think you are making stuff up. Not sure why you would do that but..

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hobz said:

Maybe it was surge pricing? It's a temporary price increase during high demand to make sure drivers will flock to the area.

I just checked the app and the base pricing is the same. 2THB per km. 2THB per minute. 20THB base fare. 20THB minimum fare.

Your trip should cost around 30THB. 

I think you are making stuff up. Not sure why you would do that but..

I am not making stuff up, do you want to see the receipt ?

 

 But I understand a temporary price increase could be the reason for this. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 54   Posted (edited)

It was actually 109.56 to be more precise. 

 

Capture.jpg

 

 

Edited by balo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 55   Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, balo said:

It was actually 109.56 to be more precise. 

 

Capture.jpg

 

 

Thats super expensive for 3km uber trip. I have done many trips more than double that distance for half the price.

 

Must have been temporary increase. Or bug. Maybe make a complaint, it's way beyond what u should pay.2hChOoq.jpg

Edited by hobz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hobz said:

Must have been temporary increase. Or bug. Maybe make a complaint, it's way beyond what u should pay.

 

Interesting , I will make a complaint and see what happens.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 28 June 2017 17:35
Sponsors