Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Campaign to fight tourist scams piloted in Kanchanaburi

Campaign to fight tourist scams piloted in Kanchanaburi

KANCHANABURI, 20 March 2017 (NNT) – In line with the government’s goal of raising tourist confidence, a campaign against tourist scams has been launched in Kanchanaburi province to prevent unscrupulous operators from taking advantage of tourists. 

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Tourist Police Division are collaborating on a campaign to enforce regulation on tourism businesses and prevent unfair pricing of products and services for tourists. The campaign is to be piloted in Mueang Kanchanaburi, Sai Yok, Thong Pha Phum, Sangkhla Buri and Si Sawat districts of Kanchanaburi which are considered tourism hotspots. 

According to Permanent Secretary for Tourism and Sports Pongpanu Svetarundra, this campaign will help improve Thailand’s image in the eyes of foreigners and give them assurances that they will not be tricked into paying extravagant prices for goods and services.

He also cited Kanchanaburi as an appropriate province for the pilot project due to its popularity among tourists. Last year, over 9 million people visited the province, generating over 20 billion baht in revenue.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-21

........and the train fares in Kanchanaburi?  only trains in Thailand applying double pricing, as far as I know.

• Like 2

The golden goose...is running out of flap...beginning a nose dive...slowly but surely...:violin:

Interesting that this should start in Kanchanaburi.

On my first and only trip to Thailand as a tourist, I went to the war graves site there and was charged what I now know was a scam price to enter - I knew no better at the time. I read a similar story in a differential-pricing thread here not many weeks ago.

Contacting the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, after I saw that post & had my memory jogged, confirmed that entry is free and CWGC say there are signs there stating that entry is FREE TO ALL, even Thais. 

Scams are everywhere here, especially that Master Scammer, the Dept. of National Parks etc.

• Like 2

Will the same authorities who oversee the regular 'cleanups' be employed to ensure tourists aren't scammed? You know, the ones with wands wings trailing fairy dust?