Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
finy

Is Laos as bad as everyone says?

Destiny1990    1,105

Checked into mine Vientiane  hotelroom.went down to sit on the hotel outdoor terrace the waiter came gave me the menu and said exactly i be back in 3 minutes to take u order sir..Weird enough my innervoice told me that he would never return and he did not.So after 15 minutes i went down another restaurant next door.Laos Its frienly people but not much experienced with foreigners.

ubonjoe    17,775

Several baiting and bickering posts have been removed. Time to end it.

• Like 1

jak2002003    1,274

I have been there several time... both Vientiane and Luang Prabang.   I found it really interesting and the people nice.  I also liked the food.. the local food in the cheap restaurants.... some is similar to Thai food.. and some is very spicy and lots of good flavours. 

At the embassy I had no problems... it was very quite, not many people.

If you take a few days the countryside and jungles are beautiful and you can do trips to waterfalls and all that stuff.. much better than Thailand, because they are not overdeveloped of full of crowds of people.

• Like 1

Roger Lee    804

I've always enjoyed Vientiane, although not quite up to Thailand standards it does have it's positives.

If you enjoy Beerlao, pizza and cheeseburgers you're in luck.  I've found the food to be exceptional and staying at the Best Western, while not quite up to Marriott or Hyatt standards was very comfortable and accomodating without denting your pocketbook too much.  Plenty of temples, goverment buildings and the like to explore if that's your thing.

The Tuk Tuks are okay as long as you communicate before you take a ride, the taxi service was fair, again ask how much before you arrive.

17352556_1021152261350168_3858396971367311527_n.jpg

17353357_1021213494677378_5960921188233263240_n.jpg

17342520_1021152374683490_6305687743948140800_n.jpg

17155337_1021152528016808_3779150222225283840_n.jpg

17353099_1021213064677421_225348340136020358_n.jpg

• Like 1

djayz    1,674
On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, finy said:

Bad as in getting rejected at border of V without 20k cash or having visa declined at S without onward flight and itinerary.

lots of stories on here recently.

im already in Asia.

Don't believe all the stories you read on the internet... you don't know who's posting them and what his/her motives are. 

I've been travelling approx. 15-16 years (on and off) around SE Asia and haven't had a single problem and I've never carried 20K in cash with me either. That's a new one to me. 

My advice to you is to look up the info on the official consulates' / embassies' homepages and don't rely on what strangers tell you/post on the net. 

Good luck and enjoy the journey. 

• Like 1

BigKahuna    358
On 28/03/2017 at 9:34 PM, zyphodb said:

Don't forget Beer Lao, far better than anything brewed in Thailand and cheaper too..........

Beer Lao is average. I dont know why some talk it up.

• Like 1

BigKahuna    358

Id rather drink bourbon or single malt. Beer Lao is ok but Ive had many better.

ajarngreg    356
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Because it's better than all the Thai beers and in Laos is extremely cheap.  Nothing better than a bottle of beer Lao by the river while the sun is setting.

mini-PakseDec2010 012.jpg

mini-PakseDec2010 017.jpg

+ 1. The restaurant with a huge penguin in Sawannakhet with great food and always cold beer, a duty-free shop, and some other nice places help you to enjoy the country/city. 

Annoying are most of the Tuk Tuk drivers who charge ten times more than a New York cab does, including tip.

Edited by ajarngreg
  • Like 1

ChakaKhan    278

Ive done countless visa runs there from CM--the long bus ride sucks..

But after doing it--its ok just a pain getting to town..

Get your visa--avoid the taxi and tuk tuk jerks go right for

the local japanese buses to town 1usd or 30 bt--done

I always did Mixay paradise GH as was decent price and

good location--always walked or rented a bicycle to get to embassy

Did the visa game with 300 others in blazing heat--pretty easy

Ive always gotten double entry without showing a thing--always

I basically live on the bahn mi sandwiches by the bus station--dirt

cheap and will fill u up..usually  lady on street making em

Drink a few fruit shakes and use the 7-11 knockoffs for drinks

Beer laos doesnt do it for me so i just stick with shakes or tea

Eat at the street stands by the river at night--can find some decent cheap eats

Is $$$ as its full of visa runners and kinda boring but is ok for 48 hrs

First time this visit i got to stay 4 months without a VISA run--just got

my 30 at bkk airport--extended then did the burma-mae sai run--extended

4 months total and took me to the very last day im leaving on..done n done!

Also found a huge bag of weed on the ground there--but thats another story..

• Like 2

WoW ... Is Laos as bad as everybody says ? ... I've only lived here for 25 years ++ ... food is good, Alcohol in general is 40% cheaper than in Thailand, beer even cheaper ... to fully appreciate Laos, you need to travel around the Country which is relatively cheap ... however, I must admit the Tuk Tuk's can be ... the most expensive form of transport in South East Asia ... nice to come back home after a trip to Thailand where the corrupt police seem to know I'm coming and pick on everything possible to squeeze a fine for me driving there ...

• Like 1

brewsterbudgen    5,437
WoW ... Is Laos as bad as everybody says ? ... I've only lived here for 25 years ++ ... food is good, Alcohol in general is 40% cheaper than in Thailand, beer even cheaper ... to fully appreciate Laos, you need to travel around the Country which is relatively cheap ... however, I must admit the Tuk Tuk's can be ... the most expensive form of transport in South East Asia ... nice to come back home after a trip to Thailand where the corrupt police seem to know I'm coming and pick on everything possible to squeeze a fine for me driving there ...

Is it easy to live permanently in Laos visa-wise? My wife is Lao and we have a house there, but I and my son are British. We currently all live in Thailand, but one day will have to choose UK or Laos.

IMA_FARANG    3,587

I have been to both places and got SETV from both.

Except for the lines on the days when the buses arrive from Thailand with their load of visa runners I have no complaints about either one.

In Vientiane I hired a Tuk-Tuk at the airport on arrival for the 3 days I was there and he took me everywhere. Showed up at my hotel in the morning as needed.

No complaints here.

I flew in and out of both on Lao Air because of my age ( I am 71 years old) and I have no complaints about either place.

I actually had a wheelchair on Lao Air n both places. They lifted my wheel chair into the plane by the food service entry door and I was the last person seated  on the plane.

And I actually enjoyed the Chili Dogs at the Diary Queen in the Vientiane airport.

• Like 1