BANGKOK 13 November 2018 09:37
sapson

Inguinal hernia cost experience and recovery?

28 minutes ago, sapson said:

Wow thats vey high for khon kaen , a general anesthetic and 3/4 day stay, they sure know how to charge, if you dont mind me asking what age bracket are you in, maybe if late fifties like myself they are more cautious and expensive.

Nice service though had a full health check their two years ago for 10k baht which they still do as a promotion price.

Would have put that as a Bumrungrad price for Laproscopic,

But up to date info which is what I wanted so thanks very much for the input!

What was your recovery time as in able to drive a car or motorbike and walk freely?

Yes does seem rather high - they also initially said that I would be icu for one day and the full stay would be for a week.

Both myself and insurer queried the length of time - There was an issue of a previous operation for an AAA 7 months before, they cut down the same scar 20cm and inserted the mesh there. There was also a bit of a problem with my hyper thyroid numbers at the time, the operation had to be put off till they stabilised it.

Reading back over my post sounds like I'm falling apart!! I'm fine!! 

I actually drove home myself after discharge (30km)., and within a few days I was into my routine of walking on the treadmill for 30mins/day.

banK

I know it's shutting the stable door after the horse is out but for patients with just about anything wrong with them you might take a look at this page 

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pages/hub.aspx

(I use it to advertise the brilliant NHS website which guess what....saves them money)

Just follow through to the part of the body you need.

it points out that same day or next day discharge is normal for inguinal hernia, and only 10% will have a repeat event.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, banK said:

Am 68

banK

Thanks for the info banK , all very good in terms of your recovery driving home etc! but wow that 200k is way out of my league as a self insured at the moment!

If you can't afford 200K you are not "self-insured", you are uninsured, and dangerously so.

To be "self-insured" in any meaningful way in Thailand you would need to have at least 2-3 million baht set aside and the ability to replenish it if needed, as that is what a true medical emergency will easily set you back here.

The hernia is not  really a problem -- ,you can get it done in a government hospital, open approach, for a very reasonable amount. Or, you could have it done back in the UK laparoscopically for the price of the air ticket if you are still covered under NHS (may not be if you have been overseas long).

But you need to get insurance in case of something more serious happening - illness, accident etc.

On 3/30/2017 at 2:21 PM, cheeryble said:

Check if it's on the list of Bumrungrad standard prices and deduct ?% (half to two thirds?) if you are in a local hospital 

Sound right Sheryl?

Do not believe that 'real cost' service is still offered - at least I could not find it when I recently checked there website..

A shame ......it was genuine and no nonsense.
In fact I was estimated at 300k baht and ended up paying 200k.
Becoming friends with the doc may have helped :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 3/31/2017 at 4:23 PM, Sheryl said:

If you can't afford 200K you are not "self-insured", you are uninsured, and dangerously so.

To be "self-insured" in any meaningful way in Thailand you would need to have at least 2-3 million baht set aside and the ability to replenish it if needed, as that is what a true medical emergency will easily set you back here.

The hernia is not  really a problem -- ,you can get it done in a government hospital, open approach, for a very reasonable amount. Or, you could have it done back in the UK laparoscopically for the price of the air ticket if you are still covered under NHS (may not be if you have been overseas long).

But you need to get insurance in case of something more serious happening - illness, accident etc.

Some very interesting and concerning points.

You may well know or good for the visa section?

If this problem were to worsen which I think it is, or one other very concerning problem and you were advised surgery within a week etc,

Could you go to local immigration armed with a doctors confirmation letter of your condition confirming unfit to travel and extend a standard visa already extended for  another 30 days or much longer if better, to avoid an overstay and to allow for op scheduling and recovery period on medical grounds..................or do you need to arrive in an ambulance at immigration for this service..............is their any leniency?

You need to have a doctor's letter certifying you are unable to travel. Which would be rather undermined by your walking in the door.

They also often request photographs of the patient in their hospital bed.

Elective surgery won't do it.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You need to have a doctor's letter certifying you are unable to travel. Which would be rather undermined by your walking in the door.

They also often request photographs of the patient in their hospital bed.

Elective surgery won't do it.

Thanks for that so if I am admitted in hospital, or a  confirmed by a doctor unfit to travel you could send someone with a doctors letter and you passport and fee to get the extension.?

Yes but the evidence will need to be substantial. They will want a letter from a hospital, not just a doctor, and photos etc. A hernia repair will not do the trick.

Besides the laparoscopy method, and mesh method, where a triangular piece of mesh is used, you should be aware that there is also another method where a "shuttlecock" shaped piece of mesh is inserted into the hernia, then a mesh patch over the top.

Google "hernia + shuttlecock method"

I chose this method in the UK. A double hernia. Both sides done at the same time. The doctor told me it had a far greater success rate against failure or recurrence, and that if it ever failed, he would redo it for free.

He explained that over the coming twelve months the body would produce fibroblasts? that would envelop the shuttlecock shaped mesh, which would then act like steel reinforcement in concrete.

Spent one night in hospital, then went home. Not painful, but could not do anything strenuous for three to four weeks. Told not to lift anything heavier than 2kg. After the first week, I was out and about, albeit walking slowly and gingerly. Things improved rapidly.

IMPORTANT..

I was warned that general anaesthetic causes severe dehydration, and could cause constipation, (and this proved to be true).

Keep well hydrated, and also keep some  medicine to loosen your bowels handy. believe me, you don't want constipation when you have stitches.

I cannot remember the name of the medicine the doctor recommended to me, but it worked.

HTH

Edited by phetphet

On 4/2/2017 at 3:16 PM, Sheryl said:

Yes but the evidence will need to be substantial. They will want a letter from a hospital, not just a doctor, and photos etc. A hernia repair will not do the trick.

Thanks for all your input, I did manage to do a visa trip to Vientiane even though concerned so at least bought myself some time,

Do you think it is safe to delay the operation for six months or so, was offered a job, but this would involve a lot of time standing.4/5 hours a day............is this viable medically or totally stupid to even contemplate risking it.?

As explained before, this is elective surgery. The only reason for doing it is that on balance, for an otherwise healthy person, the risk of it strangulating are higher than the risk associated with the surgery. (This equation is reversed for the very elderly and people with health conditions placing them at unusual risk for surgery).

To give you an idea, the annual risk of strangulation is about 1-2%. Risk of it in a 6 month period would be half that. So odds are 99-99.5% you will  be fine delaying the surgery. You should do it eventually (unless you have helath condition that makes you a poor operative risk) but there is no rush. Some people wait years before getting around to it, and if you had it done back home on the NHS you'd likely be made to wait 6 months or more.

In addition, your new job should provide you with insurance through the Thai  Social Security system, unless it is a private school.  This will pay the cost of the surgery in full.