Thailand Forum
ricklev

Vietjet Air -- Reviews

ricklev    473

I just booked a 700 baht flight from Chiang Mai to BKK.  Then I checked and saw that it has horrible reviews and ratings, at least in Vietnam.  Just curious, has anyone used it to Bangkok?  Any problems?

CNXBKKMAN    1,185

I have not flown them but they do have bad reputation within Vietnam. I wouldn't use them to connect with another flight at BKK or for doing anything important because they have so few flights . If the morning departure had a problem it's not like you can get on the next flight at 10. The next flight is in the evening. 

I did see the morning flight depart once , go up over Maya then start the banking to turn south as normal but it then started to turn north? It made hasty u-turn and a 18 landing (back the way it had just taken off) . Obviously some sort of emergency that required an immediate return to the airport. I was expecting some reports in the media about it but nothing?

ricklev    473
Posted (edited)

It's a moot point as I did not include my middle name on the reservation and it is on my passport.  My fault really. The English version asks for middle name, but the Thai Google translated version does not and it defaulted to Thai.  It turns out that this is a source of extra income for them.  A number of reviews on travel in  Vietnam and one I read from Chiang Mai show people who had problems for lack of  a middle name and were forced to purchase a new ticket.  

I spoke with customer service and emailed them a copy of my passport at their request.  They kept my money, said I couldn't use the ticket and that there was nothing they could do about it.  

I know it was my fault.  No need to tell me that.  But I bet someone does.......

LIve and learn!

Edited by ricklev

orchis    140

I flew with them domestic in Vietnam, was fine, actually 

• Like 1

CNXBKKMAN    1,185
20 minutes ago, ricklev said:

It's a moot point as I did not include my middle name on the reservation and it is on my passport.  My fault really. The English version asks for middle name, but the Thai Google translated version does not and it defaulted to Thai.  It turns out that this is a source of extra income for them.  A number of reviews on travel in  Vietnam and one I read from Chiang Mai show people who had problems for lack of  a middle name and were forced to purchase a new ticket.  

I spoke with customer service and emailed them a copy of my passport at their request.  They kept my money, said I couldn't use the ticket and that there was nothing they could do about it.  

I know it was my fault.  No need to tell me that.  But I bet someone does.......

LIve and learn!

A general default rule all traditional airlines follow is first name and surname must match the passport. The middle name is not required basically because some people have long surnames and more than one middle name. There is a limit to the number of characters that the booking system can accept. Titles are optional also. Thaivietjet may have there own web only booking system but it shows what kind of airline they are when they give you grief over your middle name. 

• Like 2

opalred    685

i have flown a few times with them 

better and cheaper than airasia

but take care as i got caught as didn't have time to connect 

from dm to main bkk airport 

KhonKaenKowboy    788

I paid 190 thb each for four different one ways to BKK and back over the next 6 weeks...AirAsia....1 hour of pain...wouldn't take the train if you paid me.

clokwise    128

I missed my connecting flight in BKK thanks to my VietJet flight out of Hanoi. Over 5 hours late! I'm done with VietJet..

terryw    261

I often use Vietjet in Vietnam. They are cheap and cheerful with new planes and better leg room than many budget airlines.

Their main problem in Vietnam is that the airports give priority to the government airline Vietnam Airlines. So when airports are busy Vietjet planes often lose their take off slot to their main rival, thereby being late. Also Vietnamese prefer to have a meal on board whereas Vietjet only provides food at an extra cost.

Pungdo    264
Posted (edited)

I flew with these turkeys to Saigon last October, never again, their online booking system messed up my name and after about 40 emails back and forth I ended up having to cancel the outbound ticket and re purchase at double the original flight cost, plus there was no credit for the original ticket, they then charged me to change the name on the return flight.

Just to top it all off, when I went to check in at Swampy they claimed I hadn't paid the extra fees, (which I had to pay with my credit card before they would make any changes) and hit me up for cash or they wouldn't let me on the flight.

They are now well and truly on my "Never Fly With Them Again" list

Edited by Pungdo

RandG    68

My wife and I have used them for a return trip between Phuket and Chiang Rai. On time to the minute; staff fine. Very similar to Air Asia. Would not hesitate to fly again.

Dustdevil    720
15 hours ago, davehowden said:

Yeh but look at the staff:

index.jpg

Book me! Book me! No, not at the police station. On this airline. 

henlin    12

Flew back from Hanoi to BKK a couple of years ago with Vietjet - absolutely no worries at all.

H.

• Like 1