Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Frank12

Being denied entry with marriage visa

So here is the thing. Almost 2 months ago I got harased by the imigration at Don Muaeng because they didn't believe me that I stay here legitimately.  So I have been staying in Thailand as of now like 2 years+ like 5 months ( and one year before I have been here like 8 months for the first time). So I had like 3 tourist visa in my pasport+ED visa+ now marriage visa all from Laos except the first tourist one. The last 2 being from Laos back to back tourist visas I believe because It took me more time than anticpiated preparing all the documents and the marriage itself that I anticipated. Never expected the amount of visas could be an issue.  I live with my wife and her son here for like 2 years+ no problems at all everyone sees me every day in our Village.

So they stopped me at Don Muaeng from my one day visa jump and harrased me for like 30min-1hour wanted to deny my entry (I couldn't produce photos with my wife but it was because I had a new phone because my Chinesse Xiaomi Phone died). They didn't listen calling my wife or so it seems also wasn't considered a prove. Finally some lady took some pitty with me and called my wife (who was BTW waiting on me in Bangkok ). No reasoning worked with them. I don't live in Bangkok I live in a small remote Village in Uthai Thani region there is like 500 people in the Village and the only place I could possibly work would be school (where they hired a girl from USA for  3 years contract lately). Again they didn't wanted to listen. Don't think it would matter at all because they didn't talk English that much. On top of that they considered my poor Thai as a proof I am not really married (kinda not my fault my wife speaks fluent English) and can say only like basic things in Thai. (I know,I know but I am not really talented with learning language tbh).

Now I am going back to my home country for my friend wedding and I am scared as shit whether they will let me back in. I plan to take money the ticked just in case+ 20 000 baht again just in case but was wondering does anyone has the problem like me??

I mean I was super careless with this expected that because I have the marriage visa I shouldn't have any issues and now is kinda too late for organizing the visa extension (I just made myself an account in Bangkok Bank to wire myself money from abroad but my wife messed it up and now I don't know when I will be able to do it) I mean assuming they will give it too me because Don Muaeng immmigration was very clear in stating I am no longer welcome here.....

• Like 1

Immigration at Don Mueang has a reputation for giving people a hard time. I would not worry about it to much.

If you will be flying Suvarnabhumi airport into after your trip to you will certainly not have a problem. 

• Like 2

Before you leave home get a N-O Visa for marriage.for 90 days. Then when you arrive back set-up your bank account with 400K

to cover your one year Marriage visa. After 90 days go to immigration and get a proper visa for a year. You must be very young

for the immigration officers to challenge you. No more Tourist Visas.

1 minute ago, tomwct said:

Before you leave home get a N-O Visa for marriage.for 90 days. Then when you arrive back set-up your bank account with 400K

to cover your one year Marriage visa. After 90 days go to immigration and get a proper visa for a year. You must be very young

I am 32 for what it is worth. I still have valid non-o from Savanakhet and yeah already started with the bank account (me and my wife messed up because I didn't tell here to put our address in English letters now it is kinda an issue because my bank before wire'ing me money asked me for bank statement with proof the account belongs to me). Waiting till after Songkran to fix it with my local branch here so I could safely wire myself money. There isn't any story with my visas too. I mean first came for a extended holiday 3 years ago meet here at the end went traveling to South America and working came back, got ED visa to learn Thai because wanted to impress her (she didn't wanted to be my GF then) we stayed in Bangkok after a while we moved here (she has like 6 years old son now who BTW doesn't know any father except me). I mean I know I need some long term visa and we decided to marry kinda soon but still needed like 2 more tourist visa before we sort it all out and we could marry. After that last 10 months I stayed  on the marriage visa.

And again it is not like it matters for immigiration but there isn't any place here I could work even if I wanted we leave in small 500 people Village where people are still surprised to see farang on the street.

Posted (edited)

For what is worth my Thai is still better that 98% of the immigration English and they had learned the language for far longer than me. Not that it matters when they give me hard time for not speaking their beloved native language well...

Edited by Frank12

Your age will make them very suspicious that you are working in Thailand, and you don't have the desired visa/permit to stay for someone living in the country. Sounds like you got an officious IO, but at your age you should be prepared for extra scrutiny until you have an appropriate extension of stay.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, elviajero said:

Your age will make them very suspicious that you are working in Thailand, and you don't have the desired visa/permit to stay for someone living in the country. Sounds like you got an officious IO, but at your age you should be prepared for extra scrutiny until you have an appropriate extension of stay.

That's a first:feel good about being not so young any more.

• Like 2

"I am no longer welcome here". Of course you are welcome here, you are a "guest".

you are very young to retire at 32. Naturally, immigration officers must be wondering how you manage to support your wife and children without working! so you cannot blame them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tomwct said:

Is the one year marriage visa not actually a visa, but extensions, where you are required to have 400.000Bt in the bank?

Is it not a marriage visa with 90 day border runs the OP has?

19 hours ago, JackThompson said:

My best advise:

• Get a New Passport so that old ED visa never enters the mind of an IO, again.  They will see prior entries/exits - but the "type" of those is not shown on the first screen (according to some theories / reports).  You are NOT the first person to catch hell who had an ED visa in their passport.
  • They probably don't really "think you work here" - that's just another lie - same as if you don't have the 20K Baht cash, but can't go to an ATM to prove you have it, etc.  There are 2 ways they can legally reject you - not having 20K baht or suspicion of working - so they say these silly things to justify the big lie they are using to hurt you (and the Thais who benefit when you spend your foreign-sourced money here).
  • I carry the cash, proof my money comes from overseas, and my condo-lease.  If living with the GF, try to come up with some sort of lease-agreement you can carry - maybe with a copy of her blue-book.  And, yes, pics of you together - hard color-copies, in case your phone dies.  Whatever you say, they may just call you a liar, based on other reports.  How much of this is xenophbia-induced paranoia, and how much is due to a general hate of Farangs in the Immigration division, is anyone's best guess. 
  • Avoid entering by air.  Someone just caught hell at Swampy (who also had an old ED visa in their passport) - so I would not try that, either.  I would fly to Malaysia and train-in.  Airports are "traps" to catch long-stayers and send them far, far, away - and make their lives temporarily-hell. 
  • Was your "one day visa jump" to get a new entry on a Multiple Non-O visa?  If so, go in/out through Ban Laem or another friendly land-checkpoint.  Have the 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks - just in case - and you will be fine.  Maybe stay out one night before returning.  If you do NOT have that visa - go to Savanakhet and get one - no financial proof necessary.  Use that visa for All Future Entries. 

Re - languages - I do very well in some fields, but am a complete moron when it comes to learning languages; you are not alone.  Some people can memorize "sounds" into words quickly, others cannot.  This IO is probably a quick memorizer, but never had an abstract-thought in their life. 

Maybe some high-up IO had his daughter knocked-up and dumped by a Farang - who knows.  Nevermind all the Thousands of Thai Kids, like your adopted one, who Have Dads and Decent Financial Support For The First Time thanks to a Farang, after Thai-dad ran away from his responsibility like a <...>. 

you seem to hate Thais and Thailand so much.  Why do you live here? the majority of us don't have these sort of problems.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gamini said:

you are very young to retire at 32. Naturally, immigration officers must be wondering how you manage to support your wife and children without working! so you cannot blame them.

It is possible for people around the OPs age to have property he is renting out. Thai immigration are just a bit too heavy handed at hassling younger people at times. I see the need to make sure people are not working illegally, so why not come down on the people who are employing them, schools, factories etc? Brown envelopes spring to mind again.