carlyai

Pool underwater lights wiring

33 posts in this topic

I enquired about pool transformers, SELV compliance from a pool mob here in Thailand, and they said their pool transformers were no SELV compliment as SELV is not recognised in Thailand. So I've got to wonder if pool transformers sold in Thailand are 100% safe?

Maybe they have another name for SELV compliance in Thailand?

My pool lights require 12 V A.C. and must have a AC/DC converter in the LED unit, so I just need the transformer (not a power supply with DC output protection). If I'm going to have a transformer only, I should have a SELV one.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I enquired about pool transformers, SELV compliance from a pool mob here in Thailand, and they said their pool transformers were no SELV compliment as SELV is not recognised in Thailand. So I've got to wonder if pool transformers sold in Thailand are 100% safe?

Maybe they have another name for SELV compliance in Thailand?

My pool lights require 12 V A.C. and must have a AC/DC converter in the LED unit, so I just need the transformer (not a power supply with DC output protection). If I'm going to have a transformer only, I should have a SELV one.

Have you checked these out from Emaux?

http://www.emauxgroup.com/vmchk/lighting/view-all-products

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

Yeah, did check the Aus Emaux, but their online products site didn't specify SELV complaint. Had CE and other, but not stated SELV.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It may not absolutely state SELV, but rest assured, if it's on the market in Oz it certainly is :)

1 person likes this

Yes I was thinking that also. Communicated with another Aus mob today and they sell pool transformers with 4 x 50VA secondaries, so that's the way I may go.

It's difficult trying to interpret all these various ratings, some transformers have no mains plugs and rated differently that those with mains plugs etc.

It's like trying to understand food labelling or fruit wine content. 555

Emaux tgrsansformers are not  supplied with  Emaux lights in Thailand. Most  transformers are locally  manufactured. Don't  expect certified compliance with  foreign  standards  even if they  are made to  those standards.

Underwater lights  are usually  wired to  individual transformers using  a deckbox as illustraged in  the installation  manual.

2 people like this

On 19/04/2017 at 1:21 PM, Crossy said:

It's called SELV (Separated Extra Low Voltage), one would assume that big name (Emaux) kit specifically designed for pool lighting would meet this requirement.

A modern "transformer" is unlikely to be an actual transformer, more likely a switch-mode power supply, these can of course also meet the requirements of SELV.

Emaux do  not  supply transformers for  Thailand with  their underwater lights. Retailers have the choice of either getting  locally  made transformers offered by  the Bangkok  Emaux agent or obtaining  them from  another local  wholesaler or manufacturer. It  is unlikely that Thai  electrical  equipment, even if of an equivalent  standard, is certified for  compliance with  foreign standards. The transformers stocked by  SwimmingPoolsThailand are the ones provided by  the Emaux agent.