webfact

Nigerian man beaten after giving the middle finger in Pattaya

100 posts in this topic

And this is why I am still holed up at the house avoiding it all.

Drunken yobism!

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Where is the best place?

Nakhon nowhere in Issan. 

ID: 78   Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Nakhon nowhere in Issan. 

Just like I figured, likes to slag off Pattaya but can't offer an alternative.

Edited by giddyup

How does a Nigerian afford a holiday in Pattaya? Must be a scammer of a drug mule!!!! Such an attitude for a black man is diabolical. Serves  him right.

Thin skin Thais and their exaggerated sense of pride. Criminal.

Just now, Chip Allen said:

Thin skin Thais and their exaggerated sense of pride. Criminal.

Try driving through an ethnic neighbourhood in Detroit or LA and giving the finger.

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Try driving through an ethnic neighbourhood in Detroit or LA and giving the finger.

Or through East Germany in any bigger city. 

ID: 83   Posted (edited)

I'm a little bit confused now after reading exactly the opposite in The Farang, a German Magazine.Regarding The Farang did the four culprits show the Nigerian man the middle finger because they're so upset that he wanted to drive through Soi 7.

If that's true and he went out of his car to  play the hero, then it all looks a little bit different. 

http://der-farang.com/de/pages/jugendliche-schlagen-nigerianer-krankenhausreif

Edited by ajarngreg

My god. Someone flips you the bird so you get so angry you feel you have to beat them. I'd suggest many of these people have serious anger issues and need help. 

2 people like this

Just now, rkidlad said:

My god. Someone flips you the bird so you get so angry you feel you have to beat them. I'd suggest many of these people have serious anger issues and need help. 

People don't seem to grasp that an extended middle finger can bring down a world of hurt in many places, not just Thailand. Now, maybe the whole world has anger issues, but rather than trying to solve that problem, why not try and exercise some restraint yourself?

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

People don't seem to grasp that an extended middle finger can bring down a world of hurt in many places, not just Thailand. Now, maybe the whole world has anger issues, but rather than trying to solve that problem, why not try and exercise some restraint yourself?

Great idea. Instead of condemning such abhorrent violence, simply say that this is what you can come to expect when using the middle finger, etc. Then we can all live in fear of a beating if we show any disrespect in a public place. A really civilized view point.

Or, we can deal with violent offenders appropriately. Let them get the message that violence is never acceptable and will be dealt with harshly. Maybe we can even have a law where it's an offence to show any disrespect in public. A 'public disorder' act to keep the overly sensitive appeased. Or, stop acting like a child and get on with your life. 

Just because something does happen, doesn't mean it shouldn't be condemned. 

ID: 87   Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Great idea. Instead of condemning such abhorrent violence, simply say that this is what you can come to expect when using the middle finger, etc. Then we can all live in fear of a beating if we show any disrespect in a public place. A really civilized view point.

Or, we can deal with violent offenders appropriately. Let them get the message that violence is never acceptable and will be dealt with harshly. Maybe we can even have a law where it's an offence to show any disrespect in public. A 'public disorder' act to keep the overly sensitive appeased. Or, stop acting like a child and get on with your life. 

Just because something does happen, doesn't mean it shouldn't be condemned. 

Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. Doesn't matter which way you cut it the Nigerian caused the situation, in other circumstances he could have been killed. Mobs behave badly in many places, you just don't stick your hand in a hornets nest then complain about being stung. Countries like the US deal with violence in a far stricter way than Thailand, does it prevent people behaving badly?

Edited by giddyup

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. Doesn't matter which way you cut it the Nigerian caused the situation, in other circumstances he could have been killed. Mobs behave badly in many places, you just don't stick your hand in a hornets nest then complain about being stung. Countries like the US deal with violence in a far stricter way than Thailand, does it prevent people behaving badly?

It doesn't. But people condemn it and therefore know it's wrong.

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It doesn't. But people condemn it and therefore know it's wrong.

Appropriate epithet for your tombstone "They knew it was wrong, but killed me anyway".

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Appropriate epithet for your tombstone "They knew it was wrong, but killed me anyway".

Again, you're missing the point. Violence will always happen but we can lower the amount. You, like many others, put the onus of decent behaviour on the wrong people. Flipping the bird doesn't equal a beating. You put the onus of blame on the people who get the beating by saying "you should know if you flip the bird you can get seriously hurt". This makes it more acceptable to do in society which means more people will do it. If we all criticize it and condemn it, it will happen less. Especially in cultures with a system of 'face'.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Again, you're missing the point. Violence will always happen but we can lower the amount. You, like many others, put the onus of decent behaviour on the wrong people. Flipping the bird doesn't equal a beating. You put the onus of blame on the people who get the beating by saying "you should know if you flip the bird you can get seriously hurt". This makes it more acceptable to do in society which means more people will do it. If we all criticize it and condemn it, it will happen less. Especially in cultures with a system of 'face'.

You can lower the amount by not antagonizing people. Sorry, but the world is becoming a more violent place, not less so, and if you don't take care you'll be another victim. I don't have the time or the will to try and start changing peoples behaviour, but I do have the common sense not to flip people off. Because of media coverage there are probably more people being shamed because of bad behaviour than ever, has it made the world a safer place to be or people more respectful of each other?   Has it hell, people are more selfish and self centred than ever. Perhaps you can give me and others some insight on how you plan on making the world a safer and better place?

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You can lower the amount by not antagonizing people. Sorry, but the world is becoming a more violent place, not less so, and if you don't take care you'll be another victim. I don't have the time or the will to try and start changing peoples behaviour, but I do have the common sense not to flip people off. Because of media coverage there are probably more people being shamed because of bad behaviour than ever, has it made the world a safer place to be or people more respectful of each other?   Has it hell, people are more selfish and self centred than ever. Perhaps you can give me and others some insight on how you plan on making the world a safer and better place?

Again, this isn't about me or you having the common sense to not flip people the bird. This is about condemning violence before all else. Once everyone condemns this kind of violence it will happen less often. If the first thing people say is "you don't go round flipping the bird" it gives some in society the idea that being disrespected can be cured with violence. No, it absolutely cannot. People film it, put it on social media, etc, and then everyone condemn together. 

Then, next time someone does something disrespectful, people can think "What an idiot. I'll ignore that and not stoop to a lower level". Some adults never grow out of being a child. That's because they weren't raised properly or raised to know right and wrong. Like when you're a kid and you hit someone for calling you a name. Your teacher scolds you and explains how you don't use violence. The name calling doesn't justify it and you lose all credibility and sympathy. 

Like you said - many people simply don't know not to flip the bird or react with violence. This is why we as a society should remind them that there's never an excuse for violence. This idea is better than simply saying "ah, you know the rules. Show disrespect and get a beating". 

Thailand is the world capital of disproportionate punishment. Fairness is mostly a Western concept.

ID: 94   Posted (edited)

This is why we as a society should remind them that there's never an excuse for violence.

Sorry, not sure what world you are living in, perhaps one with gingerbread castles and lemonade streams, but it's definitely not the real world.  I just keep my nose clean and try not to piss people off, I'll leave the job of trying to change society to the idealistic dreamers.

Edited by giddyup

The German headline could go something like this: "Male of color was savagely attacked by very, very light skinned Thai males."

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

This is why we as a society should remind them that there's never an excuse for violence.

Sorry, not sure what world you are living in, perhaps one with gingerbread castles and lemonade streams, but it's definitely not the real world.  I just keep my nose clean and try not to piss people off, I'll leave the job of trying to change society to the idealistic dreamers.

I live in a world where I deplore violence. I won't feel bad for that. If more people  deplored violence, other people might think twice about doing it. That's better than doing nothing. You don't just shrug your shoulders and accept it. 

I live in a world where I deplore violence. I won't feel bad for that. If more people  deplored violence, other people might think twice about doing it. That's better than doing nothing. You don't just shrug your shoulders and accept it. 

You've got your work cut out for you, there's a lot of it going on. The middle east might be a bit of a challenge.

1 person likes this

On 4/18/2017 at 9:01 AM, cooked said:

(*Rude word*) him

Agreed...the guy was an idiot to try and drive into a small soi during the biggest party of the year...not to excuse the violence, but it was entirely predictable...and he responded in a stupid fashion.

Nigerians are off the scale on sheer arrogance, probably he has an amulet too that makes him invincible ...they just don't work, do they?

On 4/18/2017 at 8:59 AM, tonray said:

The place is a joke...why would anyone want to live there.

Possibly because all the gobby, small-minded, sanctimonious, know nothings live elsewhere.

1 person likes this