webfact

Special Report: Phuket hospitals facing huge losses from uninsured patients

221 posts in this topic

ID: 211   Posted (edited)

A possible solution would be a special hospital tax attached to every lodging bill, and car rental on the island to help reduce the deficit.  If the law is written so as to insure the cash goes to the hospital system, that is.  (yeah, I know...tell me I'm dreaming and the cash raised won't be abused and misappropriated.)

Edited by Ramen087

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2017 at 2:53 PM, webfact said:

or make an adequate deposit before treatment is administered. 

and what would those guidelines be ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My big concern here would be that they would require all non-Thai people (so it includes expats living here long time) to get Medial Insurance from a *specific* provider (and of a specific plan), that may or may not be as good as the coverage we may already be paying for, thus resulting in us paying for *two* medical coverage plans.

 

I.e.: You are not Thai Citizen - You need Health Plan from Government: Expat Happy Health Care.  1000 THB/mo.

 

Max Coverage 300k, Deductible 50k, only usable at Government Hospitals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JayBird said:

My big concern here would be that they would require all non-Thai people (so it includes expats living here long time) to get Medial Insurance from a *specific* provider (and of a specific plan), that may or may not be as good as the coverage we may already be paying for, thus resulting in us paying for *two* medical coverage plans.

 

I.e.: You are not Thai Citizen - You need Health Plan from Government: Expat Happy Health Care.  1000 THB/mo.

 

Max Coverage 300k, Deductible 50k, only usable at Government Hospitals.

 

I would think/assume that my medical insurance would be accepted by the Thai authorities, Why would I need to pay twice ?? I think you are confused with the so called ACA in the USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

 

I would think/assume that my medical insurance would be accepted by the Thai authorities, Why would I need to pay twice ?? I think you are confused with the so called ACA in the USA

 

If you are covered by a medical insurance company that does not operate in Thailand, it may be difficult for the IO to verify your insurance when you come through the gates.  Therefore they might require you to have  Thai compliant health coverage and encourage you to buy it from the vending machine next door or some other mechanism for long-stay people.

 

They could go all out and combine the Health Insurance & Tourist SIM w/ Tracking Device as mandatory and really improve their margins on foreigners :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, simoh1490 said:

Indeed, I read that nineteen governement hospitals in Thailand, some quite large, are broke hence this doesn't improve the picture.

Reminds me of the hospitals in Los Angeles, California in the 80s and 90s.  Many major hospitals went broke and closed as they lost so much money form uninsured people using the emergency room as primary care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a distinction between travel insurance for visitors and health coverage for expats.

I had top private health coverage in Australia, and always purchased travel insurance when touring.

However, travel insurance is not available for long term stay in Thailand, and health insurance rules itself out for someone my age. It's not so much the cost of the premiums, but the exclusions that deny claims for anything pre-existing.

I'm 69 and an expat here for the long term.  I've researched health insurance options here, but found them to be non-existent for my circumstances. Ongoing medical issues require I see several specialists on a regular basis. I pay to attend a private hospital, and have no interest in going to a government establishment to share waiting rooms and wards with the 30 baht hoards. (What can I say, I like the violins in the foyer, and a decent coffee and croissant at the café while waiting for blood tests!)

I pay my way, and would be extremely pissed off if forced to buy a useless insurance plan only good for a public hospital. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it really is not safe in Thailand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

There is a distinction between travel insurance for visitors and health coverage for expats.

I had top private health coverage in Australia, and always purchased travel insurance when touring.

However, travel insurance is not available for long term stay in Thailand, and health insurance rules itself out for someone my age. It's not so much the cost of the premiums, but the exclusions that deny claims for anything pre-existing.

I'm 69 and an expat here for the long term.  I've researched health insurance options here, but found them to be non-existent for my circumstances. Ongoing medical issues require I see several specialists on a regular basis. I pay to attend a private hospital, and have no interest in going to a government establishment to share waiting rooms and wards with the 30 baht hoards. (What can I say, I like the violins in the foyer, and a decent coffee and croissant at the café while waiting for blood tests!)

I pay my way, and would be extremely pissed off if forced to buy a useless insurance plan only good for a public hospital. 

Should be a personal accident policy only not for an illness .anything else u either pay for u self or get it fixed back home.so in case a minivan drives over u at a zebracrossing u then will be assured for hospital treatment till maximum 500,000 bht and in case u die u relatives back hone would receive 1,000,000 bht so they have funds ship back ur body etc.Lot of tourists end up in some sort of accident so these cases need to be covered the insurance cost would be small 500 bht a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

There is a distinction between travel insurance for visitors and health coverage for expats.

I had top private health coverage in Australia, and always purchased travel insurance when touring.

However, travel insurance is not available for long term stay in Thailand, and health insurance rules itself out for someone my age. It's not so much the cost of the premiums, but the exclusions that deny claims for anything pre-existing.

I'm 69 and an expat here for the long term.  I've researched health insurance options here, but found them to be non-existent for my circumstances. Ongoing medical issues require I see several specialists on a regular basis. I pay to attend a private hospital, and have no interest in going to a government establishment to share waiting rooms and wards with the 30 baht hoards. (What can I say, I like the violins in the foyer, and a decent coffee and croissant at the café while waiting for blood tests!)

I pay my way, and would be extremely pissed off if forced to buy a useless insurance plan only good for a public hospital. 

Fair enough, but did you know that you are  most likely overpaying with your  approach?  Health insurers receive a  "discount" on the invoices and there are caps on procedure costs. One option people  should consider is to purchase a "fronting" policy. The insurer  administers the  bills and to the health care provider it looks like the   patient has  a small limit policy. However, the policy holder covers the expenses through the use of a self retention agreement including an amount provided to the insurer that is invested by the health insurer such that it earns interest. Note the  description, small limit. The medical services provider will   invoice more conservatively  if it knows the limit is small. One can then decide what is covered or not covered.  If one is unable to set aside monies in this manner whether through private or  third party methods, one should not be in Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Fair enough, but did you know that you are  most likely overpaying with your  approach?  Health insurers receive a  "discount" on the invoices and there are caps on procedure costs. One option people  should consider is to purchase a "fronting" policy. The insurer  administers the  bills and to the health care provider it looks like the   patient has  a small limit policy. However, the policy holder covers the expenses through the use of a self retention agreement including an amount provided to the insurer that is invested by the health insurer such that it earns interest. Note the  description, small limit. The medical services provider will   invoice more conservatively  if it knows the limit is small. One can then decide what is covered or not covered.  If one is unable to set aside monies in this manner whether through private or  third party methods, one should not be in Thailand.

I have had health insurance cover since I came to Thailand several years ago and also maintain my private cover in Australia

I have never heard of a " fronting policy" but always willing to learn

Could you publish the name of the company or alternatively advise me with a personal reply

Thanks

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 22 July 2017 02:02
Sponsors