webfact

Special Report: Phuket hospitals facing huge losses from uninsured patients

209 posts in this topic

ID: 26   Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, trawler said:

In order to get a Schengen visa for my Thai wife I had to prove that we had a minimum of Euro 30000 health insurance coverage.This applies to all Thais applying for visa's to Europe.So whats wrong with requiring that tourists to Thailand have similar coverage??????

If you wish to live in a foreign country where you are ineligible for local health care then surely you have either health insurance or self cover.

This is common sense and stating that lots of expats here cannot get coverage is not a excuse for becoming a burden on a foreign country.

This nanny state mentality is becoming so pervasive that people are not thinking anything through for themselves.

Talking about not thinking things through: I don't believe it's the farang expats who are the burden, if you read the earlier link provided it seems the greater problem is the 150,000 foreign workers in Phuket who have no insurance and no money.

Edited by simoh1490
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, smedly said:

This country makes a huge amount of money from tourists, it is a vital part of GDP and has been the case for decades, the problem is that there are no safety standards or at least they are not enforced making Thailand (no matter how much they claim otherwise) and extremely dangerous place to holiday.

 

The costs quoted in the OP are not only tiny but are very likely exaggerated, when you consider the actual cost in terms of labour and materials without profit it is no where near what they are quoting.

 

Yes people should have insurance when they go on holiday but equally there is a duty of care to keep visitors safe when they visit Thailand, when they are injured through no fault of their own then Thailand should be willing to step up and compensate. 

 

They have gotten away with this for far too long, they have had decades to improve things but instead stuffed the money in their greedy pockets showing no consideration to improve their health and safety.........and yes I for once agree in this instance of that commonly used Thai phrase - well if they hadn't come to Thailand it wouldn't have happened so it must be their fault, might be time for people to rethink their holiday destinations.

 

If a Thai goes to the UK on holiday they will be treated in hospital like everyone else, the difference being that the likelihood of something happening to them is vastly different.

 

 

So a few million here and there .................so what, you are making trillions in tourism.

Fair comment, but when I see the Russian family up the road going 4 up on a scooter, the youngest probably about 2 or 3 years old, all wearing helmets but the kids helmets didn't fit (you can't get them that small) and he got annoyed when I said "so you don't love your children" well who's fault is it?  The parents have a choice but the kids don't!!  Who is going to come off worse and who will pay for it when they do?  This sort of thing doesn't happen in England or Australia or anywhere else in the civilised world.  There aren't too many motorbikes in Siberia!!  Why do they think tis is OK here, the locals do it from necessity and it is THEIR country, but when it hits the fan they (tourists) expect 1st world treatment and then go home without paying the bill

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with the turn over of regular paying patients i find this banner hard to believe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trawler said:

In order to get a Schengen visa for my Thai wife I had to prove that we had a minimum of Euro 30000 health insurance coverage.This applies to all Thais applying for visa's to Europe.So whats wrong with requiring that tourists to Thailand have similar coverage??????

If you wish to live in a foreign country where you are ineligible for local health care then surely you have either health insurance or self cover.

This is common sense and stating that lots of expats here cannot get coverage is not a excuse for becoming a burden on a foreign country.

This nanny state mentality is becoming so pervasive that people are not thinking anything through for themselves.

The nanny state so commonly quoted here, is usually a country where one has paid taxes all of one's working life, and in return, a pension is paid and also medical care.  

 

Some of the bigger countries do not assist their poor or elderly.  What do you call them?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

A large hospital wrote off 2.7 million baht a year for nine years as a result of unpaid medical bills, that's a very very very small amount by anyone's standards..

yea but it makes it look like we are a problem. sure the profit margin is very good off foreigners. actually i suspect the double pricing become quadruple pricing when an insurance company is being billed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wombat said:

with the turn over of regular paying patients i find this banner hard to believe

 

The hospitals mentioned are governement hospitals not private ones hence most of their patients will be those holding 30 baht type governement insurance. The problem though is the extent of the ageing population in Thailand, just like the UK and the NHS they put the medical care system under strain.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 32   Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

yea but it makes it look like we are a problem. sure the profit margin is very good off foreigners. actually i suspect the double pricing become quadruple pricing when an insurance company is being billed.

When you say "we", who do you mean, farangs or non-Thai's because there's a huge difference?

 

BTW once again the hospital mentioned is a governement hospital hence I doubt they see very many westerns carrying health insurance that can be billed, those patients will end up at Bangkok/Phuket Hospital.

Edited by simoh1490

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year and always only Phuket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, upena said:

Every year and always only Phuket.

Not so, that Phuket hospital is one of 18 governement hospitals that are in the same position, most are in the North.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, smedly said:

actually all they have to do is charge every foreigner 500baht when they enter Thailand and the problem is solved .........................................oh wait they already do that

 

How about stop complaining and take care of visitors here, how many actually end up in hospital and how many end up in hospital because of the none existence of safety

 

 

Thailand needs to take it on the chin and realise that they have a responsibility and duty to take care of people that choose to come here for a holiday............what is 20% of GDP worth

I understand your reasoning but at what point do people take the responsibility for their own actions?  Do you think it is OK for people to come here and expect free medical care when Thailand hasn't the infrastructure of countries like England or Australis etc.  The first thing you have to show to get into Aus is that you will not be a burden on the free medical system.  NONE of these people have or will pay tax here!  My medical insurance costs me $500US a month, and that is my choice, and it doesn't cover me for pre existing conditions either...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Sensible for tourists of course - but what would you suggest for the nearly 3 million resident expats who already live here, many of whom have lived here for ten years or more, are over the 70, have pre-existing conditions and are unable to buy health insurance in Thailand.

Likened to moi, back from India after op ,Thailand price? prob  400,000  to 600,000...India price 35,000   and far better experience

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RigPig said:

Fair comment, but when I see the Russian family up the road going 4 up on a scooter, the youngest probably about 2 or 3 years old, all wearing helmets but the kids helmets didn't fit (you can't get them that small) and he got annoyed when I said "so you don't love your children" well who's fault is it?  The parents have a choice but the kids don't!!  Who is going to come off worse and who will pay for it when they do?  This sort of thing doesn't happen in England or Australia or anywhere else in the civilised world.  There aren't too many motorbikes in Siberia!!  Why do they think tis is OK here, the locals do it from necessity and it is THEIR country, but when it hits the fan they (tourists) expect 1st world treatment and then go home without paying the bill

That is exactly part of the problem concerning road safety - they have no clue how to enforce laws so they don't bother, your Russian friends wouldn't be doing this if they knew for sure they would be getting stopped by police within 5mins ................................ 4 more potential injured hospitalised people avoided

 

But it isn't just road safety - it is a general safety to do with absolutely everything, like I said, Thailand wants all these people to come here and spend time here and spend money here and yet for decades they have made no attempt to improve the environment and standards..................because that costs money and organisation ................................. they have a cheek to complain about a few million baht when a few tourists get injured or sick out of the trillions they stuff in their greedy pockets every year and have done for decades, Thailand was 3rd world 40 years ago and is still 3rd world today...........what went wrong

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made use of the Patong hospital a few years back on one of my first trips to Thailand. The

service was excellent and cost was dirt cheap. The bill was only two thousand baht. I felt

a little guilty at being charged so little so I threw another thousand in the donation bow.

I have to agree with the earlier posters that the amount of the losses quoted are surprisingly

small.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RigPig said:

I understand your reasoning but at what point do people take the responsibility for their own actions?  Do you think it is OK for people to come here and expect free medical care when Thailand hasn't the infrastructure of countries like England or Australis etc.  The first thing you have to show to get into Aus is that you will not be a burden on the free medical system.  NONE of these people have or will pay tax here!  My medical insurance costs me $500US a month, and that is my choice, and it doesn't cover me for pre existing conditions either...

no I don't, but I also expect Thailand to look after the people they invite to come here (read my above post)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, smedly said:

That is exactly part of the problem concerning road safety - they have no clue how to enforce laws so they don't bother, your Russian friends wouldn't be doing this if they knew for sure they would be getting stopped by police within 5mins ................................ 4 more potential injured hospitalised people avoided

 

But it isn't just road safety - it is a general safety to do with absolutely everything, like I said, Thailand wants all these people to come here and spend time here and spend money here and yet for decades they have made no attempt to improve the environment and standards..................because that costs money and organisation ................................. they have a cheek to complain about a few million baht when a few tourists get injured or sick out of the trillions they stuff in their greedy pockets every year and have done for decades, Thailand was 3rd world 40 years ago and is still 3rd world today...........what went wrong

I don't disagree, but (and there is ALWAYS a but) I could answer your question but I would be enroling for "attitude adjustment" haha

Just make sure the terrorists. opps tourists have adequate medical insurance before entry, not complicated really.....

And how much of that sales tax do you really think gets into the hands of the government?  But that's another topic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, webfact said:

According to Methavee Maneesri of Vachira Phuket Hospital, when foreign patients are unable to pay their bills, the hospital has to absorb the expenses. Last year alone, the hospital wrote off 4.3 million baht of unpaid bills incurred by foreign patients. Over the last nine years, Vachira Phuket Hospital says it has written off more than 24 million baht in such losses. 

 

Aaaaah I get it,..... it's the patient's fault, as always. Blame the FALANG for getting killed, and get no moneeeeyyy......................... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a Thai want to travel to a western country, he or she will have to show medical insurance covering the whole period of the visit, when applying for a visa.  Why not just require tourists in Thailand to show medical insurance, before they can enter the country?  Forgetful tourists could be offered medical insurance at immigration at an increased price.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Sensible for tourists of course - but what would you suggest for the nearly 3 million resident expats who already live here, many of whom have lived here for ten years or more, are over the 70, have pre-existing conditions and are unable to buy health insurance in Thailand.


That is the exact reason why expats are required to have 400,000 in the bank.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who say the amount is small, will it then be oksy for me to go to Europe, UK, US uninsured and get free medical treatment there? Unfortunately not I must provide proof of insurrance before my visa is issued. As for those who have forgotten that the issue of a forced tourist insurrance is as old as this forum. The govrrment wanted to do it a while back but then didnt implement it. 

Many of those who come here without insurrance are dead beats which spend a minimum. I would like a state based system which charge all tourist a flat amount included in your airplane ticket or payable at the border of over land entry. They should also provide an option for expats or long stayers to pay towards medical insurrance. At present my SS contribution is about B 480 per month, so a premium of B 500 pm pp should do. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, the guest said:

If the government was smart, it would make it compulsory for all foreigners to have full insurance before a visa would be granted. It solves a lot of problems.

Then there follows the problem many expats can not get insurance or are chucked out reaching 70.

Time for the government to do something about the plan for state insurance, on hold for the last two years.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, henry15 said:

So if some drunk idiot on a motorbike who even don't wear an helmet, has an accident, he should not  have to pay for his medical bills.

if laws were enforced properly he would not be drunk riding a motorbike

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, smedly said:

This country makes a huge amount of money from tourists, it is a vital part of GDP and has been the case for decades, the problem is that there are no safety standards or at least they are not enforced making Thailand (no matter how much they claim otherwise) and extremely dangerous place to holiday.

 

The costs quoted in the OP are not only tiny but are very likely exaggerated, when you consider the actual cost in terms of labour and materials without profit it is no where near what they are quoting.

 

Yes people should have insurance when they go on holiday but equally there is a duty of care to keep visitors safe when they visit Thailand, when they are injured through no fault of their own then Thailand should be willing to step up and compensate. 

 

They have gotten away with this for far too long, they have had decades to improve things but instead stuffed the money in their greedy pockets showing no consideration to improve their health and safety.........and yes I for once agree in this instance of that commonly used Thai phrase - well if they hadn't come to Thailand it wouldn't have happened so it must be their fault, might be time for people to rethink their holiday destinations.

 

If a Thai goes to the UK on holiday they will be treated in hospital like everyone else, the difference being that the likelihood of something happening to them is vastly different.

 

 

So a few million here and there .................so what, you are making trillions in tourism.

Totally agree..... But you forgot to mention the amount of money these businesses (whoops sorry I meant hospitals) rip off from foreigners. I know for a fact they charge Thais a lower rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 27 April 2017 02:33
Sponsors