webfact

Special Report: Phuket hospitals facing huge losses from uninsured patients

209 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Well I don't know but if I was a local and owned 50% and up of the shares in the island`s car dealers, 10 - 35% of the shares in the Island`s private hospitals then I think status quo with the traffic and transport problems would be just fine.:whistling:

I see your point.

The private hospitals on Phuket must be making huge money from motorbike accidents here.

I only looked at it from an admission statistic perspective, however, the baht turnover for them must be considerable. 

On 18.04.2017 at 0:32 PM, simoh1490 said:

Sensible for tourists of course - but what would you suggest for the nearly 3 million resident expats who already live here, many of whom have lived here for ten years or more, are over the 70, have pre-existing conditions and are unable to buy health insurance in Thailand.

This should be considered as cruelty of Thai's . For those who do not know...; Those expats usualy spent whole they life savings living there and their age pension . On top of this a lot of them having families with local woman having children and they always must expect to trown out or refused visa. 

This the reason for me that I changed my mind to stay in this country as expat. This is just clear cruelty and I do not want to pretend I feel OK  and smile in LOS. At least Thailand should make a little different rules for this kind of farangs.

So come up with a policy for foreigners that live in Thailand.  I'm telling you I was not allowed to leave the hospital until my bill was paid

18 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

So come up with a policy for foreigners that live in Thailand.  I'm telling you I was not allowed to leave the hospital until my bill was paid

Until quite recently, no Thai company would offer medical insurance to anyone aged over 65, you simply couldn't get it here. That left the foreign majors such as BUPA and Cigna which are very expensive. The problem today for many is that they are in the 65 to 75 range and whilst they are now able to buy insurance locally the cost is the same as the overseas majors but the contracts are not as strictly enforceable, that means the company can cancel almost at will. 

There are solutions out there, but, they require political will - ONE POSSIBLE ANSWER, would be for Thailand to examine the COMPULSORY Schengen “style” visa HEALTH insurance scheme AND FUND IT THEMSELVES – NO INSURANCE COMPANIES.

Approx Calculations (From Euro to Baht) to enable a common currency:-

TOURISTS

30 million tourists (2015 figures 29.8 million) each with a compulsory health policy @ approx 700 Baht each SAME AS SCHENGEN POLICY

Approx income:- Twenty-one BILLION Baht. You would not want those that cannot afford 700 Baht anyhow?

READ THE SCHENGEN POLICY http://bit.ly/2g13Ip3 Europe can do it, so can Thailand.

EXPATS

Long Term visa holders must pay REGARDLESS OF AGE. About 1,100 Baht each and every month – For FULL access to Thai PUBLIC Hospital System. Pr-existing conditions, same as Schengen policy.

This does NOT stop the filthy rich having their own policy, BUT, it does NOT mean they need not pay – see the word COMPULSORY on the first line.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, MalandLee said:

There are solutions out there, but, they require political will - ONE POSSIBLE ANSWER, would be for Thailand to examine the COMPULSORY Schengen “style” visa HEALTH insurance scheme AND FUND IT THEMSELVES – NO INSURANCE COMPANIES.

Approx Calculations (From Euro to Baht) to enable a common currency:-

TOURISTS

30 million tourists (2015 figures 29.8 million) each with a compulsory health policy @ approx 700 Baht each SAME AS SCHENGEN POLICY

Approx income:- Twenty-one BILLION Baht. You would not want those that cannot afford 700 Baht anyhow?

READ THE SCHENGEN POLICY http://bit.ly/2g13Ip3 Europe can do it, so can Thailand.

EXPATS

Long Term visa holders must pay REGARDLESS OF AGE. About 1,100 Baht each and every month – For FULL access to Thai PUBLIC Hospital System. Pr-existing conditions, same as Schengen policy.

This does NOT stop the filthy rich having their own policy, BUT, it does NOT mean they need not pay – see the word COMPULSORY on the first line.

The problem in the OP is not about tourists or western expat retirees who live here. The problem is the some 2 million Burmese, Cambodian and Laotian workers who come here to work on construction projects, fishing boats and other labour intensive areas where's there's a shortage of labour. Requiring those people to buy compulsory insurance at 1,100 baht a month is simply not going to work, that's why the Thai government started to allow them access to the Thai 30 baht medical scheme. If the problem were western tourists/expats, most of them could be held to ransom by the hospitals until their bill was paid, holding a Burmese labourer to ransom gets them nowhere fast.

On 18/4/2560 at 6:28 PM, the guest said:

If the government was smart, it would make it compulsory for all foreigners to have full insurance before a visa would be granted. It solves a lot of problems.

yeh they should start with the no of UNINSURED THAI DRIVERS who cause accidents to tourists,that might solve a few problems.

What about the consideration for the thousands of Thais that have either received or are receiving, in many other parts of the world, medical assistance!?

Every time I've had to attend either a clinic or hospital, within Thailand, I've always had to pay, including the birth of my two Thai born children, plus the Thai family and hanger ones, that have all had some form of medical assistance in the past and at my expense, a foreigner.

Poor management coupled with extortion and corruption, springs to mind.

Why not blame tourists and ex pats for their incompetence...

Yet another form of scape goat!

FACE cannot be LOST...

ID: 209   Posted (edited)

I liked the Christmas ad that went something like this (private hospital of course)  '  here is my gift to you..  (results from a full medical check-up from this hospital)   good health to you from me...but an empty wallet...sorry

This is Phuket hospitals,...for a   non-life threatening injuries,broken bones etc  the border is not far,get it strapped up ,  at far less cost than Thailand,..and Alor Star is not far off,have know jet skiers travelling down to Penang for broken bones after accidents in Phuket  ...for free too

Edited by teddog