Jonathan Fairfield

British PM May calls for early election on June 8

393 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, JackScarlett said:

A message to all Remainers:   Forget party loyalties and vote Liberal Democrat.   With Tim as leader we can change the direction that the UK is being taken by the hardliners in the Toffs Party.   We can tell Mrs Mayhem that she is wrong and that she should be careful what she wishes for.  By voting Liberal Democrat and giving Saint Theresa a bloody nose, maybe she will go back to her walking holidays and leave the real politics to the brilliant leader that Tim is,

Yes telling people how to vote on here is going to make a difference. Difference somewhere between 0 and 1.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

... or could it be that they do not want to expose her to possibly awkward and potentially damaging questions?

Such as?

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Such as?

I don't think that any politician can claim to be bullet proof, and I am sure that many people can think of a whole host of questions that would make TM squirm, but for starters, how about why she called this now, after repeatedly stating that she would not call a snap election? Just last month No 10 issued a statement saying that calling an early election was, "... not something she plans to do or wishes to do". Why then, the volte face? Would Thatcher have done this?

The UK no longer has a 2 party election system so calculating the number of MP's based on Polls has become more complex.

It is unlikely that the Tories will have the overall majority of 100 being predicted by some newspapers. A majority of 40-50 is more realistic.

There are still a lot of Labour supporters who will never vote Tory even though they know in their hearts that Corbyn is useless.

The result on June 8th will definately make the Government's Brexit task a lot easier and anyone that believes that Brexit can be stopped does not understand the UK Constitution.

14 hours ago, Slip said:

Brexit referundum2?  Quite clever of her.

Missed your post on first skip through the thread.

Now that I've seen it you might have a point.

I would call it a definite maybe.

16 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't think that any politician can claim to be bullet proof, and I am sure that many people can think of a whole host of questions that would make TM squirm, but for starters, how about why she called this now, after repeatedly stating that she would not call a snap election? Just last month No 10 issued a statement saying that calling an early election was, "... not something she plans to do or wishes to do". Why then, the volte face? Would Thatcher have done this?

True and admittedly May doesn't always come across quite as... mellifluous as Cameron or Blair did.

However, why did she change her mind and call the snap election instead of waiting for 2020 as she suggested when she got the PM's job? Probably a reality check considering the slim majority her party currently holds and the internal challenges to both Brexit and the budget. There's a fractious but not inconsiderable amount of Conservative MP's who are quietly still 'on the fence' regarding Brexit particularly those representing constituencies that were much closer to the remain camp. There's also no consensus on the Tory budget. As suggested in the Telegraph, maybe she means to "set fire to Cameronism". At the same time, Labour struggles with anything close to being a viable opposition so the possibility gaining a few Labour seats can only dilute the impact of Tory infighting while pushing Labour further into the wilderness (and another leadership challenge). SD and UKIP will be the also-rans... again.

I may be wrong, but Thatcher may have defended successive smaller majorities but similarly, the opposition from other parties back then was also a bit of a mess.

Sturgeon got it right when she stated that this snap election decision is purely politically motivated... but I don't think one has to be the leader of yet another also-ran party to work that one out for oneself.

35 minutes ago, JackScarlett said:

If she gets a further five years in 2017 that will take he through to 2022 and then she can retire with a large pension and tour the world telling audiences how she was sabotaged by the opposition parties and then run to the bank with the large cheques she will receive for spouting rubbish. 

... as an alternative to being unable to suck on the EU teat as a MEP in Strasbourg or Brussels.

2 people like this

ID: 88   Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Bannoi said:

My Prediction after the election there will be a Labour/Lib Dem/SNP coalition thereby keeping the Tory's out so it is just possible Jeremy Corbyn could be Prime Minister however unlikely that may appear at the moment and possibly another referendum to see if the people really want to leave the EU.

A Labour/Lib Dem/SNP coalition???  That would need a whole lotta love between those 3 parties PLUS a whole lotta hate for the Tories, neither of which are there, sorry.

Edited by NanLaew
2 people like this

For once a half decent article in the Guardian. Hopefully after this election we can get on with the job of getting out of the EU and those who are still complaining will finally be quiet.

The remoaners have their second referendum-this election.

"It is true that among parts of the EU leadership, and the European public, there remains a lingering belief – something more than wistful regret – that the British people can be helped to change their mind. Even though article 50 has been triggered, many EU lawyers believe a legal route is available for Britain to revoke Brexit, probably through a Commons vote in the winter of 2018."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/18/mays-real-reason-for-calling-election-to-show-eu-that-brexit-really-means-brexit

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

A Labour/Lib Dem/SNP coalition???  That would need a whole lotta love between those 3 parties PLUS a whole lotta hate for the Tories, neither of which are there, sorry.

Love there may not be but hate from at least two of them there certainly is and all three share a desire to keep the Tories out even if their reasons for doing so differ.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's a shame that both Labour and the Lib Dems don't have more electable leaders; a David Steele or a Tony Blair would be nice.

Lib Dems have nobody...

My recommendation would have been Ming, down to earth, able to think for himself and a nice guy. but their is no time for any party to ditch their leader and select another before June...

LibDems would do better accepting there is no going back on Brexit and focusing  on a soft Brexit and the issues in the care system.

Tories heve done nothing to defuse the ticking time bomb of care for the elderly and disabled and nailed their flag to the Hard Brexit flag pole.

Labour could not at this time agree on what biscuits to have at a meeting, their answer to the care problem is spend money we do not have, and on Europe they have not a clue...

Sturgeon, still whinging on for Indy2ref and a Brexit u turn...  

As for UKIP seem Nigel has forgotten he is caretaker party leader and no one in UKIP can remember which bar they left him propping up...

1 person likes this

A Labour/LD/SNP coalition?

Now that would be interesting & highly unlikely as the leadership contest would be a bloodbath.

As for Blair & Farron....Tony is an egotist & craves power but realistically & thankfully will not return to a leadership position, Corybn despite what he says on tv is no UK leader & Farron is more of a clown than Sturgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Lib Dems have nobody...

My recommendation would have been Ming, down to earth, able to think for himself and a nice guy. but their is no time for any party to ditch their leader and select another before June...

LibDems would do better accepting there is no going back on Brexit and focusing  on a soft Brexit and the issues in the care system.

Tories heve done nothing to defuse the ticking time bomb of care for the elderly and disabled and nailed their flag to the Hard Brexit flag pole.

Labour could not at this time agree on what biscuits to have at a meeting, their answer to the care problem is spend money we do not have, and on Europe they have not a clue...

Sturgeon, still whinging on for Indy2ref and a Brexit u turn...  

As for UKIP seem Nigel has forgotten he is caretaker party leader and no one in UKIP can remember which bar they left him propping up...

Caretaker? I thought he was the undertaker for UKIP! 🙂

1 person likes this

Is there any national party running against the madness?

6 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Why bend over to please foreigners? Sad how weak poms are these days.

Thailand doesnt

You obviously don't understand the issues, sorry to say 🙂

1 person likes this

The idea for a snap GE was not an idea dreamed upon an Easter Monday walk with her husband...

This was advice from Conservative Central Office, like F1 they have people on the pit wall glued to computer advising when to call their drivers in for a pit stop...

The timing has never been so good for the Tories.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, pegman said:

Is there any national party running against the madness?

Lib Dems

1 person likes this

Personally I am waiting to see the  ''I am going to work for you as I am an elected public servant''  as opposed to the ''Jam tomorrow folks if we are elected to enrich our personal self serving political and financial aims policies'' so beloved by today's M P's of all shades.

Politicians are  motivated by personal power have no illusions, the days of the crusading constituency politician's sadly have long gone.

''You get the government you deserve,'' or so the saying goes, lets see what is  served up  by the great British public as the next course in the U K political power restaurant.

"Stands the church clock at ten to three? And is there honey still for tea?

Oh yes guvnor,  it's not Jam tomorrow,  now it's honey tomorrow, Well  it is for me as an M P anyway,  be patient your Jam is on its way though!!!!:saai:

1 person likes this