webfact

France arrests men suspected of planning attack ahead of elections

23 posts in this topic

Just now, LammyTS1 said:

Who mentioned this case being special?

I just hope that the person arrested in the OP is not let off so lightly like most other Muslim terrorists appearing to be known by police....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Are most other Muslim terrorists being let off lightly by the police? Evidence?

Are most other Muslim terrorists being let off lightly by the police? Evidence?

Yes most certainly. The fact that so many Muslim terrorist attacks are by "known" fanatics proves so.

Why are they free to roam the streets?

Off topic deflection posts and replies have been removed. 

1 person likes this

ID: 19   Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Yes most certainly. The fact that so many Muslim terrorist attacks are by "known" fanatics proves so.

Why are they free to roam the streets?

You could ask the same question regards the extreme right / left.

These days I would guess most Islamist extremists resident in Western countries are careful not to cross over the legal lines in the sand and call for violence. Unless there is actual evidence of support for violence (e.g. funding), planning and so on I understand the Courts are unable to successfully prosecute. The prospect of preventative detention has been floated, but as far as I know such action only creates more problems, does not reduce actual threat.

Edited by simple1

37 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You could ask the same question regards the extreme right / left.

These days I would guess most Islamist extremists resident in Western countries are careful not to cross over the legal lines in the sand and call for violence. Unless there is actual evidence of support for violence (e.g. funding), planning and so on I understand the Courts are unable to successfully prosecute. The prospect of preventative detention has been floated, but as far as I know such action only creates more problems, does not reduce actual threat.

You couldn't ask the same question regards the extreme right/left because the extreme right/left aren't routinely involved in acts of terrorism. Whereas extrteme islamicists are.

A better question is: Why does the liberal left do intellectual triple somersaults to normalise islamic terrorism in the context of radical politics? Though you have astutely identified that laws in the west urgently need to be de-liberalised/de-sensitised culturally in order to curtail radical extremists playing the system.

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

You couldn't ask the same question regards the extreme right/left because the extreme right/left aren't routinely involved in acts of terrorism. Whereas extrteme islamicists are.

A better question is: Why does the liberal left do intellectual triple somersaults to normalise islamic terrorism in the context of radical politics? Though you have astutely identified that laws in the west urgently need to be de-liberalised/de-sensitised culturally in order to curtail radical extremists playing the system.

Regards your first para. Not the same tempo of murders, but from time to time, definitely.  Plus of course street level violence.

Normalise Islamic terror - LOL. If one listens to the security agencies Ideologues from the right of politics only add to the current challenges and more to the point are not perceived as having any 'solutions'. Unfortunately comments that I have seen in the public domain from Western security agencies all point to a long threat with no quick and easy solutions and especially not by vilification of the general Muslim population.

15 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I'm not suggesting but stating that the risk of dying from a terrorist attack in France is vanishingly small.  Yet some people such as yourself think it's such a crucial issue that it should be determinative of who is the next French President. If you want zero risk from a terrorist attack, you probably would need to live in a country like North Korea. Maybe for you that's an acceptable tradeoff.

Fully agree with these common sense remarks.

Let us add that with the Le Pen family affair (father, daughter, son-in-law, niece ...) it is certain that the remedy would be infinitely worse than the evil.

And as said elsewhere, nothing is worse than a politics reactive to the emotion provoked by punctual incidents.

2 people like this

Policies on preventing future terrorist activities will be at the forefront of this election:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/20/paris-police-close-part-city-centre-amid-reports-officers-shot/

"François Fillon, the conservative candidate who also has a tough discourse on security, said the fight against "Islamist totalitarianism" should be the priority of France's next president."