cooked

Sygic (or similar) versus Google maps.

6 posts in this topic

I have been using Google maps for years here and have really appreciated them. However having made a few wrong turns around Srirachah recently (20 minutes detour the last one) due to the internet signal telling me to take the next exit just a bit too late, and rerouting sometimes taking too long to work,

I am now looking at Sygic:

Rerouting is instantaneous which I like and I like the map better too. It did freeze on me today but started working again as soon as I was moving forward again.

So, on Monday, overcast conditions blocked the GPS signal (I assume), same as sometimes happened back home with my Tomtom. Following up on this I realised that windscreen tinting affects GPS reception also. I also dislike the constant babble advising me on how fast to take a curve, about speed limits and about five words ending with something like "ARRRAAAAR" that I haven't deciphered yet, that pop up occasionally.

Anybody with experience of both apps?

How about battery usage? I can just about keep my iPhone topped up if the cable doesn't get dislodged, I imagine that using heads up navigation and real time traffic is an additional burden for battery life on Sygic?

It sounds as if you may have voice navigation turned on and in a foreign language. The alerts it gives can be disabled for road numbers. The language can be changed, as well as the voice, and you can turn it off completely.

You can customise the distances, speeds sharpness of curves at which warnings sound or turn them off. 

I have HUD but not real time traffic as I run it on an iPhone with no SIM. I can't comment about battery life as mine is on charge in when in use.

I've been using the Android TomTom app extensively this month. It did cost me GBP34 for three years use but this does include worldwide maps and real-time traffic updates (where available). I've found that it works pretty well.

1 person likes this

On 4/19/2017 at 0:01 PM, cooked said:

overcast conditions blocked the GPS signal (I assume), same as sometimes happened back home with my Tomtom. Following up on this I realised that windscreen tinting

The cloud won't affect GPS signals much but not sure on screen tinting or what kinds there are? 

I have used both Google Maps and Sygic but not for a couple of years for navigating. I found Sygic to be too slow rerouting and as its not entirely free so I switched to "Here" maps on Android and also "MapsMe". Both are free, work offline so no data charges but also no traffic news if needed, and offer fast rerouting. "Here" offers 3D maps and internal building maps in big cities. "MapsMe" offers layer addon of what can be very large klm or kmz files for any user specific way-points. They don't offer correct traffic lane directing at motorway junctions which is one thing I miss from Sygic. 

On 22/04/2017 at 4:17 PM, KittenKong said:

I've been using the Android TomTom app extensively this month. It did cost me GBP34 for three years use but this does include worldwide maps and real-time traffic updates (where available). I've found that it works pretty well.

One nice feature of this is that you can plan your complex routes on your PC via the MyTomTom website and, when finished, send them to your phone with one click.

Well I paid for Sygic premium and wish I hadn't. The maps are out of date as I found out getting seriously lost in Chonburi and again around Nakhon Sawan. Going the wrong way down an expressway during the rush hour isn't a joke.

The route planning is hopeless, I was given routes that I had never taken before, and added considerable time (12 hours instead of 10) to my trip.

I ended up near Saraburi during Friday evening rush hour thanks to Sygic, who further tried to direct me over Korat, which is bad enough most times and especially to be avoided on a Friday. I know that there is a traffic option for Sygic but the whole point is that with Sygic you shouldn't need internet. It constantly told me to do a U turn' on a road that I know to be 30 minutes faster. Etc.

Hey ho, so after one week and 3500Km back to Google maps it is then, I know that these systems don't have a brain but what I have suffered over the last week has been intolerable. Luckily I did take my iPhone with me.

Sygic just isn't to be trusted. I did like the instant re-routing and the easy to read  maps including lane guidance and junction views, but that's it.