Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Songkran hit by violence

englishinsiam    173

We went to the wife's village for songkran. Each area has their day for playing there. We play 14th and 14th only.

Normally no issues but this year one of the neighbouring village's turned up to cause trouble and one started waving a gun around.

My crazy sister in law told him to grow up and piss off. And surprisingly he did. I told my sister in law never do something so stupid again. They have already lost a brother to a gun we don't want to lose another i told her.

Before that we went to the neighbouring village to play because our niece was in the Miss Songkran competition. A couple started drinking and playing water with me. We had a good laugh on Sang Som and spraying each other.

I later found out the male of the 2 went on his bike after came off and now his face is disfigured.

Just 2 incidents this year in a normally small trouble free area.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

DLang    2,506

*smiles smiles smiles smiles smiles extreme violence using machetes and homemade guns.*

How Thais deal with life's little issues. :sad:

ysamui    18
Posted (edited)

Songkran in Chiang Mai in 1950. Can't see too many falangs here.

1950-CM-Songkran-10.jpg

1950 6.jpg

1950-CM-Songkran-9.jpg

Edited by ysamui
  • Like 2

FunkyDunky58    148

Young boys with weapons and big egos, boys in adult skins pampered by their mothers who have become entitled, low EQ, low IQ, incapable of dealing with loss, rejection, or that terrible plague 'loss of face'. What a pathetic generation we are now seeing. Are these Thailan's future leaders?

• Like 2

mommysboy    1,395
5 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Please forgive jimstar , his strongest subject at school might of been sport  , a bit like Beckham .

Pot, kettle, black. :post-4641-1156694572:

englishinsiam    173
Young boys with weapons and big egos, boys in adult skins pampered by their mothers who have become entitled, low EQ, low IQ, incapable of dealing with loss, rejection, or that terrible plague 'loss of face'. What a pathetic generation we are now seeing. Are these Thailan's future leaders?

Fortunately i also know some very well educated modern thinking young Thais.

There is hope for the country but a drastic change in the country based mindset needs to change for it too really prosper.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

LawrenceN    454
6 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Please forgive jimstar , his strongest subject at school might of been sport  , a bit like Beckham .

... might have ...

elgordo38    9,505
4 hours ago, englishinsiam said:

We went to the wife's village for songkran. Each area has their day for playing there. We play 14th and 14th only.

Normally no issues but this year one of the neighbouring village's turned up to cause trouble and one started waving a gun around.

My crazy sister in law told him to grow up and piss off. And surprisingly he did. I told my sister in law never do something so stupid again. They have already lost a brother to a gun we don't want to lose another i told her.

Before that we went to the neighbouring village to play because our niece was in the Miss Songkran competition. A couple started drinking and playing water with me. We had a good laugh on Sang Som and spraying each other.

I later found out the male of the 2 went on his bike after came off and now his face is disfigured.

Just 2 incidents this year in a normally small trouble free area.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What is the multiplier factor???

ikke    1,763

Bring happiness to the people !

CG1 Blue    112

I used to like Songkran in Samui a few years back.  It was all quite light hearted, and people mainly only used buckets. It was about mixing with the locals and joining in with their celebrations.  Boozy still of course, but respectful.

More recently Songkran in Samui seems to have been taken over by hyperactive, farang white vested gym bunnies with beards and huge sophisticated water guns; the bigger the better it seems. It's become more of a mass water fight for macho egos rather than 'playing' with water. I avoid Songkran these days for those reasons.   

God I sound old...

• Like 1

elgordo38    9,505
1 hour ago, englishinsiam said:

Why do you say that?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well sir 2 serious incidents in a small area one would have to wonder the consequences and the number there of in the whole country just supposin.

mommysboy    1,395
5 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Well sir 2 serious incidents in a small area one would have to wonder the consequences and the number there of in the whole country just supposin.

I agree with what you are saying, but my understanding of the multiplier effect comes from economics, where it refers to a chain of events, so a factory closes down and not only does it result in the workers being unemployed, but also ancilliary workers, in turn the local shopkeeper, and then the paperboy. Hence it goes 1000- 400- 200-100, etc.

I guess you could say that witnessing scenes of violence in Bkk, or elsewhere, leads to some incidents in villages. That would be a sort of multiplier effect.

ChakaKhan    279

This article seems like a good idea for the TAT for next years arrivals...

Land of Smiles!!!  Such passive friendly people--yada yada...:saai:

• Like 1

manarak    4,205
12 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I think the stupid Farangs are mainly responsible for being aggressive and drunk in Pattaya at Songcran.

lol.

this is a very ignorant statement. 99% of that violence occurs without any foreigner around.

• Like 1